Macbook or Netbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kitch95, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

I have been considering a netbook for a while to accompany my new 20" iMac. But I have been looking at the baseline white macbook for portability and power what would you go for? Any advice would be helpful and the netbook was the msi wind.
    Thanks

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

You say power, something you won't find in a netbook.

What are your specific needs and wants when it comes to this new machine?

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It depends on A) your budget, and B) your portability needs.

If you can afford the MB and don't absolutely require the portability of the Wind, then I would really recommend the MB. Even if you only want to do relatively light work, it is still better done on a MB. The Wind actually runs Office, web, stuff like that pretty well, but the screen size and small keyboard are limiting (obviously a tradeoff for portability.) The Wind even runs OS X very well if you decide to go the hackintosh route.

OTOH, if you want to save a few bucks and need something really light for occasional use, the Wind is a nice little netbook. Keep in mind the 3-cell battery is really weak, I would recommend buying one with a 6-cell battery.

4. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

It would be to carry around with me with my canon eos 1000d I would also might put osx with the leopard retail disk on the msi the budget would not be a problem.

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

If you're going to be using it with any type of serious photo stuff like a 1000d you want the MB, at least.

And budget is no issue, so why the netbook? Sure it's portable, but I also carry my alu MB around all day in a backpack and barely notice it.

6. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

yeh also the mb is not much more

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well, Rob Galbraith did rank the Dell Mini 9's screen better than a MacBook Pro, which has a much better screen than a MacBook. ;)

Well firstly, the portability difference is massive. Secondly, if you carried your laptop and some other stuff in your laptop, and you did the same with a netbook, you'd definitely realize how much easier it is to carry a backpack with a netbook as opposed to a MacBook.

I didn't realize this until I wore my backpack with my D300 + 3 lenses inside, along with my MacBook for about 2 weeks in Japan. The back definitely got sore. Then I walked around without the MacBook since I had a decent place to sleep for 2 days (for a change), brought another lens along (the Sigma 30 mm), and the difference was enormous. Sure, I didn't have a netbook in there, but I was able to fit a Sigma 30 mm and an extra jumper in there, and after a while, I found that even 1 or 2 lbs makes a really large difference over time.

Same thing on hikes.

8. MeatPie macrumors newbie

Personally, I just don't find netbooks appealing, the tech is so old, it's like the nasty old dell I had in middle school. The new white Macbook is an awesome price point and I would definitely recommend it, especially if cost is not an issue. 13" seems to be a good size. 8.9" are just plain tiny.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I tried using a netbook and it didn't work out; now I have a MacBook and it's amazing.

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If you want similar function to a netbook, but yet a Mac and really nice display, buy the refurbished original MBA for $999.

Now, I wouldn't recommend the original MBA to anyone that wants POWER. I definitely wouldn't recommend the original MBA as anyone's primary computer. It is functions poorly because of having bottlenecks at nearly every major component. PATA, 65 NM CPU, poor graphics, and etc. I owned an original MBA, and I cannot say much nice about it... but it would function well when used very lightly like a netbook. Don't expect to throw videos at it. Don't expect to run multiple apps or intensive apps. But, you can check email, surf the web, and write on it. It is one beautiful computer - the original MBA is one beautiful computer, and that is about all.

But, at $999, you get a really nice display, a super lightweight computer, and the Mac OS X (without hackintoshing a netbook).

So, again, if you want to use it like a real Mac notebook, buy the MB for certain. If you want ultra cheap, buy a netbook. If you want poor performance, yet a beautiful and light Mac, buy the MBA rev A.

11. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

you can always look in the refurb store for a cheaper priced white macbook with decent specs.

i plan on picking up a netbook from asus for under 280$

pretty good specs; the Asus 1000HE netbook
    2GB DDR2/160 GB HDD
    10" WSVGA 1024 x 600

apparently it has a pretty decent screen for content, and can output clear 720p video without stuttering.

12. xoggyux macrumors 6502

IF you only want it for internet browsing/emails and stuffs like that (since you are a photographer even download pictures to it and see them a bit bigger than a camera's LCD) netbook will do ok.
    However I could not justify going for notebooks that will cost more than $400-500 usd (netbook+upgrades,) since you would be approaching to MB's price ($900-999 for the white one.)
    Also if you want Mac OS X in a netbook, then just go for a MB because now you can install Mac OS X on the netbook, however this doesn't mean that it wont have trouble in the future, and believe me troubles almost always happen when you less want them to happen.
    White macbook = 5pounds
    MSI wind = 2.3 pounds (half),
    therefore a macbook is about 2.5 pounds heavier (or about 1L bottle of water)
    Resume:
    Money no problem?
    You will use MAC OS X (either if it comes with MB or if you make a hackintosh)
    You need a bit of performance (e.g. you are going to do something else than working with plain text and static images such as web-browsing, text edition, emailing)
    You want maximum compatibility with an already existing MB/MBP/iMac in your possession

then buy a MB

You need an inexpensive system that wont matter if it breaks apart.
    You are going to use it just for simple stuff (e.g. mail/internet/etc)
    You are not going to replace any component (e.g. stock HDD, extra ram, etc)
    You are not going to try a hackintosh (if you still want to go ahead with this, take a look at dell 9 mini, some people have had better results making a hackintosh with dell 9 mini than with MSI wind.)
    You want to save every single pound.

