Macbook Pro 13 to be discontinued

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianfast, Oct 23, 2010.

?

will the mbp 13 be killed off

1. yes

45 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. no

233 vote(s)
    83.8%
  1. brianfast macrumors regular

I just saw the new Macbook airs today. They have a higher res screen, are only slightly slower, and Apple has no way of significantly upgrading the specs of the Macbook Pro 13 without changing chip suppliers. The Macbook Pro 13 is kind of a joke as a "pro" product anyway, with the limited port selection it offers. Steve said "I think in the future all laptops will be [like the macbook air]"

I think Apple will kill off the Macbook Pro 13 once they run out of stock, at least temporarily, until Intel makes OpenCL capable integrated graphics...

who agrees?

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The 13" MBP "Junior" is destined for the history books. The 13.3" MBA is the best you can get from Apple in that form factor now. It was pretty clear last spring when the Junior was overlooked for an i5 or i7 that it was going to be killed off.

As of this past week, its living on borrowed time.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think this is absolute nonsense.

Getting killed off had nothing to do with it. Apple didn't give it the iX Treatment because they wanted to preserve battery life.

4. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Nonsense! Since it's their best-selling notebook, there's no way that Apple discontinues the 13" mbp. (I posted before I read the above)

Sure, it needs to be updated, but just the resolution upgrade would please a lot of people.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I very highly doubt that. First, it has the same port selection as the MBP 15" with the only difference being the combined audio in/out. They aren't going limit themselves to LV/ULV chips and significantly less battery life, storage, ports, upgrades and fixability.

6. tharris0101 macrumors member

Agreed.. the 13" MBP is the most common laptop I see out in public. Unless the MBA cuts into its sales significantly, the low end MBP isn't going anywhere

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dont be stupid. it wont be dying.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Agreed, not a chance there too popular. At work were selling 3 or 4 a week.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

really thats quite a bit for your area! thats impressive - think of how many an Apple store would be selling! :eek:

10. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Same here. I've yet to actually see anyone at my university with a 15" MBP like me. And I'm at the largest university in New Zealand. I see 13" EVERYWHERE.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

now think how many they sell on 5th Ave in Manhattan ... the 13 inch MBP is here to stay, that is why they brought it out last ... people want it.

The Air is not for everyone ... when Jobs said this is the future of all laptops, he meant SSD and long battery life ... not paper thin MBPs.

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

THANK YOU! someone with some logic.

When I've told friends this, I got that same response.. Using flash for storage would free up alot more of room in a MBP, possibly seeing upto 10+ hours for a 17" on battery instead of 7-8

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

+1

14. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

More likely that the MBA and MB will come together in the middle somehow. The MB is the odd machine in the lineup right now, not the MBP 13.

15. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I hope not because I like my 13", it's the only size laptop I have ever owned since I have my 21" iMac. Granted I plan on getting a new one in 2 years and passing mine to my daughter but I am hoping they still are offered as an option because the MBA's are to thin for me.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

This.

Why would a company discontinue the best-selling model from a product line?:rolleyes:

17. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

Because Steve Job's can do whatever the hell he feels like.

18. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Considering its sales, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't kill it off.

As to the previous poster, even though Steve has a lot of power, he still has to answer to a board.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

No. Steve Jobs has a BoDs and stockholders to answer to.

Seriously?

20. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

No I wasn't being serious. I am on the side that believes they'll keep them around for a little while longer. They might attempt to market them to people who are looking for a 13" but getting rid of them all together I don't think will happen.

Also I'm a stockholder so I will call Steve and let him know we want to keep them. :rolleyes:

21. Resist macrumors 68030

What Apple needs to do is get rid of the "Pro" title and just call them "Macbook".

22. SidBala macrumors 6502a

They won't discontinue it. The MBP 13 is "economical workhorse" platform that everyone can use.

They will however amp up the resolution all across the board to match the MBP 17's screen's 132 PPI.

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think the 13" Pro will go. Many people (including myself) thought that the MBA was going to be killed off - And now look at it! :D

If they did chuck it that would really suck. But anyway, they said once the 13" was their best selling Mac. Why would they kill it?!

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hey I live in New Zealand too ;) I didn't think Macs were that common over here...

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

-_-

then how will they distinguish it from the white macbook.