Macbook Not Booting up instead 3 Beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Iglio, May 2, 2009.

1. Iglio macrumors regular

My Black Macbook will not boot up. Instead it rests at the gray screen and does 3 beeps. I have done research and it is supposed to indicate a RAM problem but my RAM [i believe] is fine, I even rechecked the slots and everything. This has happened before but I just rebooted and it worked fine but now it is not. I tried plugging in my Mac into different power outlets and even having it run without being plugged in but it fails to make a difference. I have scheduled a genius appointment and I know my macbook is older than a year so i'm wondering a few things: how can I get them to replace my Macbook, how can i get them to fix the problem [for free] even if my warranty has run out, if they don't replace it [which i heard they should do] what is my best option [buying a new one is outta the question for financial reasons]
    Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try running on a single RAM module. You can then determine whether it's a failure of one of the modules or a slot (or Macbook) problem.

(It'll run fine on a single, just not at maximum performance.)

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

If your Macbook is out of warranty they will not replace it for free. There are VERY few exceptions to this.

If you bring the machine into an Apple store and are extremely polite and apologetic they will very likely help you out despite being out of warranty. They might fix it for free, but it's really a combination of luck, how nice you are, and what is broken.