MacBook Pro 13" For Christmas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeekOFComedy, Nov 11, 2009.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Hello so yesterday I found out that for christmas my mum would be giving me money and got me an idea about maybe getting it for christmas now before you all go saying spoilt the computer i was looking at was the base 2.26GHz with a 500GB Hard disk and 4GB of memory with my sisters college student discount comes to €1,334.07 in ireland.

Anyway would that do FCS3 editing fine I mean I know the screen is only 1280x800 but I have a non-unibody 17" MacBook Pro which I still play to use as a main computer but just upgrade it a bit. It will be video blogging on the go and doing rough cuts for projects and maybe some WOW and store all my iTunes TV on it. Only question though did apple fix the display problem where it shows as 1000s of colors.

Also my last question is when should I order it before the X-mas rush. Should I order in the first week of december because it takes them 3 days to build it etc. When will they start deducting my warranty because I want to open it on christmas day. Thanks.

And how i'm getting this is

I have €110 saved up and by first week of december i'll probably have €190.
    My christmas present from my Mom & Dad is €400
    I'm allowed to take €300 out of my bank account
    I'm doing a project of typing a lot of pages for my aunt and i'd get around €50
    And my mad but really cool grand mom is giving me a shocking €300. Don't ask me I was pretty shocked and felt guilty but my mom said take it otherwise she will be insulted so.... and my mum is paying off the last €93 so don't go saying i'm spoiled.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Personally I don't understand why you need another computer if you have a 17" Macbook Pro already. But I'm sure it would run FCS3 fine. It would probably be a tad slow cause it doesn't have the best video card in the world.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Final Cut Studio 3 will run no problem. Resolution is a bit low though.. but for on the go editing, it's perfect. You should turn your 17" MBP into a desktop - buy an external display and keyboard for it.

For video editing, it'll use not much GPU. All the rendering is done by the CPU. The 9400M is more than capable for other things too - just because it is integrated graphics, doesn't mean it sucks.

4. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am. Later on I'll get a vidock 2 etc. I still love all my computers. Heck I can even give them different tasks. Edit on the 13 but render codecs on the 17"

@melman101 When I got the 17" Last year I thought that this would be almost portable, something you could indeed carry around but my rickets denied that experience. Also what about if I'm using this in the sun. I'm I done for or what

5. kolax macrumors G3

What if you are using it in the sun?

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

- Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
    - Then don't do that.

- When I edit movies on a glossy screen in direct sunlight the screen is hard to read.
    - Then don't do that.

7. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

He is probably talking about the glossy, glass covered screen that some people hate.

There is a quick easy fix if it bugs you...one of the many anti glare films/covers like Power Support or Moshi for 25-40usd. These have the benefit of protecting the glass as well and despite what nitpickers say don't look bad at all...esp compared to any average matte screen. I saw some cheap brand version I don't remember the name of in some shop on a 13" and it looked fine...at first glance I thought it was a new matte screened version from Apple until I saw the borders of the film.

You can get Tech Restore to put a matte screen in place of the glossy in the future for 200usd if you hate the glossy or can't accept a film/cover.

Lastly Apple will surely eventually offer the matte option on the 13" eventually. So sell the glossy and buy a matte if you hate it and the above options aren't to your liking.

I was all worked up about the glossy screen before I bought and it hasn't been an issue except when I purposefully sit and dwell on it. I also never sit outside in the sun using my laptop FWIW.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why would you or anyone spend time video editing out in the sun anyway? That shouldn't at all be a deciding factor whether it's worth getting a glossy screen Mac or not? Now, if your standard daily work requires that you be outside with your laptop at all times then a matte screen Mac might be better, in this case, the 13" is ruled out.

9. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it's just if i'm on a road trip during summer which takes about 6 hours to get from point a to b i'll probably edit a video and the sun gets through the double pane glass window

10. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also when do you think I can order it and when does apple start the warranty. I want it for christmas day but I don't want it as in deep sleep for a few days and loses cycles off of it's battery

11. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Warranty starts the day of the retail purchase according to their lawyer speak.

Don't worry about battery cycles over it being asleep for a few days (if I get you right)...it would be virtually unnoticeable.

I don't get the "opening it on Christmas" thing though...you know what it is...you are jumping at the bit to use it. Why not just call it an early present and get it now? Saves you all the worries.

12. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't. Ruins the atmosphere ;) And finally when should we order it? We need it for x-mas day

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Weird man...wrapping something up then unwrapping it later knowing exactly what it is. Anyway order it now and put it in the closet. Nothing will be improved between now and then and you won't have to worry about it arriving in time. No reason to wait.

14. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

A little weird but I get the excitement. I would order early, the longer you wait the more chance of delivery delays either by Apple or the shipping company

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm pretty sure the 17" Macbook Pro's (non-UB) all had x1600's or 8600's in them, and the current has a 9400m in it, which is on par with the x1600. Just something to think about.

16. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I retract my "buy now" suggestion if you are not going to open it and test it thoroughly before wrapping it back up...you would lose out on the 14 day return/replacement option if you buy now. Would suck to open it, find out it was bad and have to send it to service right off.

Honestly buy it now...start using it...and wrap up something small for giggles. Otherwise you put yourself in this weird situation of ordering soon enough to get it but late enough to be able to return it if it's a lemon.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Call up to order it, and specifically ask them that because it is a Christmas present and won't be opened till the 25th December, what happens if there is an issue with it since it'll be outside the 14-day period.

They might give you some leeway, you never know.

Think it actually performs better than the X1600. It is about 40-50% less powerful than the 8600M GT though.

18. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I disagree. The space between an after-market matte film and the actual screen (caused by the class casing) causes an unacceptable blurriness. There's a reason they brought back real matte screens...if the after-market film was as good or better, no one would care if they didn't offer a real matte screen.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm getting the middle model 15" MBP for christmas. Congradz!

20. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I said for me the film I saw looked fine and it was a cheap one. Unacceptable is relative.

21. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm ordering it next monday. Do you think that the config i choose is good. The MacBook Pro 17" I have is the revision before unibody (bought in may and apple kicked me in the ass with 1 piece)

22. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Yep, which is why I said that I disagree, not "you're wrong." :)

23. melman101 macrumors 68030

Aaahhh awesome. Did not know that. Cool :)

24. phixiuz macrumors regular

Total waste of money if you already have a 17" imo.

25. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough however every time i want to take it with me please come over and give me a hand ;)