Macbook Pro 13 extreme usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natsu101, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Natsu101 macrumors newbie

Hi, i recently bought a 13" MBP and i am planning to use this notebook for around 4 years. The thing is, i've been using this macbook frequently because my school requires using laptops for most of the time and especially with all the work coming in right now, the mbp gets only around 8 hours of rest. is my mbp gonna be able to make it through part of college? (im a HS junior right now) i plan to enroll in either engineering schools or architect schools which i think requires programs that are quite hardcore for notebooks...(like Solidwork for engineers)...

I am really taking care of this computer..with all these protections and etc... please give me tips for taking care of my mbp is possible...
    Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What are you even asking, and does the answer even matter? At first glance it looks like you're asking if your computer will last you four years. The answer is "most likely." If we told you "no- your computer would not last 4 years", would you even be in a position to get a new one? Sounds like you wouldn't. Since you're in high school you're not doing any real work that would cause a problem in the first place. At your university if you really need to run something that requires more than a notebook, you'll have a computer lab available to you.

I don't know any professional engineer who is using Solidworks on their 13" laptop for any appreciable amount of time.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy AppleCare and you will have peace of mind. Modern computers can handle the stress just fine

4. moel macrumors 6502

I have a mac mini core solo, that has been crunching away video and network traffic pretty much 24 hours a day for 3 years+

You'll be fine.

You will need another laptop at the end of the 4 years tho, as software will have moved on and it's not fun doing uni stuff with a machine that isn't up to the job.

5. Natsu101 thread starter macrumors newbie

@miles01110 - My question is: will this laptop be able to make it through the 4 years and it does matter because if i were to use the mbp at this state everyday and it turns out that it is wearing the macbook off at a faster rate than normal, then i could possibly convince my parents to buy a family desktop which will cut down the mbp usage by around 8 hours. I really want to prolong this mbp as long possible.

@Hellhammer: getting an apple care seems like a good idea..but I just don't like it for some reason.

Thank you for the rest of the comment!

6. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Ensure you sing in honor of Steve while stood on your head once a week, while also farting the national anthem for a random country.
    :D

7. Gucci Mane macrumors newbie

I used to have a 13" and I upgraded to a 15" i7 after less than two years. No data intensive apps, like solidworks, will run well on your 13" mbp. I could barely even run fusion 3 even with 4gb ram. Your laptop will def run for 4 years, just have AppleCare handy just in case.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Give it a week before the OP calms down :)

The computer will be fine. Naturally, the only thing that can go wrong is the battery (more cycles you use = decreases life span of battery). Whether you bang it around and stuff like that, then that is in you fate.

Just use it as it is, because nothing will happen beside the degradation of the battery (which will degrade over time whether you use it or not)

By the time you get to college, it will likely be slow for your needs so don't worry about it.

Extreme usage in my opinion is defined by keeping the computer on all the time, taking it EVERYWHERE, and putting a lot of load on the computer most of the time.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I doubt youll be using any of the cad programs on your computer unless you shell out the cash for them...and 95% of them are above $600. Yes you can get educational versions of them but none of them work right on any mac because the graphics cards included in laptops are 99% not compatible with the programs. Ive tried autocad on 3 different computers, a desktop, laptop, and my macbook and none of them had supported graphics cards so none of them work right and if you are working with any of those programs, the school will have a lab with all of those programs installed.