Macbook pro 13" - this or an ipad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmastersam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

hi, im just wondering if a macbook pro or an ipad would suit me better?
    my chosen options:
    macbook pro 13"
    ipad 2(or 3?) 32GB

I already have a main dell desktop for my main bits - if i got the MBP i would use it for the things that the PC can't do, or has the better overall software that comes with it to do my needs. At the moment i use my main PC for internet, word processing and just a bit of gaming now and then :apple:

If i got the ipad i would use it for the apps i cant do on my iphone 3GS (because the apps i like - they tend to lag a lot on the 3GS) and for movies/TV programmes

the times i would be expected to buy them would be between april/march time and around this time next year.

so what do you think guys and girls?

2. JazzyFizzle macrumors member

I have a iPad 2 and only use it when I'm either at college or at home in bed. I use my MBP for everything (games, work, web browsing), and my iPad for Facebook & GTA III, that's pretty much it.

Why are you choosing between a £500ish iPad and a £1000ish mac? If you've got the cash for the mac get it. The iPad is built around the AppStore. The AppStore is unfortunately built around cheap 69p (99c) apps that you play once, get bored of it, then get something else. Don't think of it as something you can do any form of work on.

3. tyrell456 macrumors member

It really depends on what you want to use them for.

If you're looking for a full-featured replacement/second-option to your desktop machine, it's probably best to go for the MacBook Pro. If you're looking for more of something that's easy to pack around with you, or use in bed or something like that, and you only plan on using it for stuff like web browsing, Facebook, etc., go with the iPad.

Another option would be the 11" MacBook Air, it's actually a pretty powerful machine for its size. It's kind of the "middle-ground" between a MBP and an iPad.

4. Liquinn Suspended

I'm not too sure, but with Ivy Bridge due to be released in a few months I'd wait ;(

5. rault18, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013

rault18 macrumors member

rault18

I use both a lot but I dont have a desktop

My ipad is for simple tasks, book reading, light browsing

My macbook is for processing my videos, writing papers, doing hard browsing.

You cant actually compare one or the other..but together they complement really nice

6. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The problem I find with the 11" MacBook air would that I find the MBA too small for a computer and going 13" would be too expensive. Could be the MBP for less than that and get more bang for your back with it. Hence I put the 13" MBP instead of the MBA alternative in terms of choice.

As for the iPad, screen size is not a problem because of how iOS works to fit with the screen

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Two totally different products. If you want a laptop, get a laptop. If you want a consumption device that's very nice to use but very limited in scope, get an iPad.

8. aCondor macrumors 6502

This. Choosing between an iPad and MBP is a strange question. The answer should be obvious for you. If it isn't... what are you buying it for?

9. Riles31 macrumors newbie

Your succinct response is wonderful, while making it clear why no-one can comfortably justify why he/she bought an iPad.

Apologize for off-topic question: Do you like using your Kindle?

10. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

do u want a fullfledge computer that can do everything

or a ipad that can only do basic things

11. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I already have a 'full fledged' main win7 desktop, I just don't know heather to get another computer or another iOS device whic can act like a computer. When it isnt

12. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

do u wat a full fledge PORTABLE computer....geeze

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Honestly, an iPad and MBP are so far apart, I don't know how anyone can really make a recommendation based on the information you've given. You already have a computer that you use for most things, and you don't seem to want the MBP to replace it. You don't seem to have any identifiable purpose for either device.

What do you NEED the device to do for you? That's the question you need to answer. Not, "If I get an MBP, I'll use it for this, but if I get an iPad, I'll use it for this other thing." Identify your needs. If you can't do that, then you don't really need to purchase either one. If you still want to, just get whatever you think will be more fun to play with.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Ask yourselves: What can the MBP do that the iPad can't? (A lot). I've always wondered what "niche" market the ipad belongs in and this thread is evident that others feel the same way.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I think the iPad is very useful, for certain segments of the population. My dentist adores his. He carries it around with him and uses it to show his patients digital photos of their mouths, x-rays, etc. It's also very useful for people that don't need everything a full-fledged notebook has to offer, and there's a lot of people that fall into that category. The iPad definitely has its place. But comparing it to a MBP is rather pointless...they're made for very different tasks.

