Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
At this point you’ve seen or read lots of reviews and rather than do the exact same review everyone else is doing (95% of them are all doing the same benchmarks and tests) I wanted to add my thoughts into the mix. Who am I? I’m a computer technician who is also a professional photographer/videographer. I can build myself any windows desktop computer that I want but since 2016 I've chosen to use a Mac for both personal and business. I had a fully loaded 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch model (2.9GHz/16GB/2TB/460 4GB) and I just recently upgraded to a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16GB/1TB.

The Body: I'm really not sure why Apple decided to make this laptop physically bigger in every way especially when the new CPUs run so cool and are so energy efficient it really seems like a step backwards. I’m confident the cooler in the previous 16” model would have been more than enough to cool the M1 cpus. I believe Apple wanted to future proof the design so if the M2 or M3 chips run hotter the larger body/cooler can accommodate them without the crazy throttling we saw with the Intel chips. I really loved the previous design both aesthetically and I miss the Touch Bar, yes I said it I missed the Touch Bar. Being a professional videographer and photographer I haven't used an SD card in 2 1/2 years now. Why Apple would put a SD card slot and not a CF Express slot in Pro product is ridiculous. At least give us both, the huge case can surely accommodate it. It just seems odd to me, and then they add a HDMI port? Really? I’ve been using a USBC to HDMI cable for years and I love it. I wish they gave us 4 thunderbolt ports like before. The track pad and keyboard are both amazing. The keyboard is definitely the major upgrade here, except I don’t like the black background at all. I've gotten used to it but I prefer the previous design because the contrast made the key separation excellent. Touch ID works amazing and feels faster than before.

Sound: It’s the best sound system I’ve ever heard in a laptop, period. I think it sounds better than most cheap speakers. The bass is fantastic along with the sound stage. They sound better than my 2016 model by a big margin. I also compared it to the built in speakers in my Samsung TV and they sound equally as good. Basically you can fill a room with sound and there’s not distortion at full volume. I wonder how it compares to a single home pod mini.

Display: The catch 22 of the entire product. The screen is excellent in every way except the lag times are beyond awful. Fortunately is doesn’t affect me all that much so I can live with it, but I can’t believe my 2016 model is better in this regard. I don’t mind the notch because so far it hasn’t gotten in the way of any of my professional or personal work. I don’t even notice it, unless I look for it. Compared to my 2016 model the screen is super bright and I have to use a lower brightness on Apple’s scale so I can edit my images the way others will see them. I don’t notice a difference with promotion compared to my 2016 model. As of now it’s just marketing, compared to my iPhone 13 Pro I could tell the difference the second I used it. I hope Apple can work some software magic and fix the display lag.

CPU/GPU/SSD: What can add that hasn’t already been said? This is the fastest, coldest, computer I ever used. My 2016 model run loud and hot in final cut pro, add a few advanced edits and the program wasn’t usable. It was sooo slow. It actually made me not want to shoot 4K video because I dreaded having it edit it. Now it’s super fast and I haven’t had any slow downs or issues. I’m looking forward to shoot a major project in Jan to see how it handles it. Photoshop run likes a dream, instant response. Before it would pause a lot, and I would have to wait for it to complete tasks, now its done before I can even react to the next thing. Adobe bridge runs great, except it’s a battery hog. I suspect because it’s running rosetta 2, rather than a native M1 code. Even web browsing feels completely different than my 2016 machine, At least twice as fast except the scrolling was smoother and less choppy on my older machine due to the display lag. The SSD is obviously super fast and matches the fastest windows desktop and you can feel it. I’ve never heard the fans once since I bought it in November. If I got close to my 2016 model I could hear the coil whine and at times in a quiet room it was really annoying. This laptop has no electrical noise (coil whine) which is really nice. I suspect Apple upgraded the motherboards to fix this or since the new laptop uses such little energy it’s so faint the human ear can’t hear it.

