MacBook Pro 15 High CPU Temperature, normal ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inket, Dec 23, 2009.

1. inket macrumors regular

inket

Hi there,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro 15inch, the 2.66Ghz model;

Nice laptop, but I'm worried about something: I play some games from time to time and I have been noticing that the CPU Temperature goes very High.

My record is 92°C just moments ago while playing World of Warcraft.

You can see a screenie here: http://drp.ly/6gW9a
    (In this screenshot the Fans speed was about 2600rpm although under 90° they drop to 2000rpm)

The laptop itself is not hot though, it's warm. (And I like it <3)

So, I'd like to know if this is normal and I don't have something to worry about.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Having the temps in the 90s (Celsius) and the fan speed not ramping up over 3k is definitely not normal and those temps are way too high. When my MBP's temps start inching into the 70s, 80s, my fans really start cranking up. I've never seen 90c on my MBP.

Try resetting the SMC or downloading smcFanControl so you can at least manually adjust the fan speed to maintain better temperatures.

While the CPU is rated for 100c, that doesn't mean all of the components are and if you continually hit temps that high, I would wonder about the longevity of the MBP.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The components are probably rated even higher. :rolleyes:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not from what I've read, beside heat and electronics don't mix. Running the MBP that high with the fans not ramping is certainly not normal or good for the MBP

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's puzzling why the fans aren't going higher, but standard components undergo sustained exposure to higher temperatures than a mere 100 C without damage during the PCB population process in the first place.

7. inket thread starter macrumors regular

inket

Now that you mentioned it, my Fans speed is really awkward.

I got the CPU to go 89° C again but they kept running at 2000rpm http://drp.ly/6iC3t

Moments later, the CPU was at 77° while the fans were at 2300rpm. ><

I think I'm going to try resetting the SMC thing for now.
    Meanwhile, more opinions are welcome.

Thank you for your answers. :)

8. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Sound to me like you might have a bad sensor. Take it to the Apple store and have them see if they can stress test it.

9. inket thread starter macrumors regular

inket

Ok, good news:

After resetting the SMC, the maximum temperature the CPU reached was 89° under heavy stress. (was between 79°-85° for the rest of the game time)

and fans speed reached around 3300rpm which is good.

Is it ok ?

Otherwise:
    -Which temps other people have while playing on their MBP 15" (2.66Ghz w/ 9600M GT) ?
    -How much is the maximum fans speed ?
    -@pcorajr: Is there an app to stress test it by myself ? ;d

(Sorry for my bad english)

Thanks again.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I still recommend downloading and using smcFanControl. That way you can blast the fans at 6,000rpm if you wish and keep the MBP even cooler

11. findnemo macrumors regular

Why don't you just use SMCfancontrol - I run mine at 4,500 rpm when playing wow and I never get above 74C and this is on a first gen MBP with chunks of thermal paste.

No wonder you're at 90C - the fans are barely spinning!

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

it's a known issue ...
    You can keep temperature under control simply using FanControl or smcFanControl.

13. inket thread starter macrumors regular

inket

Thanks for all the replies.

I installed smcFanControl and now everything is fine.
    I can play all day with the fans running @ 4000rpm and the CPU temp staying under 60°.

Problem solved; However, I'm curious as to why Apple made it like this.
    Is it because they don't care about the gaming market ?
    Or because they want their laptops to be extremely silent ?

Again, thanks for all your help :)

14. Collider macrumors regular

Just a guess, mind you, but I'd imagine it's probably the desire to keep their laptops super-silent. While it's definitely true to say that (WoW notwithstanding), Mac OS and gaming don't exactly go hand-in-hand, gaming isn't the only thing that can cause those sorts of temperatures.

So my money's on "Silence > Sense". :)

15. robj macrumors regular

But gaming isn't the only thing that can put your MBP "on fire" :eek:

If you build in xCode some big app ( like Chromium ), your MBP will stay at 100% some time, and the temp will high up.

I don't know why the sensors don't do their task and put the fans up & running when needed.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It seems to me that Apple is more focused on keep their computers silent that on keep their computers cooled ...
    BTW my Mac Mini shows same behavior ...

I second that ;)

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

running YouTube videos causes the temp to go up about 10-15 degrees. i cant believe that so much CPU power goes into something like that.

18. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

It's staying under 60°C at 4000rpm? That's really cool. Mine stays at around 89C even with the fans set to 7000rpm.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

there are about 1 million thread in the web speaking of this issue: it is the Flash implementation in Mac OSX that is poorly written. Not Apple's fault

Under full load, with FanControl installed, mine stays under 83°C with fan at 3400-3600 rpm.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

not saying that its anyone's fault i just find it amazing thats all haha.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Hoping that next Flash release will be better (as they say at every new release :()

22. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

What OS has a good implementation of Flash? Flash is absolutely awful on all OSes.

It is a bad platform and people ran with it.

I can't wait until H.264 can be embedded into webpages rather than running Flash videos. (The latest Firefox supports <video> tags)

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That has sadly become apparent on Facebook when playing Cafe World of all things. Some little dude making food for customers takes an insane amount of CPU power. How Google thinks cloud-based anything will take over the world with crap like this is beyond me.

24. vsp macrumors regular

So, what are reasonable temperature settings and fan speeds for gaming on a MacBook Pro? The only thing I do that really tends to ramp up the fans are games (WoW, X3, going to be trying Dragon Age Origins).

I used to monitor the temperature of my MacBook but it never seemed to get too high so I stopped. Now with a few problems with the 3.3 WoW patch and the threads I've seen regarding Dragon Age and heat, I'm planning on tracking this a bit better.

Using smcFanControl, should I be aiming for keeping the temp while gaming under 90c and adjusting the fan speeds until I can hold it there? Is 90c still too high?

I've looked around and recommended temperatures seems to be more anecdotal than anyone having a particular objective set of standards.

I'm also assuming that when people reporting temperatures they're reporting what smcFanControl is showing. I used to have a different temp monitor app that reported the temperature of the various components/sections of the laptop.

Thanks for any advice, and happy holidays!

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm using FanControl, and I can keep temperature below 85°C under full load (2 cores).
    I think this is an acceptable value for a notebook