Macbook Pro 15" 2015 bottom case flex?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Conradiminja, May 19, 2017.

1. Conradiminja macrumors newbie

Hi

I got my new Macbook pro 15" (Mid 2015) last week and have been enjoying it completly without any problems so far!

But yesterday i was carrying the laptop in my sleeve (Inside my bag withnothing else in it, so no weight on the laptop) and i heard a "snap" sound which i didnt think more about.

But today when i was going to lift it, i noticed that the bottom right part of the case is flexing up and down about 1-2mm, its quite hard to see it, but it feels like the aluminium bottom part is flexing so it touches the hardware inside and makes a very weak "dot" noise.

The left side of the bottom is completly solid / rigid and has no flexing, and its only flexing around the area that i've marked with a coin (see picture).

Is this something that is normal and i didnt notice when i got the laptop? Or should i head to a apple service center and see if something is wrong with it? It's barely used and only 5 days old since i got it.

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Is it the aluminium itself or the case you've put around it?

Regardless there have been issues with bottom case flex, especially on the classic unibody shell (2012 or earlier). Not as much of an issue with the Retina models as they're built to much higher tolerances, and the 2016 even more than that.

It can't hurt to take it to an Apple Store. If it is the bottom case flexing, then unscrewing it and reseating it normally does the trick. They'll have it sorted for you in a jiffy.

3. Conradiminja thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a dbrand vinyl wrap i've put on the aluminium, so no case! :)
    So its the aluminium itself that flexes. And its only in that spot. Been looking at a few teardown videos and the area that flexes is close to one of the batteries.

I'll probably do that, i thought that it would be worth checking here if its a normal problem.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I wouldn't say it's a normal problem, but certainly nothing unusual or cause for concern. Best take it to a store. :)

5. Conradiminja thread starter macrumors newbie

I went past a apple store yesterday and the guy i spoke to, said its a rare problem when the laptop bottom case flexes like that and it can be that something went wrong during manufacturing.
    But it was a quick and simple fix, he took a very thin piece of cloth and gently pushed from the back and forward down over the case and you could hear a very quiet "click"

It was one of the two "clips" that holds the bottom case rigid that had somehow managed to come loose. The clip is seated right around that area that was flexing. :)