Battery: Battery life is excellent but you can’t use final cut, or adobe bridge for more than 4-5 hours max. I don’t want people to think you’ll get 21 hours of heavy use. Programs that use both the CPU and GPU really can drain it fast. I don’t remember exactly how many hours 2016 lasted when it was new under the same conditions because it’s been so long and the battery in my 2016 model was dying. I believe it was around 2-2.5 hours on heavy final cut editing or bridge use. When not using the laptop under full load it can last days, especially if you lower the brightness. Turning on low power mode adds even additional time and you can’t feel the difference in simple tasks. The 16” model is the way to go if you want the best battery life paired with a M1 Pro chip. It’s been 1 hour since I unplugged it at 75% charge and it’s still at 75%. This is while writing this review and playing apple music. WOW.

Defects/Issues: I have none here to report which is good news. Apple fixed the charging with the lid close while the unit is off issue. When I got it, it looked like it was scratched out of the box in multiple areas and I almost panicked. Fortunately they weren’t scratches and came out with some clean screen solution and a microfiber cloth. I think the hard packaging and that film leave marks from shipping. They come right out, so before you return it, try to clean them off. You can use alcohol if you don’t have clean screen solution. No memory leak or display discoloration issues.

No product is perfect but overall I love the laptop and I’m glad I traded in me old model rather than replacing the battery. I’m not one of those people who gives something a skewed review because I own it and think it’s the best thing ever made. But right now when it comes to laptops I believe this is the best one of the market period. The only major grip for me is the display lag that I hope Apple can use the magic of software to make it better.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Personally, I love the new look and feel of the 16". And, I'm pleased Apple have taken it this way. Rather this, than that flimsy, hollow and fragile feeling the 2016-2019 chassis had. These feel at least solid, and built to last.

Aside from that yeah right...
I think this model feel more hollow than the previous one, but I don’t walk around tapping my laptop so it didn’t matter to me. The metal on this one definitely feels different.

Reactions: julesme

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
At this point you’ve seen or read lots of reviews and rather than do the exact same review everyone else is doing (95% of them are all doing the same benchmarks and tests) I wanted to add my thoughts into the mix. Who am I? I’m a computer technician who is also a professional photographer/videographer. I can build myself any windows desktop computer that I want but since 2016 I've chosen to use a Mac for both personal and business. I had a fully loaded 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch model (2.9GHz/16GB/2TB/460 4GB) and I just recently upgraded to a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16GB/1TB.

The Body: I'm really not sure why Apple decided to make this laptop physically bigger in every way especially when the new CPUs run so cool and are so energy efficient it really seems like a step backwards. I’m confident the cooler in the previous 16” model would have been more than enough to cool the M1 cpus. I believe Apple wanted to future proof the design so if the M2 or M3 chips run hotter the larger body/cooler can accommodate them without the crazy throttling we saw with the Intel chips. I really loved the previous design both aesthetically and I miss the Touch Bar, yes I said it I missed the Touch Bar. Being a professional videographer and photographer I haven't used an SD card in 2 1/2 years now. Why Apple would put a SD card slot and not a CF Express slot in Pro product is ridiculous. At least give us both, the huge case can surely accommodate it. It just seems odd to me, and then they add a HDMI port? Really? I’ve been using a USBC to HDMI cable for years and I love it. I wish they gave us 4 thunderbolt ports like before. The track pad and keyboard are both amazing. The keyboard is definitely the major upgrade here, except I don’t like the black background at all. I've gotten used to it but I prefer the previous design because the contrast made the key separation excellent. Touch ID works amazing and feels faster than before.

Sound: It’s the best sound system I’ve ever heard in a laptop, period. I think it sounds better than most cheap speakers. The bass is fantastic along with the sound stage. They sound better than my 2016 model by a big margin. I also compared it to the built in speakers in my Samsung TV and they sound equally as good. Basically you can fill a room with sound and there’s not distortion at full volume. I wonder how it compares to a single home pod mini.

Display: The catch 22 of the entire product. The screen is excellent in every way except the lag times are beyond awful. Fortunately is doesn’t affect me all that much so I can live with it, but I can’t believe my 2016 model is better in this regard. I don’t mind the notch because so far it hasn’t gotten in the way of any of my professional or personal work. I don’t even notice it, unless I look for it. Compared to my 2016 model the screen is super bright and I have to use a lower brightness on Apple’s scale so I can edit my images the way others will see them. I don’t notice a difference with promotion compared to my 2016 model. As of now it’s just marketing, compared to my iPhone 13 Pro I could tell the difference the second I used it. I hope Apple can work some software magic and fix the display lag.

