MacBook Pro 13" Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marcel500, Nov 17, 2016.

1. marcel500 macrumors regular

Hello. I am super shocked ab out the battery life of my new Macbook pro 13" (Late 2016). Fully charged and I am at 4:54 min.

You guys have similar experience?

Configuration:
    - 3.3 GHZ
    - 16 GB RAM

Super disappointing

2. ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

With my 15" rMBP I just bought, the battery died in about 3 hours. It was probably because I was super aggressively compiling things, simultaneously uploading and downloading, indexing, etc. I noticed it was very very poor though.

But good thing its thinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. marcel500 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I agree I would spend even more money for an even thinner macbook pro... Who needs batteries, so old school

My 4 years old MacBook Air still last longer than the new one - sounds right to me.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Battery life is highly dependent on usage and the time remaining is a rough estimate.

5. iasix macrumors member

6. blackhawk10 macrumors member

Agree, my MB is still to new, but battery is lasting about ½ of Apple's advertised 10 hours. Apple CS will tell you to turn everything down or off (why have a high horsepower machine). My MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013) lasted all day.

13" 3.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, 16GB, 1TB

7. marcel500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advise.... I might not use my MacBook Pro then to save energy

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

well that makes me pretty happy to still have my air. The battery life is the most important thing to me. I have heard that the non-touchbar pro does have pretty good battery life, but still not as good as the air

9. marcel500 thread starter macrumors regular

Super frustrating... But I guess we have to life with that.... I am actually super irritated, what a beautiful device and then battery life... I can life with all the adapters but now battery, come one Apple.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My point is that you're complaining about battery life and you didn't provide any information about what you were doing with your computer.

Are you just whining or do you want help trying to figure out if your battery life is normal based on your usage?

11. Rob21 macrumors newbie

I just charged my 13" w/ touchbar overnight to 100% and it's showing I have 8.5 hours.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Without digging in to what exactly is consuming that power, there is no way to know whether the battery life you are seeing is to be expected or not. At a minimum you need to dig into the Energy tab in Activity Monitor and determine what processes are using power. Apple is extremely good at building devices that match or exceed their stated battery life under defined conditions. You clearly have something consuming excessive power, so it's up to you whether you want to find out what that is, and see if there is anything you can do about it.

13. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Yes, I'm having the same experience. We've been discussing battery life in other threads, here and here.

I'm nearing the end of my second charge cycle and looks like I'll get about 6 hours for each.

As I said in the other thread:

14. fokmik macrumors 68000

please, after again fully charge your macbook pro, surf the web with safari for 10 min and see what is saying
    On mine 15" i get around 11 hours and 20 min with safari and 7 hours and 40 min with chrome/firefox

15. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

To be clear I have a 13" TB, not 15".

That is a remarkable difference between Safari and Chrome/Firefox.

16. tjleonard macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same experience. I'm sure there is something wrong (possibly software). I also have the same specs you do.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    I turned everything down and closed everything and I still wouldn't achieve 10 hours.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    I fully charged mine, after the indexing was complete, and got just over 4 hours with safari and surfing web pages before it turned off from no power.

17. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Lol and people are still defending these MacBook Pro's battery lives. It's been known since release that these guys have had significantly smaller battery lives... "But... Hardware and software! It's Apple!" You can only do so much with a smaller battery size to squeeze as much as you can.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Which probably translates to <7 hours when you actually start using it. My no TB shows 12+ after a full charge and the TB shows 8-9.

19. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Thinner. Enough said. You had Jony at that word.

20. Satti macrumors newbie

Hi all, how is battery life now with Sierra 10.12.2 ? any improvements or still the same ?

21. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I'd say, use the machine logically in your actual scenario, on a typical work day and see how it has fared at the end of it.

22. nincompoop macrumors newbie

can anyone please report their battery life after the sierra 10.12.3 update? I am wondering whether to get a 2016 macbook pro. Thank you.

23. macintoshmac, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Get one without worries. Any version. If you like the Touch Bar, go for that. All these machines are great machines with really good user experience and yes, very good battery life.

I was regularly left with anywhere between 40 and 60% after 5 hours of PDF viewing, OneNote and Safari browsing with occasional Outlook when I was on 10.12.2.

With 10.12.3, it is slightly more controlled at around 50-60%, more testing needed as I went office just one day after update and at home it is plugged in with an external disk so isn't a good test.