MacBook pro 13 predicament

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by njsa04playa, Nov 21, 2010.

1. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

Hey Fellow mac enthusiasts,

I am in a sort of predicament right now. I will give you my situation . I am a 13 yr old high schooler who goes to an advanced high school where a lot of schoolwork is done on computers although we aren't allowed to bring laptops into school. I have a 13 inch macbook pro latest revision with 2.66 500 gb and 4 gb ram i also have an apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse and a samsung 23 inch 1080 p external display used exclusively for my MacBook plugged in. I don't do that much processor intense work, nuts the usual fb lots of documents, some gimp, absolutely no gaming thats what ps3 is for, and basic schoolwork, email, i feel that a regular white book would do me fine. I forgot to add that im also trying to start programming. I plug the macbook into my display when i feel that i can use the extra space but most of the time it is just sitting on my desk. I also have anipod touch 4th gen that i use a LOT, my father has an iPad for work thAt i am allowed to use sometimes but not install fb apps and the like. I guess my real point of this thread is if i should buy my own iPad and keep everything else, but i feel that i have a portable macbook pro that doesn't even get taken anywhere. Can someone please give me their opinions on. What i should do? Thanks

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm in the same situation. As much as I want an iPad, I don't feel the need with my two iPod Touches, an iPhone and my Macbook Pro. I think I might get one though when the next revision comes out.

Personally, I don't see how the iPad is going to help you with school (you didn't mention why) so maybe you shouldn't buy one (at least right now) since you also have access to one. You have a new iPod and Macbook Pro, so I don't know, but it seems fine. If you want one though, go ahead and buy one. It's as simple as that.

You have a nicely specced Macbook Pro btw. I wish I had the 2.66Ghz version :eek:

Also, I dont' see what the Macbook has to do with anything in this thread. Maybe I'm just missing something.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol what a coincidence... me too! same predicament! hahaha
    except im waiting till the next MBP then i will buy that and the iPad together (even if the iPad is gen 1..)

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't buy one for a couple reasons. $500 (or more) is a lot to spend on what basically will amount to a very cool toy. That is also a lot of money to spend for someone who is 13. If you've got that kind of money, good for you, but I would save it. It will come in handy later, trust me. However, I suspect due to your age that the $1500 for your MBP and iPod did not come out of your pocket, and the iPad would actually be bought by your parents. Again, since you already have the iPod and the MBP, I see no sense in the iPad.

5. tominco macrumors member

As a parent of a 12 and 15 year old boys, this post bugs me. You've got a enough and should easily be able to do what you need with the PS3, MBP, and iPod. I'm sorry. I know this sounds all preachy, but geez, just how much stuff do you need to be happy. Learn to appreciate what you already have and to not go down the path of materialism.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If this post bugs you, move on and continue with your life. The OP didn't ask for a lecture on how to live. Everyone lives differently. :)

7. SidBala macrumors 6502a

8. njsa04playa thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i actually
    Aid for half of the macbook pro and all of the iPod touch, i actual,y have enough money for the iPad thati work for. I referee soccer. 25$ for 45 min games. And I also have a net book that i got for free when my mother worked for samsung that is just collecting dust. And I'm wondering if selling the macbook pro for a desktop and iPad would be worth it. I like Internet browsing on the iPad a d typing on it as i am now. However if i score s free samsung galaxy tablet, then all this is waived. I have contacts as naive as it seems thawt would get me the tablet for free

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ok i hcange my answer.. i looked at your sig.. with told me you have a ipod touch 4 gen.. and that's plenty.. the ipod touch 4G is all you would need and like a poster mentioned youre 13 man..you don't really need it now (its a cool gadget but nonetheless you have a MBP and Itouch,, the iPad would just add ot the gizmos that you may never use that frequently OR cause the MBP to loose its use...)

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Fair enough. I apologize if the comment about money offended you, I simply said that because most 13 year old kids I know don't have jobs or want to put in effort to make money. I still would say saving is a better idea, but it is your money, so spend how you please.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i agree with alust.. it is your money.. so its up to you i guess.. but do you NEED it or WANT it..
    if you NEED it (meaning it will have a genuine effect and impact on the way you live life.. study harder, change the way you think..save money in the long run?) or if you WANT it (you know.. fulfill the sense desires, etc..)

a lot of people buy the iPad because they WANT it not NEED it... i am also in the same situation.. i WANT the iPad.. but im getting a MBP next revision.. so what to do? i decided to buy it because im going to college and i have a job to pay for it and it will be handy for college.
    you are still 13, and in my eyes, it doesn't seem NEEDY mainly because of the whole "i have a MBP" [once again it feels like im a hypocrite.. so sry if it seems like im advising one thing and doing another.. i still haven't made up my mind though.. LOL!)

here I'll give you a head-start on finding out if you want to get the iPad.. etc.

When do you want it buy?
    What will be the uses (you might have mentioned it before, but list it please)
    How do you plan to use it?
    How do you think the MBP will fit in?
    Will it be a good run for money IF I already have the iTouch?
    Will i sell the iTouch for the iPad? (probably not, since the iTouch is a portable device-- well more than the iPad)
    What do i see in the iPad that is not seen/given by the MBP and iTouch?

answer these question (and if you want post it on this thread...and we will go from there :D

*if i come out as rude to you.. im really sry.. its not supposed to be rude.. but once again if it sounds rude I am sry
    **also sry about the caps on the Wants and Needs..

12. njsa04playa thread starter macrumors 6502

when i think about it, i may have some uses for it such as using dropbox on it to view all of my biology, genetics, chemistry, and forensics powerpoints and the like, some word processing on the bus if the need arose. But at home it would be more of a want since internet browsing is just plain fun on the ipad. It would definitely take away some of my time using the macbook though. I think your advice gave me a better look at the situation so unless i see an ipad under 400 ill save the money. I think that when the second generation comes out, people will be dropping their old ipads like flies and stores will be selling them cheaper, so maybe then ill be able to pick one up for a cheaper price around the 250 mark

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

its great to help! however, when you said that buying the iPad at 250 because stores will drop prices when gen 2 will come out... may/may not ever occur...if it does (and TJ Maxx recently was doing their 399 for iPad so its possible) then go for it...

but im not 100% sure :p