Macbook Pro 15 inch, advice regarding screen standard glossy or HR AG needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kashika, May 23, 2011.

1. Kashika, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

Kashika macrumors regular

Hello, I have a question regarding the 15 inch Macbook Pro 2011.

I have the option of getting the high end version of a 15 inch model with a 25% discount. Without any customisation of course.
    However I am leaning towards a matte high resolution screen, but then the discount can't be applied in the same way. It would be 12,5% instead of 25%.

Which would you recommend? Because I will use this machine for 4+ years probably and the thought of having a better screen seems much more appealing, but it would be a very large difference in price.

2. aloshka macrumors 65816

I think the hires screen is a must unless you will always be hooking the laptop to an external monitor.

3. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

I will not be hooking it up to an external monitor. That's why I'm doubting.

The cost difference is about 300 euros.

4. aloshka macrumors 65816

Is the only thing different the hi-res matte screen or slight spec changes as well?

5. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

The only difference is the screen yes. I thought about spec changed, but I can do those later for a lesser price with third party hardware.

6. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I love my high-res.. it's worth it completely! It makes it a great upgrade over my old MBP.

7. aloshka macrumors 65816

The hires screen is definitely worth it. 300 EU is definitely pushing it, but if you have the money, I'd do it. It makes a big difference.

What do you primarily do with your computer?

8. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Made mistake when calculating the price difference. Because I'm also adding applecare.
    Price difference is 400 euros.

I primarily browse internet, make presentations, create text documents, listen to music, download, watch and stream movies. When I get my Pro I'll do gaming as well.
    I've minimally used photoshop and adobe flash for my study. Since I'm starting a new study soon, I might need to use them again. But I don't use them primarily.

9. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Is there someone who can offer me some clear advice regarding this?

It's a frustating choice to make. Since the price difference is quite large. And the problem is that I can't go to a store here and look at the Macbook with a matte screen.
    Since my discount is a limited time only I need to make up my mind within the next few days.

Is there anyone who can give me advice regarding the standard screen or a high resolution matte screen?

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How old are you? If you're >40 then you might not like the high resolution screen. If you're 20 and your eyes are good, it's fine. For music (obviously) and for movies the resolution makes little difference. It's a 15" screen, not a 40" TV where you would see the difference. For 400 euros I don't think I would take the higher resolution.

11. Barnzee macrumors regular

The Hi-res screen is a must! its worth it. I've compared the two side by side and the difference is substantial. I couldn't imagine having my MBP without sexiness of the high-res screen.

12. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

The resolution difference isn't my main concern regarding the screen. It's antiglare or glossy.
    Because the standardmodel has a normal-res glossy screen, while the antiglare has a high-res matte screen.

13. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Right, my choice now is the AG screen. Even though it's more expensive.
    It's one of the things I can't alter after I get the MBP. I have a feeling I'll always regret it if I don't take the better screen option.