Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamh10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Bradford, ON, Canada
Hi all,

I'm quite familiar with the letter prefixes for part numbers for Apple Devices - particularly for iPhones and iPads (ex: M = brand new, N = brand new, replacement, F = refurbished, etc.). What I am less familiar with, and am having trouble finding anywhere online with searches everywhere on the Internet is the prefix letter codes for part numbers for MacBook Pro's, particularly new 2017 MacBook Pro 15-inch with TouchBar and TouchID models.

For example, I recently purchased and received the following MacBook Pro (2017) 15-inch with TouchBar:

- Upgraded processor: 3.1GHz (Turbo 4.1 GHz) quad core Intel Core i7
- Upgraded storage: 2TB SSD Flash Storage (from the standard 512GB SSD)
- Radeon Pro 560 4GB Dedicated Graphics
- 16GB RAM
- Apple Care Protection Plan 3 years

The part number for my computer is Z0UC0LL/A.

It cost me $6,500 CAD including taxes and government recycle fees. This is a brand new, straight from the factory unit - as such, I expected that the part number would begin with M as per usual for brand new products - which is the case for standard configuration, non-customized MacBook Pro's in this class.

I have found some, but seemingly not all, of the letter prefixes for part numbers for MacBook Pro's at various websites around the Internet, and precious little for the 2017 MacBook Pro's with TouchBar and TouchID.

Does the "Z" prefix for the part number of my new computer simply mean that it is indeed a brand new item purchase, just like the "M" part number prefix for standard models, but that the item has been customized to certain technical specifications? I am curious to know if this is also the case for anyone else who customized a brand new Mac computer, or more specially, a MacBook Pro 2017 edition with TouchBar and Touch ID (15-inch) - as that would narrow it down for me.

Thanks for any information! This has me curious, as the device technical info sticker which comes on the back of the box looks to be in a different size/format than most new Apple computers (I've included a photo of it), which begin with the prefix "M" for the part numbers.

I absolutely appreciate your assistance and help in resolving this strange curiosity of mine regarding my new beast-mode MacBook Pro machine. :)

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 327

adamh10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Bradford, ON, Canada
Sorry. What's the question?

“Does the "Z" prefix for the part number of my new computer simply mean that it is indeed a brand new item purchase, just like the "M" part number prefix for standard models, but that the item has been customized to certain technical specifications?”

In other words, why does my brand new MacBook Pro have a part number that begins with “Z” instead of the standard “M” for all Apple products, including for this MacBook Pro 15-inch with TouchBar and TouchID? I would like to know if it is because I customized it, or if it is a rebuilt, returned unit or something like that. Did it come from the assembly factory in China, built to order, brand new and untampered with outside of the factory?

Stuff like that.

Thanks

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Z is for old used Macs just before they get dumped. As it's the last letter in the alphabet this should be clear to everyone. Send it back before it stops working

adamh10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Bradford, ON, Canada
Z is for old used Macs just before they get dumped. As it's the last letter in the alphabet this should be clear to everyone. Send it back before it stops working
Why would it be used, end of life? It's a brand new, custom order MacBook Pro 15-inch 2017 with TouchBar and Touch ID with top/max specs that was custom ordered and shipped from the factory in China. What you said doesn't make sense to me based on what I've ordered and the fact that is was customized and shipped brand new...?

When I search for this part number, Z0UC0LL/A, online, I get websites selling the same MacBook Pro that I have with the same specs. It seems to me that this part number applies to all max-spec 15-inch MacBook Pro's (TouchBar/TouchID edition), as every time I find one with a 2TB SSD, Radeon 560 4GB, 16GB RAM, 3.1GHz i7 (Turbo 4.1GHz), it has this same part number.

It's definitely not used as it shipped from the factory in China... very odd.

I have added some pictures to this post of the system specifications... if anyone has any insight as to what the Z in the part number means - is it standard for customized MacBook Pro's? If it is what the other poster said, use and end of life, why would a brand new, high end customized MBP have such a part number? Again, attached are some of the specs and any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

• MacBook Pro - SysInf.jpg
    MacBook Pro - SysInf.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 247
  • MacBook Pro - SysInf NVM SSD 2TB.jpg
    MacBook Pro - SysInf NVM SSD 2TB.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 281
  • MacBook Pro - SysInf2_IntelHD630.jpg
    MacBook Pro - SysInf2_IntelHD630.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 289
  • MacBook Pro - SysInf3_RadeonPro560.jpg
    MacBook Pro - SysInf3_RadeonPro560.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 226
  • MacBook Pro - SysInf4_RAM16GB.jpg
    MacBook Pro - SysInf4_RAM16GB.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 225
  • MacBook Pro - Z0UC0LL:A.jpg
    MacBook Pro - Z0UC0LL:A.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
my stock 2.9 512 560/4gb, has on the box and the invoice, an M letter. So its reasonable to assume a Z means an upgrade to a stock model. Of which I think, there are only two stock models?

This might make more sense than the old days when things were clipped onto the motherboard i.e. RAM, and drives. These days they are soldered into the motherboard, so the machine would have its motherboard differently manufactured from the stock models. I haven't worked out the combinations and permutations of the model mix. There's few options though ...

I cannot find my model number from any software checks. I can only find my model number from the box. Maybe its also on the outside somewhere, I'm not sure ...

Its an interesting question.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Since no one has directly answered the question, yes, a “Z” prefix in the model number simply identifies the machine as a custom build.

Reactions: adamh10

adamh10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Bradford, ON, Canada
Since no one has directly answered the question, yes, a “Z” prefix in the model number simply identifies the machine as a custom build.
Thank you. This is what I assumed, I just was unfamiliar with it as I've never custom built a Mac before, only purchased a stock variant option.

I appreciate you directly answering what I was asking, even if it came out in a jumbled mess!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.