Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mundopick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
I recently bought an SSD and put it in my MacBook Pro, but it didn't work I ran DriveDX and it found some problems about the cable wasn't giving so much power to the SSD, so I bought a new cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6NEP30/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) this one to be specific, today I installed it and reinstalled my SSD and it didn't work, so I ran DriveDX again and this time showed me this error "199 UDMA CRC Error Count" any idea what happened? whats the problem?
should I returned the cable?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
For the MBP's of this time period, the cable seems to be the main culprit of the "UDMA CRC Error Count" error. However, the question I would have is whether the DriveDX program (I don't use it) is reporting problems with your new cable or your old cable. If DriveDX reports the raw number and if the CRC error count is increasing, then it's likely your new cable has a problem. If the number does not increase as you attempt to use the SSD, then it seems to me that it might be reporting problems with the old cable. You need to check with DriveDX if they're reporting this number because it's reached a certain threshold or because within (for example) the last hour, the CRC error count has increased.

While it's not unheard of to have new cables with problems, you should also check to make sure the cable is connected and placed properly and try the SSD in an external enclosure if possible.

Reactions: andrewmarich

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Yeah, definitely put the drive in an enclosure and check it out/rule it out.
[doublepost=1524231816][/doublepost]What drive did you get? Make model? Used or new?

mundopick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
Thanks for your responses, I have tested my SSD (using a USB adapter) and is working properly. my MacBook Pro is an early 2011, and in a forum here in macrumors, someone told that it is recommended to replace the factory cable with a 2012 model, so I did but is not working. should I return it and buy a 2011? or just ask the seller to change my cable?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Thanks for your responses, I have tested my SSD (using a USB adapter) and is working properly. my MacBook Pro is an early 2011, and in a forum here in macrumors, someone told that it is recommended to replace the factory cable with a 2012 model, so I did but is not working. should I return it and buy a 2011? or just ask the seller to change my cable?
What about the original cable? Have you tried putting that back in? I assume it was working fine before (the cable) and you changed it out because some recommended it? That advice seems odd.

I have a late 2011 with an upgraded SSD.. Same machine. Never replaced my cable.

mundopick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
well I did put the original cable back into place, and now I'm installing Mac OS high Sierra to my SSD through my USB adapter, as soon as it finishes I will try the original cable and the SSD and if it doesn't work I will try again the new one to see whats the problem, I will take screenshot of the software to determine each case (new and old cable)

Reactions: LarryJoe33

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
well I did put the original cable back into place, and now I'm installing Mac OS high Sierra to my SSD through my USB adapter, as soon as it finishes I will try the original cable and the SSD and if it doesn't work I will try again the new one to see whats the problem, I will take screenshot of the software to determine each case (new and old cable)
Good luck!

mundopick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2016
ok I put the new cable on and tried my SSD with clean install of MacOS High Sierra and it ran, the problem is that is very slow, it takes minutes to perform some tasks like open apps, but sometimes it runs smooth but most of the time is slow I'll share the screenshots of each case (old n new)
[doublepost=1524373978][/doublepost]these are the screenshots of the old cable.

Note that with the original cable the Blackmagic speed test runs write but the reading test is always causing this message to pop up.
[doublepost=1524374078][/doublepost]now these are the screenshots with the new cable on.

and also note that the problem with the reading test is not showing.

Attachments

• Original.png
    Original.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Original Cable2.png
    Original Cable2.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Original Cable3.png
    Original Cable3.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Original Cable4.png
    Original Cable4.png
    589.6 KB · Views: 199
  • New Cable.png
    New Cable.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 178
  • New Cable2.png
    New Cable2.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 188
  • New Cable3.png
    New Cable3.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 163
  • New Cable4.png
    New Cable4.png
    697.4 KB · Views: 170

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I guess you could try another new cable. It’s uncommon that your problems with the “new” cable are cable related but I’m no expert.

Other than that if your system is running slow with the new cable but reads and writes, it could be that your clean install is still indexing photos and other system processes are running related to a fresh install.

Other than that, maybe your machine is just getting old and showing signs of dying? I’m dreading that day for my 2011.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
In your "Original Cable2.png" and "New Cable2.png", the number of data transfer errors has increased, and as I mentioned in my post #2, if that happens, it's likely that it's the new cable that's the cause of the problem, given that the SSD works in an external enclosure. To confirm that this happening, check again to see if the error count has increased again - that should be the case. When you return it, explain that you're getting CRC errors and that your SSD works in an external enclosure. It's possible that it's some logic board issue causing the problem but it's much more likely that it's the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.