macbook motherboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lynx44, Aug 14, 2013.

1. lynx44 macrumors newbie

first off hi to everyone i'm new to the forum. well I got a 2008 unibody macbook and it stopped working and the light on the charger does not come on. so I opened the computer up and looked around. I did not see anything that looked bad but when I put my hand on the motherboard I got burnt on a chip. now my question is what is this chip? it says 8904c-f delta 0913 its a little black chip near the power jack. and does this sound like whats causing my problem?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Picture might help. Also, I think (80% certainty) that the burnt chip is the power controller.

3. lynx44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will get a pic as soon as I take one. I was on the computer I smelled something burning and the computer went out. just my luck. but where I work I am able to change the chip and I think they are very cheap to buy.

4. lynx44 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK finding this chip is harder then I thought. And I do not want to go through a broker. If anybody has a bad motherboard with this chip on it and want to sell it let me know.

5. Ichabod., Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

Ichabod. macrumors regular

I have a 2008 unibody MB and I seem to have a similar issue as you with the charge cable light not coming on (and some other minor logic board issues). But the computer still charges properly.

I investigated buying a motherboard on ebay / ifixit / etc. They seem to cost around $400, but I can't really justify spending that. :(

Edit: I suppose you could buy a broken mother board on ebay or whatever site for considerably less and take a chance at replacing the chip itself, depending on how skilled you are.