Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apostolos21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Greece
Hello! Thank you for opening this thread,
the problem with my MacBook is that sometimes after launching some apps (especially that graphics process is requiered), the machine behaves like playing a game with 10-15 fps. I open activity monitor and I see in the cpu usage that the kernel task runs too high.
The only solutions is to make a reboot. After rebooting it, it runs like before.(*) The cpu proximity temperature is ~40 C and the GPU a bit lower. Also after trying to play a video e.g from the photos.app its also plays in low fps. On youtube videos it goes a bit better. I think that the GPU is responsible on a higher grade for all these problems and the CPU for a less.(**)I think that the GPU can't render. How can i test my cpu and gpu ? would be helpfull if ill replace the therman paster? Can you tell me your thoughts about fixing the problem ?

*( Not too smooth, it lags in some points but I don't know the reason.)
**( most times the cpu usage is high while using safari or chrome (all other apps are not running) I don't know if the os cause this or a bad config.(the OS was installed on 01/MAY/2018)

MACBOOK SPECS:
i7 on 2 Ghz.
16gb ram.
Samsung ssd evo 250 (trim is enabled).
No battery installed.
NVRAM has been reseted.

The machine was for photoshop,Autocad etc.

Thank you for reading :) ! Any help would be acceptable ! :D

Last edited:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Another issue, besides the known dGPU problems, is that the processor will run about half speed because there is no battery installed. The Apple laptops are designed that external power does not have enough power, without the battery helping, under a heavy load. The CPU gets throttled to conserve power if there is no battery.

Reactions: apostolos21

apostolos21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Greece
Another issue, besides the known dGPU problems, is that the processor will run about half speed because there is no battery installed. The Apple laptops are designed that external power does not have enough power, without the battery helping, under a heavy load. The CPU gets throttled to conserve power if there is no battery.

thats why i mentioned that there is not a battery installed. ive order a 40€ replacment one from ebay. do you think that the defference between the replacement one and the new one will be big ? will the laptop run better when the battery will be placed on it ?
[doublepost=1525539729][/doublepost]
This MacBook is known for having gpu problems and it could be an indication that the gpu is failing.

I recommend backing up your data and start looking for a replacement.

im just looking for fixing this one. i already have a new one mac. thank your for commenting :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.