MacBook not turning on, charger not lighting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Taylorbergsma, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Taylorbergsma macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am a little bit of a new comer to macs and am not completely used to using them as of yet.

I was using my MacBook as per normal today when it got to 5% battery, I got up and plugged the charger in and as soon as I did so it turned off (usually it would go to 1% before turning off). When I looked at the charger, I realised it was not lighting up, I left it alone for half an hour and came back and it is now blinking an orange light - any suggestions?

Thanks

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Before a MacBook loses all power, it stores all its memory contents to the hard drive and then turns itself on. When you turn it on again after charging the battery, it takes a while but then it will be exactly like it was when it turned itself off. While this happens, you see a very pale screen, that's normal. It will take a while because reading several gigabytes of RAM from the hard drive just takes time.

Don't know why the charger didn't turn orange immediately. Usually unplugging the charger on the Mac and plugging in again fixes it if it doesn't fix itself.