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I understand and agree. But that was the comparison posed in this thread.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Yes, I understand that. Comparing the MBP to the iPad makes no sense. But that doesn't mean the iPad is only for a niche market. If it was, it wouldn't be selling in the huge numbers that it is. They each have their purposes. But without the OP being able to identify his/her needs, there's no way for anyone to give useful advice here.

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I can't see any particular reason why you need a 13" MacBook Pro as your computing needs are taken care of, so if I were you I'd wait for the iPad 3 and get that :)

However, if you ultimately decide that you want to use a Mac for computing, then the MacBook Pro is for you.

19. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

I purchased an iPad 2 with the thought it might replace a laptop especially for business travel. Having used in on two trips I can tell you that it does not. As others have stated, for media consumption, reading (kindle app) and watching videos, the iPad is great. INMHO, it DOES NOT replace a laptop.

With that in mind, I just purchased the MacBook Pro 13 and I couldn't be happier. I have been a PC user all my life and decided it was time to take the Mac plunge in a laptop and here I am. So far, I am very pleased with the MacBook and I feel that this is going to be a better business device than the iPad was. To answer your question, you have to be very clear about your use of the device and let that dictate your decision. Good Luck!

20. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok then, i would use my 'device' for gaming, watching movies and internet. happy now!? got your answer?

21. lamboman macrumors 6502

Wow, ask for help, then be rude and provide the same information from your first post that wasn't helpful the first time round. Not a great way to get help, to be honest.

From the information you have given, I would pick neither of those devices. A 4S sounds like the device you want.

22. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Apparently you find the word "device" objectionable for some reason? Look, people were trying to help you, but it's difficult to help when the person asking for help doesn't have a clear idea of what they need the items they're considering purchasing to be able to do. (See, I used "items" there, since devices bothered you so much ;)). Getting an attitude isn't likely to get people to help you out, though. Good luck figuring out what to buy.

23. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

My advice concerning the cost of a 13" MBA would be to consider buying refurb or 2nd hand as these tend to bring the cost down to about that of a new MBP while providing the screen estate and portability you seem to want.

Also consider buying Apple refurb'd MBP, they're all good quality and come with the same warranty as a new one.

iPads are cool but have limited uses, if you can wait maybe see what the iPad 3 adds to the mix to see if it provides more bang for your buck then.

24. macmastersam, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, you guys did ask what i would use my item for, and i replied back.

i know that MOST people on here that are nice and helpful, and i thank them for the help that those people gave me, but with all due respect to those who are telling me that i am rude, you are being equally rude as well. most of your answers were like 'do you NEED this' or ' you are not explaining what you use the device for', i came here to ask for some friendly advice, and this is what i get?? for the billionth time, i would use my device for movies, internet and gaming.

so think twice before you call me rude? and also, i have an iphone 3GS

----------

thanks for you help and tips :D appreciated :)

i know people were trying to help me, and I thank them for that, but it is when differant people keeping asking the same question AGAIN and AGAIN, thats when it annoys me. i tryed my best to explain what i would do on my new ipad/MBP! really? when one person asks one thing, why repeat it? it isnt going to influence my decision nor help me on it! thanks for your help anyways

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, it just struck me as a non-question question.

I love it, but I still don't know why I would need a tablet LOL. I'm going to try reading an online magazine that comes in PDF format on it soon, which apparently works well in landscape mode with a half a page on it at a time. For web and apps, it's not so hot, but I absolutely love reading Kindle books on it with white text on black when it's dark, as it focuses you in on the book in a dark environment. The only weird part when reading is how heavy the thing is, the regular Kindle is a lot more arm-friendly. I'll probably get an iPad eventually, as it's a different device as well, as the smaller tablets are small enough to read a book with, but probably not big enough for magazine reading.