Macbook Pro 15 aftermarket fan like rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lingo124, Jul 30, 2012.

1. lingo124 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know of any aftermarket fans for the unibody macbook pro that are like the retina one. I would like my laptop to be quieter under load.

Thanks.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I guess you could try iFixit to buy parts, but looking at the parts, I don't think the fans are compatible.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. IllmasterMath macrumors regular

Those have always sounded like a burnt out motor waiting to happen to me. If you're concerned about noise I'd suggest trying blowing out the air intakes with compressed air or reapplying the thermal paste to your CPU (Apple is notorious for using big fat globs of it)

5. lingo124 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ya I keep my fans and heatsink completely clean all the time. I just dont like how loud my fan goes up to when I play games for example. It's kind of annoying.

Also at above poster, cutting my own fan blades? haha sounds like it would make an awesome project! maybe ill try sometime if i find time

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Before you get out the surgery tools, I thought I'd point out that it's not the blades themselves which are asymmetrical, but their placement around the hub. That's what changes, and spreads out, the blade frequencies. (That's my understanding, anyway.)

I hate fan noise, too, but not too worried about them burning out when running at high speeds - at least bearing wise. If the rMBP's fans are the same lineage as my Early 2009 UB 17" MBP, they have magnetic bearings.