Macbook not booting from Corsair Ram.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Makaveli7, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Makaveli7 macrumors newbie

Well my topic speaks for itself really. Today I received my Corsair Value Select 2GB kit PC2-5300, and my Macbook seems to not boot up. All I get is a black screen and some noise from the notebook. Maybe it's a defective memory module, who knows, but this Monday I'm exchanging it to see if it helps. Some people are stating it might be faulty ram sticks, so maybe they are right. After knowing that my new ram sticks do not work, I then inserted back the factory ram. Now it works as it did in the first place, but still stuck with 1 GB:( . Anyways, just hope someone on here can give me some advice or help with the situation I am currently in.

Thanks in advance.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you securely place the RAM sticks?
    Some problems arise if you leave the sticks loose.

Did you make sure the Ram you bought was Mac compatible?
    Hardware parts have to be Mac OS X compliant as OS X does not run on any hardware, has be Apple approved or branded.

Does the speed of the RAM sticks match or is lower than the speed that is compatible withe the laptop?
    RAM is compatible backwards (ei higher RAM stick speed are supported by lower RAM speed motherboards, not vice-versa)

hope it helps

3. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Well the ram I purchased was http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=410416. A lot of users who have purchased it has used it for their Macbook's. Some users have experienced faulty sticks, and the Mac just wouldnt work. I made sure the Ram was inserted tightly in it's slot, so I am more than certain it's properly seated in where it's suppose to =). Check out the ram and you tell me what you think. If lets say the exchange goes wrong again, what should I do? The store is closed for the weekend, so my best bet is to show up on Monday to hand them the product. Then after that they will have to ship it to their head office to get another copy of the ram.

Once again, thank you.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a refund and buy this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227247

Only $51 after rebates. And yes it works.

5. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I always loved OCZ, maybe I will get OCZ instead of Corsair. From looking at that link you suggested, it seems it may not work with my "Macbook". My Macbook requires PC2-5300, not PC2-5400. Would PC2-5400 cause the ram chips not to work with my Macbook?

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It is also a 4gb kit as opposed to the 2gb kit you got. Much better deal.

I would double check to see if they were seated properly. You really need to push hard to get them in. If your thumbs are not red and sore, you did not push hard enough.

7. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL that's funny :p. Well from what I know, it was pushed in as far as it could go lol. At the end of it I remember saying, "Holy ****, why can't it just go in easy".:p I thought if the PC2 does not match to what the computer needs such as PC2-5300 for the mac, it wouldn't work?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

NewEgg does not ship to Canada

The OCZ RAM is not guaranteed compatible by OCZ or NewEgg, and a number of members here and elsewhere have reported it not working in their Macs when installed -- reports are that it works if an Apple module is in the machine but not when these modules are installed in a pair or alone. This might indicate improper SPD programming on the modules. Clearly, some of them do work, so it's not universal. I don't know what % of problems this model has, but this is not a problem we are seeing reported for other brands.

PC2-5400 and PC2-5300 are the same thing -- 667 MHz RAM. The 54 / 53 thing is just advertising-speak - some companies think that calling their RAM 5400 will make people believe its better :/

9. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhhhhh I see I see lol, very sneeky people then:p. So I suppose I should refund my money this Monday, then buy something else? I purchased it online, and from the looks of it they have a 7 day thing. It's more than 7 days since I placed the order, but I received it yesterday. So does that mean my 7 days started yesterday, or did it start on the 9th of this month when I placed the order?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean by that? In all my years of using OCZ RAM, they have one of the best support out there--but of course they don't replace based on compatibility. I know it works on the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

And I think they ship to Canada now

I would assume it when you get it, because it would be poor business practice to start it from purchase date.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The ram is most likely faulty. since you said you put the old ram sticks in, and the macbook booted up fine, then i'd assume the ram was pushed in properly, since you did it twice. and macsales.com has some good ram, as well as some factory originals used by apple, so that insures compatibility.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Go to the OCZ online configurator. They don't list any Macs since the G4 Powerbook. Search the OCZ site for "MacBook". Crickets.

Simply put, OCZ does not acknowledge the existence of Intel Macs. Now that doesn't mean that the RAM won't work, but it does mean that you are on your own for identifying the RAM and ordering it.

My observation, however, is that I have seen OCZ RAM reported with what I assume is improper serial presence detect programming more often than any other brand (except maybe Patriot). The symptom is that the RAM works individually when there's an Apple module in the machine, but does not work when the new RAM is in alone.