Macbook pro 13 inch and iPad or Macbook pro 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walpear8, Oct 12, 2011.

1. walpear8 macrumors newbie

I'm in sort of a purchasing dilemma. Do you guys think I should buy the macbook pro 13 inch and the ipad2 or just by a macbook pro 15 inch.

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Macbook pro 15 has big advantage over MBP 13 inch in terms of power, but it is less portable and more expensive. Way more...

If you don't need big screen and not needing Quad core CPU + dedicated GPU, I would choose MBP 13 + iPad 2.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Depends on what you want the laptop for. If you're into editing, design and stuff like that, MBP 15 is a better choice. If you're doing simple things like browsing, music, mail, etc. MBP 13 + iPad 2 is a better choice.

4. walpear8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook pro 13 inch and iPad or Macbook pro 15 inch

I'm in sort of a purchasing dilemma. Do you guys think I should buy the macbook pro 13 inch and the ipad2 or just by a macbook pro 15 inch.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Hi Res 15 inch MacBook Pro. Easy. No other machine necessary.

Glossy or Anti-glare is the only decision you have to make.

6. Risasi macrumors 6502

What do you do with your computer?

How much does it get moved around?

How is your eyesight?

7. walpear8 thread starter macrumors newbie

my eyesight is fine , but i don't know how much an advantage a 15 inch is over a 13 inch

8. SojIrOu macrumors newbie

What will you be doing with the computer?

Photo/Video editing, gaming = 15" MacBook Pro preferably with high res screen

Bringing to college everyday, general surfing, videos, music, etc = 13" MBP is more than enough

9. blackranger3d macrumors newbie

Um this is very vague what are you using them for.

I have a 15 and an ipad2. I had a 13 and then upgraded to the 15 for the bigger screen. I'm very satisfied with the weight vs screen size trade off.

I use my 15 for:
    • video editing
    • music editing
    • photo editing
    • web design
    • word processing
    • etc, its my desk / main machine

I use my ipad 2 for:
    • reading (comics, mags, books)
    • mobile media viewing
    • mobile web

What are you going to be using it for.

10. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

I have to agree that it's largely based on what you want to use the laptop for. I have a MBP 13" (2010) and a 64GB iPad2 3G and love the combination. I do most of my web browsing in the iPad. But, I also have a pretty powerful desktop I use for more intensive tasks (editing, gaming, transcoding).

The 2011 MBP has a much better CPU, but went a bit backwards in GPU ability. That's one place the 15" will really shine.

11. futch macrumors 6502

futch

13" and iPad2 for sure. No brainer if you ask me.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

13. walpear8, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

walpear8 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 13" and iPad 2 or a MacBook Pro 15"

I'm not sure what i should buy: A macbook pro 13 inch and an iPad 2, or just a MacBook 15 inch. What do you guys recommend?

14. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Well you didn't say what your needs were. Assuming you want something portable I would get a 13" and a ipad. I have a 15" and hate carrying it around. Really regret thinking bigger would be better.

15. warvanov macrumors 6502a

It seems unnecessary to buy two portables. If an iPad will suit all of your on-the-go computing needs, then consider getting an iPad for portability and an iMac for use at home. If the iPad doesn't suit all of your portable computing needs, get a 15" MBP.

16. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I have a 13" MBP and an iPad 2, plus a desktop at home.

To me, there isn't much more I would get out of the 15" MBP besides the larger screen, so I saved $ and went 13".

The MBP and iPad are both portable, but are quite different. It's kind of like how the first non-console TV's were called portable. Sure, you can travel with either device, but you won't.

I only take my laptop if I know I will definitely need it--yes, it does some things better than an iPad, no doubt about it. But traveling with a laptop isn't just 'grab and go'. You'll have a whole bag with your charger and other attachments as well. People simply dont carry all that crap everywhere and it's hard to hide in a car, which is inviting for thieves.

With the iPad you can just pick it up and leave. The battery life is amazing and it fits in most vehicle glove compartments.

Laptops are portable, but iPads are truly mobile devices. If you can do a 13" MBP and an iPad 2, you're making a good choice.

17. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Why not get a 13" MacBook Air instead? You'll have the extreme portability of the iPad, whilst keeping the real estate and capabilities of the MBP. I am carrying around an 11" MBA as a university student myself, and I must say, it is a dream. Can't even notice it when it's in my bag together with my books. :)

18. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have a 13" MacBook Pro and an iPad and like another poster said I take the laptop when I know I will need the more advanced capabilities or use programs that aren't on the iPad.

The iPad offers more portability because of the longer battery life and when I recently took it on vacation to Key West the guesthouse I stayed at had clock radios in the room that you could charge either an iPhone or iPad in. Didn't even need the iPad charger. It was great.

19. e34guy macrumors member

20. walpear8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 13 " and iPad 2 or just MacBook Pro 15 "

13 inch and iPad 2 or 15 inch? Tough Time deciding. I'm not that into all the computer video / editing, but having a higher resolution screen with more space would be nice. Is the iPad 2 really worth it? Is the it tedious to carry around the 15 inch Macbook? Please help me deciding.

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

Depends on your needs.

22. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Didn't you ask this question like 2 days ago?

23. simsaladimbamba

This is the fourth thread about this since yesterday. Maybe it is reallllllllly important.

24. newdeal macrumors 68020

just the 13" in fact your question makes no sense because if you wanted a laptop and an iPad 2 you would get the big laptop for power needs and the iPad for light stuff and portability. a 13" and an iPad 2 is redundant (I know because I have both lol)