Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has posted a new update for the MacBook and MacBook Pro which corrects an incorrect default setting on some MacBooks and MacBook Pros:
This update enables file system journaling on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems were shipped with file system journaling turned off. Journaling is recommended on all Mac computers as a preventative measure against file corruption.

Article Link

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
MacBook & MacBook Pro Update

This :apple: update is only for the mid 2007 (2.2ghz + 2.4ghz) models

Comment

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
My MBP has been absolutely perfect for the last four months. No yellow screen, no static through the headphone jack, never had a kernel panic.

I installed this update and now I'm having serious banding issues on my screen... it looks like there are bands moving up my screen; although I don't really understand why an update to enable journaling would create display issues.

I don't know what to do!

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Well it is correct, journaling does appear to be turned off on my MB. However the steps I have to go through after this update look annoying. I have 3 MB's in this house, that I have to do this to, ugh.

Comment

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
Central Coast, California
I checked disk utility and I have journaling enabled, and yet software update still finds this update and says I should install it.

Why would this be?

I'm nervous! My system is running very well as it is! :(

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I checked disk utility and I have journaling enabled, and yet software update still finds this update and says I should install it.

I'm in the same boat as you for my sisters MB. Journaling is enabled, so do I just ignore this update forever, or install it anyway knowing full well it's not going to do anything.

I booted off the disc afterwards and my volume passed verification fine.

Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
That's weird. I had noticed that it wasn't Journaled when I ran Onyx. Since then, I've done an Archive and Install so it's all better.

By the way, I installed the update (but obviously didn't do the rest of the steps since it's already journaled) and nothing different happened.

Comment

fhdogs

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
AMAZING!!! After several months of my 17? MBP deciding it didn’t want to boot, constant FSCK’s and the such, calling Apple, and visiting several stores. They finally found the problem!

Too bad I already figured it out a few weeks ago and fixed this myself.

Oh well glad to see they are taking care of others.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Software Update will only know that you have a MacBook or MacBook pro.

It won't know whether file system journaling is off or indeed on.

Hence the update getting pushed out to everyone.

Comment

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
How do you check that journalling is turned on?

My recent MacBook is not seeing this update.

Comment

oligore

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
My C2D macBook doesn't show any update in apple update. Maybe it's the older ones only.

Comment

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Well, damn. I've had now 4 instances of my 17" MBP (2.33 C2D) either corrupting its own hard drive beyond bootability (requiring reformat) or destroying it altogether (requiring replacement). I've had three different hard drives from two different manufacturers have failures in the past 6 months I've owned this machine. It's got to be something on the logic board that's off, as this can't just be bad luck.

I was hoping for an update like this that would (a) apply to my machine, and (b) patch something on the logic board. Sigh...

I guess for now my MBP will still continue to eat hard drives, and I'll continue never being able to trust it. :/ I look forward to my next AppleCare call, where I'll be within protocol to receive a new machine.

Comment

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Someone asked how this could happen-presumably someone just forgot to turn it on on their default software loadout.

AMAZING!!! After several months of my 17? MBP deciding it didn’t want to boot, constant FSCK’s and the such, calling Apple, and visiting several stores. They finally found the problem!

This shouldn't be causing those issues, and shouldn't fix them. Enabling journaling should help prevent file corruption, but OSes never used to have it and did fine, and you shouldn't need that kind of constant intervention just because journaling was off. I'd think something else is wrong with your system (or software install).

My C2D macBook doesn't show any update in apple update. Maybe it's the older ones only.

No, it's only the newest models.

Well, damn. I've had now 4 instances of my 17" MBP (2.33 C2D) either corrupting its own hard drive beyond bootability (requiring reformat) or destroying it altogether (requiring replacement). I've had three different hard drives from two different manufacturers have failures in the past 6 months I've owned this machine. It's got to be something on the logic board that's off, as this can't just be bad luck.

Yeah, sounds like something wrong.

Comment

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone SCP-2300/CA/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

haha, i noticed journaling was turned off about two months ago and wondered why. i knew it was supposed to be enabled...

Comment

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
there are a lot of updates that pop up on my MBP but I'm afraid to do them because everything runs perfectly right now.

Comment

Hard-Hat-Mac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Philly Burbs
Well it is correct, journaling does appear to be turned off on my MB. However the steps I have to go through after this update look annoying. I have 3 MB's in this house, that I have to do this to, ugh.

Why didn't they mention this in the update - is it necessary? I verified and repaired permission and when i did verify HD it said it was OK.

Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I reinstalled the system within an hour of having it out of the box. Saved a few gigs of space and, apparenty, the hassle of not having journaling enabled. :)

Comment

stewie3128

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Think it'll fix BootCamp?

I *just* tried installing the public beta of BootCamp last night on my 2.2MBP, and it said it couldn't partition the drive b/c journaling wasn't turned on.

... Disk Utility says that it is Journaled, though... I wonder if this patch would fix it.

If people are getting screen banding issues with the patch, though, I'm reticent to install it.

Comment

ryan.axiom

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Why didn't they mention this in the update - is it necessary? I verified and repaired permission and when i did verify HD it said it was OK.

They did mention it in the update. It was in the description, where it said click *here* for what to do after installing.

If journaling is enabled this won't really do anything.

No banding here, but all this did was verify that mine was journaled...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.