MacBook Pro 13" or 15"??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antster94, May 2, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Hey guys,

Basically I am buying a new computer in July and am not sure what size to go for. I will either be getting the 2.4Ghz 13" model brand new or a 15" mid 2009 model in new condition from eBay.

I want to be able to play games such as CoD MW2 through BootCamp so that will require a bigger screen but also be able to take the computer into college to makes notes in classes etc.

Any help much appreciated,
    Anthony

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It comes down to personal choice. Do you want a 13" screen or a 15" screen? Either will suit your needs just fine.

3. a4209797 macrumors member

a 15" is fine for college. i'm getting the 15" and i'm in college too. you will love the 15" for gaming. gaming on the 13" will be a pain.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're going to actually take it into class, many seem to prefer the 13" for that; personally, I would rather have a 15".

Either way, an external monitor for your desk might be a good idea.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What 15" is it? If it's 2.53GHz it'll be worse as it has 9400M. Bigger screen will also need more from the components, meaning that you must run it at lower settings.

6. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Well I would rather have a 15 but is it hard to carry around? And does anyone have any experience gaming on a 13?

Thanks for the quick replys dudes :D

EDIT: @hellhammer, its the lowest spec 15 so 2.4 most likely

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

"Hard to carry around" is relative. I carry around a 14" Dell (noticeably bigger and heavier than a 15" MBP) in a rollaround briefcase. I wouldn't call its size an issue; some people think a 13" is too big/heavy and opt for an Air. Like I said, my taste would be to get the 15".

As far as gaming, I've done some gaming on my 13" and I don't like it. I'd much prefer an external monitor for that.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, it's like what, 2 pounds lighter? 15" ain't too big to carry around but of course 13" is lighter and easier to carry around. I would anyway get an ext screen for gaming, that way 13" should be enough

EDIT: So then it's the 2.53GHz with 9400M which sucks for gaming. Get 13"

9. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Yeah I suppose it isnt much difference at all really.

I am actually thinking of forgetting gaming on it and sticking to playing on my PS3 and getting a smaller tv for my desk. I will occasionally play games such as GTA on it though, cant beat GTA4 during lunch time at school :p

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

GTA4 runs okay on 9400M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHsjzn4jp_4Should be even better on 320M.

Get a monitor with HDMI and DVI, so you can use it with PS3 and MBP

11. rodrigo7 macrumors newbie

If you are considering buying the 15" model that does not have discrete graphics I'd go with the 13". You'll get '10 hours' of battery life, better graphics, same processor and newer model (things like inertial scrolling and audio output through mini dp).
    A lot of people have macs in college so try borrowing for some minutes a 13 and a 15 and try to see if the screen size is that big of an issue for you.

12. ldobson macrumors regular

Well I have always had larger notebooks, which are fine for around the house, in my home office etc, however when I am out of the road its a major pain to carry even a 15" notebook around. So this time round I went with a 13" which I am currently typing on. Having used the 13" screen for a few days, I cant say i really miss the 15" screen, and it doesnt look that much smaller than the 15" model.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Gaming wise, performance is going to be almost identical (assuming 9600m gt) at native resolutions. In this situation, I would personally buy the new 13" machine.

14. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Thanks for the replys, first post here and getting good feedback, cheers.

I am gonna go for the 13" MacBook Pro. I will try it out at my local apple store this week as well to check it feels ok.

15. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I will say the 13" has a really nice foot print. It's small, lightweight, and very portable. BUT the screen size wasn't enough for me. Maybe if it had a higher resolution I would have been happy. But ultimately I ended up selling it and bought a 17" instead. I think you need to figure out if you want it more for portability or screen size.

16. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

@ih8antster: please take your inappropriate comments elsewhere, this is a place for technology discussion, not petty, abusive accounts to be set up to demean the moral of an innocent forum user.

@tekmoe: Thanks for that dude, thinking of a 15" now :)

anyone else's opinion?

17. ih8antster macrumors newbie

look young anthony, u failed that english test and ur gonna fail ur french oral tomoz:p

18. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

excuse me what are you talking about? PLEASE go away, it was a hard test and I am not going to fail. Stop spamming my innocent thread :S

19. ih8antster macrumors newbie

je suis desole

a mon avis, tu should get le 13". c'est plus facile a carrier around l'ecole

20. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Ah oui, mais je trouve le screen size assez petit pour jouer au CoD et GTA 4. Je pense que le 15 est le meilleur balence des deux mais il est de £ 500 plus cher que le 13".

21. ih8antster macrumors newbie

22. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Oui, ils sont trop chers, mais non, Mac est un bien meilleur OS que Windows, et que c'est un argument différent pour un autre moment.

23. ih8antster macrumors newbie

ah c'est vrai que ce conversation est pour un autre moment, cependant je vais du parler maintenant. le os x n'est pas superior a windows car windows est un tres bien os - on peut le utiliser tres facilement

24. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

non, j'aime le OSX, c'est aussi un forum mac donc s'il vous plaît aller.

25. ih8antster macrumors newbie

ce end part-ci doesnt really make too much sense but i think you want me to go? well non je ne vais pas "aller" car je continuerai a parler de ce sujet.

osx n'est pas bien - les macs sont *****