MacBook Pro 14"/16"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermir4444, Apr 4, 2010.

?

Would you buy a MacBook Pro 14"/16" 16:9

1. Yes I would

55.0%
  2. No way will i lose vertical pixels

45.0%
  1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

What if the next gen MacBook Pro turns out to be like this considering the sku 6.1 and 6.2
    MacBook Pro 14 - 1600:900
    MacBook Pro 16 - 1920:1080

What do you guys think?
    Would you be happy buying one?

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I think the 16" MBP is a little large to be replacing the 15"... It may only be an inch but then that's half the upgrade to the full blown 17"

3. twilightrose macrumors member

I would enjoy the change from 16:10 to 16:9, however, I do not want to lose size. I plan on getting the 17". It's not going to be an ultra portable computer for me, school after class and the rare occasion car ride so bigger screen for my use will be better.

4. solarein macrumors regular

What are you referring to when you say "the sku 6.1 and 6.2"?

5. twilightrose macrumors member

I think he is mentioning the relevence of the MBP 6.1/6.2 that appeared in 10.6.2

6. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I'm not a fan of the 16:9 aspect ratio. More vertical space is needed, even more so when notebooks are concerned.

It's great for watching HD movies and the like, but for general computer use, 16:10 all the way.

7. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Before I purchased my uMBP, I was hell bent trying to decide over the 13 or the 15. I wanted it to be portable, because I ride my motorcycle to school and work. I got to use a friend’s 13” macbook, and decided to get the 15” just because of the screen size. I wish I would have gotten the 13”. If there were a 14”, there’s no question. I would have picked it up.

8. twilightrose macrumors member

I agree with that :10 being better for more scree real estate I guess I'm just more used to :9 as I'v only owned 4:3 and 16:9 :p

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If resolution increases, then I would see it as a positive upgrade but if it stays about the same, then it's pretty useless.

You forgot 18" MBP :rolleyes:

10. Spandexman macrumors regular

This'd be pretty good for me. I want to get the large screen, but worry a tinge about it being clunky at 17". The 16" would ease my mind significantly, especially with a full HD screen. This would be pretty much the same as the Sony Vaio F, which I considered getting a couple of months ago. I'd be a happy bunny if this happens later this month. :)

11. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Yes I would prefer a larger screen BUT only if the form factor remained unchanged and the screen grew into the inexplicably large bezel.

Really though, I'd prefer the form factor to shrink around the present display sizes and eat Mr Fatty Bezel

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i was thinking of the same thing not too long ago. what if apple turned macbook air into a macbook, and changed 13" macbook pro into 14, while 15 to 16, and eliminate or replace the 17" with 18" or 17.something.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

14. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I would hate the lose the vertical space. Other than when watching movies which I seldom do on my MBP, there isn't any advantage to have a 16:9 ratio screen for me.

15. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I feel like such an outcast when I say that I hate the idea of Apple changing anything with the screens.

Higher resolution is so hard to work with. I'm not doing anything graphics intensive, I'm writing a lot, using some math programs, and researching, and the idea of text being any smaller makes me cringe. If OS X had resolution independence that font smoothing didn't blow up I wouldn't complain.

Same with the lack of vertical space. It creates a bigger hassle for those who don't do anything but watch movies.

Sure, if the notebook was purely intended for multimedia, then I'd be all for this, but it seems like a pain when it comes to working.

16. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

17. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I will buy whatever Apple decides to do with the next MBP.

18. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

As per said in another thread, the transition from 16:10 to 16:9 doesn't necessarily imply loss of vertical space. It can indicate expanding the screen horizontally. This would also allow the 13" to gain side speaker grills (which have lovers and haters).

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

The viewable surface of a 16:9 screen is less than that of a 16:10 screen with the same diagonal.

I wont mind switching to a wider form factor only if the change is followed by a resolution bump. Given that OS X has both the dock and the top option bar, vertical space is already limited and anything under 800 for the 13" is unacceptable.

I don't want a bigger laptop though.

20. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

thats why you have the hide dock feature

21. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

It lags and is a slow-down when you are multitasking and changing between apps a lot. At least for me.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why do people want 16:9 displays. For most documents and window viewing, 16:10 is perfect.

Not everyone wants to watch movies 24/7 on their laptops; in fact most of us would be better off with the extra screen real estate. Next thing we know, Apple turns into Dell and we have 20" laptops.

Try moving the dock to the left/right of the screen. I love it that way. Of course I don't actually use the dock and use Quicksilver and Terminal for everything.

23. gotzero macrumors 68040

"No way will I love vertical pixels" sums it up just about right. I was glad to see the 4:3 iPad slow the smashing of screens.

I think this is coming from Apple, since the iMac line is already there. Until my eyes go, I would like as many pixels as possible in 16:10 at the widest.

24. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Fo sho I'd like it. So long as there's no loss in res. Majority of people never seem to understand this is an option.

I love the 1600X900 screen on my PC laptop B). Makes side by side viewing much better imo (I'm actually watching south park and browsing that way at the moment. Could put the start bar at the side as well if I cared about the bar along the bottom.

25. solarein macrumors regular

You can also put the dock on the side.