Macbook or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by patpatiar`, Jun 28, 2007.

1. patpatiar` macrumors newbie

Hey

I'm relatively new in this mac world but I am convinced that Mac is the way to go, I have been a windows user for my entire life and I am decided to make the jump for better to worse...

I need to purchase a new laptop for UNI next year but have no clue which one to buy. With this laptop I am going to use it as much as I can because it is my only computer therefore I think the MBP would be a good choice, but is it logical to spend that much money, and would the MacBook meet all of my needs (dvd burning, music, photos, games, bootcamp for windows, word processing etc)

ANY help/advice is greatly appreciated...
    As for the price- I am able to get a student discount on the mac which i purchase but am still unsure which one to get.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd get the MacBook. It's more rugged, cheaper to repair if something goes wrong and the HDD can be upgraded by the user.

The MacBook Pro is IMO, a better machine overall, but it's easily dented and slightly bigger, whilst also being more expensive to purchase AND repair.

Although if it's going to be used as a desktop replacement, I'd say MacBook Pro. I've had both and the MacBook Pro is a far nice machine to use. The latest ones are cooler than the MacBooks, have much better displays with more work space, are considerably faster and look nicer IMO.

3. patpatiar` thread starter macrumors newbie

ya
    It is going to be used as a desktop repleacement, so the MBP will better fullfill my needs????

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

As games need to be played, the MB Pro would be the better option. :)

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you're going to be playing games like you said you were, then definitely go for the Macbook Pro.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, definitely MacBook Pro for you. The MacBook feels like a 'squished' MacBook Pro at times, both in terms of screen space and actual performance.

7. jklps macrumors regular

My opinion is very simple...the current stock base MBP come with 2GB of ram(with expandability to 4), the current MB can only have 2GB period.

8. mokal macrumors newbie

Im planning to buy the MacBook as a desktop replacement. I plan to leave it on for downloads all day. Will the MacBook survive? Is it possible to leave it on to download with the screen off?

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes the macbook would be fine. I do that myself.

10. tristan macrumors 6502a

If you leave your MacBook running for long enough, it will consume the hydrogen and helium at its core and eventually turn into a red giant, destroying all of the inner planets in the solar system and eradicating all life as we know it. A dark day for humanity, certainly.

No wait, I'm probably thinking about the sun.

Yeah, you've been able to run these Apple notebooks closed since the early PBG4 and iBook days, but for some reason people still ask the question daily. Yes, it'll get hot, but it won't burst into flames and fly around like that kid in the fantastic four.

11. 2hondas macrumors regular

OBVIOUSLY a MBP would be better than a MB... its like comparing a BMW 3 series to a BMW 5 Series. The 5 Series has more power, room, etc.

But for your needs that you listed, a MB would do fine, EXCEPT games. That would be the main reason for going MBP, because of the video processor. Desktop replacement? That can be another reason, although not as important...

Killyp, yeah, a MBP is so much "cooler" than a MB. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jklps... according to his needs, he doesn't NEED 4 GB of RAM...:rolleyes:

So yeah, MBP because of games.

Theres my 2 cents.

put put. ;)

12. Gandhi macrumors regular

Buy the Macbook Pro. If you want to save money, go the ADC Student purchase route (see thread in this forum), and buy the 2.2 SR MBP.

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Not true some of us run 4g in the macbook :)

14. Igantius macrumors 65816

Out of interest what games do you want to play?

Cybergypsy is dead right - although MBs can only access a max. of 3.3GB.

15. tristan macrumors 6502a

To OP: Good for you. Just a day ago I was talking to a friend of mine about my Mac/PC history. I told him that my biggest regret, computing wise, was not switching to mac *before* I started grad school rather than after. That was in 2002/2003, and Macs are five times better now.

16. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I'd just go with a Macbook. The Pro will cost you $500-$1000 more. Is that additional cost worth it for games? Of course you will have a much better machine if you go with the MBP, but I think the Macbook will more than meet all the rest of your needs and that additional money could be spent on something else. Then again, games are extremely important to some people and definitely worth the extra cash. Your priorities will direct you to where you should spend your money.

17. Chilll macrumors newbie

New to all of this.Dont know if the switch from PC to mac is right

HI guys,I'm sure you allhave heard this before but I need to know.I have 2 guys at work who swear by macs.Saying they will never go back to windows again.I need to know what makes Macs so different and special.If I do get one it will be the Macpro laptop and I wil wait for leopard then buy it.My desktop will stay as windows.I kow the only bad thing about macs is the lack of software and Games,especialy games.I did watch the WWDCO7 Kenote Address ,http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc07/ Very interesting but I don't know about macs rep or reliability.I plan on keeping a laptop as long as possible.Please all suggestion welcom..What do you guys like about Macs why are they so much better than windows..Thanks in advance

18. newmacchick macrumors member

I'm in your situation and I'm getting a MacBook Pro (the lowest priced version). The MB's 13 inch screen is too confining for me and the NVIDIA 128 MB graphics card in the MBP beats the Intel card in the MB.

19. pdra05 macrumors regular

Get the low-end MacBook Pro at least - You won't regret it in the years to come!

20. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I recommend a MBP because of the larger screen and availability of anti-glare finish. You're going to be spending hours in front of the screen writing papers and (depending on your major) doing research, so you'll want the larger screen size.

Plus, it'll play games that macbooks can't. :cool:

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

From everything I've read, the only 2 areas where the Macbook excels are the better battery life and some people prefer the macbook keyboard. Size, they weigh almost the same... the MBP keyboard isn't quite as crisp in my opinion, but the backlight option of it more then makes up for it, especially in a dorm room setting.

Actually, it's not even a question. Get a MBP, get a larger hard drive, and then upgrade the ram in a year or two. I have an older model, stock config with 1 gig ram and a 120 gig hard drive, and I wish I had a larger hard drive, and I'm starting to feel the lack of ram, and in a year I'll probably spring for another gig or two (whenever I have money that is, being a broke college student sucks!)

22. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Will the current line of MacBooks see the full 4GB of ram?

23. boyinthelava macrumors newbie

Wow, my first post, I can't believe I'm writting a MAC post. Woo Hoo!.

Ok so I'm much in the same dilemma as "patpatiar". I'm looking to make the 'jump' when leopard comes out, and am not sure about the Macbook vs MBP. I'm a massive fan of Command & Conqeur and thus was sold on MAC's with the recent EA announcement. My problem is the MBP is a very big price jump for me and I was wondering if anyone had actually played games on a macbook, be it through bootcamp or not, and what their opinions and reviews of their experience was.

If you could tell us what game you actually played, and how it played etc etc.

The other reason is that I like the white sexy macbook!!!!!

Very excited, soon to be MAC user.

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

There's a whole thread waiting for you. Enjoy!

25. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Bummer. It would be pretty cool to see a laptop do that.

Not mine, of course. :p