Macbook Pro 15"-- Pop, Dead, Smoke?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

My friend is in Brazil right now and her Macbook Pro 15" just did something weird.

Let me start off by saying that her laptop was plugged into magsafe, but NOT plugged into an outlet.

She was using the Macbook Pro and all of a sudden she heard a pop noise, her laptop turned off, and she smelled a smokey smell.

She now turned it back on and says she smells a burning smell.

Any idea what this might be?

Again, it wasn't plugged into the wall, so it's not a power conversion thing. I'm stumped.
    Her fan IS working, so it's not a broken fan.

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

It may be the battery that has popped....does it show any bulging where the battery is?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it wasn't plugged in, then the electric from the battery was the cause and/or source of the issue.

Either way, smelling something burnt is not a good sign and she should take it in to be serviced.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It might be a bug getting fried inside the machine....

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Thanks for all the replies. Battery makes sense. I'll have her check on the battery.

I'm assuming if the battery was going on, it would give the "service battery soon" message when looking at the battery status. I've seen the plenty of times and eventually the battery swells up and pops the touch pad up and out of the laptop.

Wish I could just look at it myself, but Brraazziillll

I almost wonder if the converter did something to it
    or if it's just weird timing

She's only been there a week.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Try something like a Skype video call through your phones, over wifi. Have them point the camera at the system. Probably have to get them to take the bottom cover off though, which might push this idea into the realm of "Not A Chance."

In the meantime, ask her not to turn it on anymore until the problem can be properly diagnosed and fixed (if possible.) That might risk doing even worse damage to it.

8. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

She will be back home tomorrow, so I'll take a look inside and report back. Thank you, friends. :)