MacBook Pro 13" refusing to recognize any drives but Apple's stock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Doju, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

In September I bought a 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue from Newegg.com. Removed the stock 250GB Fujitsu and popped in the WD drive, closed laptop, booted up, popped the installer disk in and went about the install. Then it said "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X" and the area is blank, no disk able to be selected.

Annoyed, I took the new drive out, popped the old one in. Booted up, perfect. Popped new one in, trying once again, no luck. Put old one in, called Newegg they sent me a replacement.

I now do it again. EXACT SAME RESULT. Is it the drive? Is it Newegg? Is it my MacBook Pro? I'm finding this really annoying.

What could I be doing wrong? I unscrew the screws and pull the cover off laptop, unscrew the bridge that secures the hard drive, pull out the SATA connector, unscrew the mounting screws, put the mounting screws in the new HDD, plug in the SATA connector, mount the HDD, put the bridge securing the HDD back in, put the back cover for notebook on, screw that on. Pop Snow Leopard install disk in, turn notebook on.

Still doesn't recognize it. What is the deal? Please help guys, I'm incredibly annoyed with Newegg.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You need to initialize and format the drive using Disk Utility. It's available from the menu bar after language selection when booting from your OS-X Install DVD.

Make sure to click the "Options..." button on the Partition tab, and select GUID partition table. Format the partition as Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Once that's done, it should be available for OS-X installation.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Is there a jumper setting on the Scorpio? (I don't know - I don't have one).

What does Newegg have to do with this? Why aren't you annoyed with WD? (The people who actually make the thing).

Edit: The previous poster is kidding, right? You didn't format the drive?

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

/facepalm

Thanks gr8. I can't believe that's all I had to do. No one told me. :(

I didn't even have to send the old one back. Ah well!

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad that did it! Enjoy the new drive. :)