MacBook - Playing x264 .mkvs - 1080p

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wallstreetcrash, Oct 9, 2008.

1. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

How does the new Alu MB 2.0 or 2.4 cope with them?

The x264 scene releases that is. How does the new NVidia GPU cope with them, I am hoping well!?!
    Because I don't really want to spend extra on the MBP, but will have to if the MB will struggle.

Thanks ;)

2. cryonic49 macrumors member

no hardware acceleration for mkvs.

and vlc sucks at x264, use plex. The cpu is fast enough to push 1080p under plex.

3. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Easily? I want it for the next 3 years, but am worried I won't be safe for the future :(

4. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

well i know quicktime 1080 works flawlessly, but thats GPU accelerated. i was watching x264 720 mkv stuff last night and had only 20-25% CPU usage.

Edit: on a 2.4 alu mb

5. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

With what programme?
    Thanks.

6. cryonic49 macrumors member

you will be okay... unless the mkvs were horribly encoded (using lvl 5.1 profiles instead of 4.1) there will be no problem.

7. paetrick macrumors regular

1080p works (with the new release) of plex without a problem on my 1.83 ghz mac mini, but VLC has a struggle with the 1080p with veeeery high bitrate, Plex still handle it though.

So I guess 2.0 alum should handle it as well, but maybe not the highest 1080 with highest bitrate in vlc, then u'll need to install plex -which is so good optimized.

8. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Does Plex work with the Apple remote?

9. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I have the new macbook (late 08) 2.4 model. I too was hoping to play my 1080p mkvs on this macbook. Here are my results.

It plays 720P mkv files flawlessly through vlc and plex.

1080p mkv files are unwatchable in vlc - too much stuttering.

In plex - 1080 p mkv's are more watchable but still not smooth. Mainly frame rate issues and stuttering audio.

I am wondering if there is a setting change in plex that can make the playback smoother?

No big deal about the 1080p files...cuz the macbook screen isn't 1080 anyway.

10. cryonic49 macrumors member

You must have improperly encoded x264 files then... releases these days are 4.1 profiles... heck, even bluray and hddvd doesn't go over to 4.1

11. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

My plan is to output to 1080p monitor via DVI.

12. timestoby macrumors 6502

after having my first mac i wanted it to play mkvs well. i first tried vlc which played some 720ps without any problems,but some would make the vlc crash in the middle of a movie,same thing on pc,but worse.

i then remember hearing about mplayer,which was better than vlc,it played the mkv files that crashed no problem and i think its great.

but then i rememberd reading about plex and only tried it last nite. and the interface takes abit getn used to,but once you know it,its great. it plays 720 mkvs with no problem at all and i hear that it will even play 1080p mkvs on a older mac mini.

if you want abit of lower cpu usage,in plex turn off that software video upscaler.i turned it off and it reduced my cpu usage by 15%

i did ask the plex people about if it has brightness controler and they said you will need to adjust ur tv lol.

13. conezone73 macrumors newbie

I would suggest getting this app http://www.perian.org/
    It plays .mkv without any problems in quicktime so you don't have to use vlc.
    I have the new macbook and it plays everything without flaw so far.

14. timestoby macrumors 6502

thats one thing i havnt tried,but will try now.

15. timestoby macrumors 6502

just now using perian and i find that it uses way more cpu usage and i can hear the fan lol.and i find that when quicktime is fullscreen and i try and move alont in the menus on the laptop screen that there is lag.plex is best me thinks

16. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Does Plex function with the Apple remote control? That is a deal breaker

EDIT: Also guys, I'm going to get this Mac for next 3-4 years, and I would like it future proof. Would you go for the base MBP or this? I'm confused, 1080p might be the max I ever go, but no one knows what bitrates will be like on x264.

17. six.four macrumors 6502

your macbook will be fine.

I have a MBA and it plays my 1080p and 720p x264 using VLC without any issues or hiccups. Considering macbooks are significantly more powerful, there should be no reason it wouldn't run smooth.

18. cryonic49 macrumors member

yes it does support the apple remote, or at least it did when I had my MBP. But you really don't want to use that though, it's clunky. Plex needs more buttons than just the few provided with the apple remote

and macbook pro will not really make a difference unless you go for the 2.8ghz option (which is a rip imo).

19. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

So the dedicated graphics card in the MPB will help in no way at all in playing High Def x264 files, in Plex/VLC etc (not QuickTime which can't really play mkv x264)

20. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

21. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The newest version of plex v. 0.5.22 now plays all of my 1080p mkvs smoothly even over the network. There is a new skip loop filter option that when enabled, dramatically improved the playback of 1080p mkv's.

22. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Which is kinda stupid considering the source is usually blu-ray or HD-DVD. Using a better profile doesn't make it any better if the source is inferior.

Joshua.

23. acerox macrumors newbie

Hi,

is it nornal the the mkv 1080 files consume 100% of the processor in the new MB 2.0? and 30% for the avi files?! I was expecting a better performance when playing videos.

I still have the oppotunity of changing my MB 2.0 by the 2.4, of course paying the 300€ difference. What would you do?

Thanks

24. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. 1080p takes a lot of CPU, whereas a typical Xvid avi doesn't take any.

What programme are you using? Use boxee

25. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

use plex or install windows and use media player classic hc