Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Ontario
Hello everyone,

I am looking to seriously replace my lap toaster 16 inch 2019 MacBook Pro model over to the new M1 Max laptop.
Still deciding between the 14 inch or 16 inch size - I had a 13 inch MacBook Pro before and did like the portability of it.

My question is how do we manage the transition over to the new computer if doing the trade-in route?

My laptop is my work machine and I can't really be without it longer than two days or so. I want to use my machine as a trade-in towards the new one. My configuration will be custom as going to the M1 Max with the 24 GPU count version.

Do I do the complete backup of machine and then take it in the store etc.
Also last question I have two user accounts on my computer to split work and personal accounts. If I do the backup from my primary account, the secondary work account will be preserved in the backup correct?

Thank you everyone for any responses!

Cheers,
cWo

beardev

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2020
If you choose the trade in option when ordering online, you'll be sent your new laptop and a box to ship back the one you're using. If you don't choose that option or get one in store, you can initiate the trade in by just bringing your old laptop to any apple store. Either way, you'll have the entire two week return period of the device to complete the trade in. You'd have two weeks to essentially use your old device to setup the new one in whatever way you'd like before trading in.

As for the accounts, if you use Migration Assistant to setup the new device, it will prompt you to select which user accounts you want to transfer. I'm not sure about backups.

Reactions: Vinceh99

cwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Ontario
Thanks for the explanation and appreciate it!

It's my 1st time in doing a trade-in process for a Mac so wasn't aware of the 2 week window.

I'll see if I can get deeper details on migration assistant for 2 user accounts. As the laptop is an Intel laptop, any programs that aren't M1 compatible will just be left off?

Cheers,cWo

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Hello everyone,

I am looking to seriously replace my lap toaster 16 inch 2019 MacBook Pro model over to the new M1 Max laptop.
Still deciding between the 14 inch or 16 inch size - I had a 13 inch MacBook Pro before and did like the portability of it.

My question is how do we manage the transition over to the new computer if doing the trade-in route?

My laptop is my work machine and I can't really be without it longer than two days or so. I want to use my machine as a trade-in towards the new one. My configuration will be custom as going to the M1 Max with the 24 GPU count version.

Do I do the complete backup of machine and then take it in the store etc.
Also last question I have two user accounts on my computer to split work and personal accounts. If I do the backup from my primary account, the secondary work account will be preserved in the backup correct?

Thank you everyone for any responses!

Cheers,
cWo
What I did with my MacBook Proster (Pro+toaster) was create a time machine backup on an external ssd, then traded it in, restored my Mac via backup on Time Machine. Basically transferee everything to my new Mac that it feels like the old one, but muuuuuuch faster. I’m in love with my MacBook Pro!

Reactions: cwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.