Then buy a netbook.

13. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

I live in the uk so the price of a msi wind vs a macbook is about £400 or so so wast budget is not a huge problem the potability of a netbook is also a huge plus when caring around a camera.I would also not be using a netbook for anything other than surfing the web, viewing photos, mail & so on. So I am inclined to go for the netbook.

14. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I just recently got a Macbook and let me say it's nice, I went from a 17"mbp to the macbook and the portability is awesome! I have it maxed at 4gb ram also and it's pretty fast.

15. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Then go for a netbook, however I warn you, most netbooks come with 4GB SSD drive and upgrading it is fairly expensive (4GB -> 8GB ~= $50 usd, 4GB -> 16GB ~= $150) so an inexpensive netbook can get quite expensive if you plan to upgrade. Go for the cheapest one that you can get with windows XP since most linux netbook comes with a modified linux that actually doesnt have more options than a regular 3G phone (such as iphone/ipod.)
    I dont know the pricing in the UK but here in US the dell mini goes for 250-300 and same for the HP mini, and those got a nice keyboard and in pictures at least (I havent had the oportunity to hold a MSI in my hands) look much better than msi.

16. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I personally have both a white Macbook and an HP Mini 1030nr - and I love BOTH of them, but for completely different reasons. The Macbook is a great all-purpose computer - it does everything and does (almost) everything well. Its light, powerful, has 4 GB's of RAM, a DVD drive, and looks good, too. My HP Mini is nowhere NEAR as powerful, but its adequate - I take it everywhere with me now. Its quick enough and has enough storage to be useful (mine has the 16GB SSD, supplemented by a 4GB SD card). For quick jump-on-the-web things, I almost always pick the HP Mini - I personally am very happy with it. If you're going to travel a lot and already have a good "base" computer (you do), then get the netbook - though I personally recommend either the HP Mini or the Dell Mini 9. My only personal hold-up with the Dell was the 9" screen - to me, a 10" is much easier to use than the 9", though the resolution is the same.

Off topic, I know, but where on EARTH are you getting the NEW Asus 1000HE for $280? The thing isn't even released widely yet and the best I've seen is $374 on Amazon. I was looking at the 1000HE, too, but decided on the HP simply because it was A) prettier (my opinion) and B) available.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're right. The HP is nearly the same price as the new 1000HE, but far prettier. The only thing I don't like is its lack of card reader (although it's available as an accessory). Sure, no Mac I've ever owned comes with one either, but since other netbooks have it, I want it too. :eek:

Can't wait until the HP Mini-Note 2140 is released with its 1366 x 768 screen.

18. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

The HP Mini 1000 series has a card reader - its SD/MMC only and its recessed so you can leave the card in if you like (how I use mine). I can't speak for the Mini-Note 2133, but the Mini 1000 definitely DOES have a card reader. If you've got any other questions, ask - I just got mine recently, but I'm really happy with it (using it now, actually). :)

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm very happy with my EEE PC1000H and wanted to wait for the HE to come out, I'd like a MB to replace my old toshiba 1905-s303 though...

20. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

In the uk the msi come (from amazon) with a 80/120gb hdd

21. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I liked the EEE 1000H, too - it was actually a really tough decision. I (personally) think the HP is prettier, but the EEE had better specs for the money (actually, it was $329 to the HP's $399 when I bought mine). However, I liked the SSD in the HP, as well as the glossy screen and better keyboard. Was all that worth $70? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. :)

22. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

I have gone for the msi wind and ordered it yesterday with a copy of leopard to stick on it. I figured I would appreciate the portability when I had a dslr with me and also I have a 20" imac to do any heavy editing.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the choice!

24. chuckcalo macrumors regular

I have this 8.9" Aspire One and I installed Leopard using a retail DVD I bought and I have to be honest it works wonders. I can run PS CS4, MSN, Preview, Firefox (with more than 10 tabs opened), iTunes and Transmission without a hitch. Some people understimate the power of the little Atom. But I have to be honest is a small screen therefore I would get a 13" Macbook if I were you. Just saying if you don't mind the size of the screen go for the MSI Wind 10".

25. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I'm also thinking about getting a netbook to accompany my MBP, because I have a feeling it might be too big to carry to school and in a plane (I travel quite a lot). I'm mainly looking at the Dell or MSI, cause they both should be easy to hackintosh :p