CPU/GPU/SSD: What can add that hasn’t already been said? This is the fastest, coldest, computer I ever used. My 2016 model run loud and hot in final cut pro, add a few advanced edits and the program wasn’t usable. It was sooo slow. It actually made me not want to shoot 4K video because I dreaded having it edit it. Now it’s super fast and I haven’t had any slow downs or issues. I’m looking forward to shoot a major project in Jan to see how it handles it. Photoshop run likes a dream, instant response. Before it would pause a lot, and I would have to wait for it to complete tasks, now its done before I can even react to the next thing. Adobe bridge runs great, except it’s a battery hog. I suspect because it’s running rosetta 2, rather than a native M1 code. Even web browsing feels completely different than my 2016 machine, At least twice as fast except the scrolling was smoother and less choppy on my older machine due to the display lag. The SSD is obviously super fast and matches the fastest windows desktop and you can feel it. I’ve never heard the fans once since I bought it in November. If I got close to my 2016 model I could hear the coil whine and at times in a quiet room it was really annoying. This laptop has no electrical noise (coil whine) which is really nice. I suspect Apple upgraded the motherboards to fix this or since the new laptop uses such little energy it’s so faint the human ear can’t hear it.

Battery: Battery life is excellent but you can’t use final cut, or adobe bridge for more than 4-5 hours max. I don’t want people to think you’ll get 21 hours of heavy use. Programs that use both the CPU and GPU really can drain it fast. I don’t remember exactly how many hours 2016 lasted when it was new under the same conditions because it’s been so long and the battery in my 2016 model was dying. I believe it was around 2-2.5 hours on heavy final cut editing or bridge use. When not using the laptop under full load it can last days, especially if you lower the brightness. Turning on low power mode adds even additional time and you can’t feel the difference in simple tasks. The 16” model is the way to go if you want the best battery life paired with a M1 Pro chip. It’s been 1 hour since I unplugged it at 75% charge and it’s still at 75%. This is while writing this review and playing apple music. WOW.

Defects/Issues: I have none here to report which is good news. Apple fixed the charging with the lid close while the unit is off issue. When I got it, it looked like it was scratched out of the box in multiple areas and I almost panicked. Fortunately they weren’t scratches and came out with some clean screen solution and a microfiber cloth. I think the hard packaging and that film leave marks from shipping. They come right out, so before you return it, try to clean them off. You can use alcohol if you don’t have clean screen solution. No memory leak or display discoloration issues.

No product is perfect but overall I love the laptop and I’m glad I traded in me old model rather than replacing the battery. I’m not one of those people who gives something a skewed review because I own it and think it’s the best thing ever made. But right now when it comes to laptops I believe this is the best one of the market period. The only major grip for me is the display lag that I hope Apple can use the magic of software to make it better.
no summary? :)

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I am not a big computer fan but this one, I love. I have no complaints rally about it! Powerful, amazing screen, large screen, what else could I want ( just have the base 16)... got $400 off so even better!
I just love that when I take it to a coffee shop its actually large enough to get meaningful work done on it, without being too difficult to transport!

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
I picked this version up a month again and as much as I love the design and feel of it, I’m returning it and getting the smaller one with 32GB of ram. Running photoshop and lightroom at the same time is using up most of my memory and slowing it down in the process.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
I picked this version up a month again and as much as I love the design and feel of it, I’m returning it and getting the smaller one with 32GB of ram. Running photoshop and lightroom at the same time is using up most of my memory and slowing it down in the process.
Why are you running both at the same time? I’m just curious

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
So I use lightroom to batch edit and manage all my shots from a wedding shoot for example. Some of them need extra attention like the couple shots so I edit those in photoshop. The apps sort of work together. I’ve lowered the performance setting in photoshop to use only 10% of the ram but it’s still slowing down performance.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
So I use lightroom to batch edit and manage all my shots from a wedding shoot for example. Some of them need extra attention like the couple shots so I edit those in photoshop. The apps sort of work together. I’ve lowered the performance setting in photoshop to use only 10% of the ram but it’s still slowing down performance.
How does it compare to your previous Mac or setup?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
The 14” you ended up with?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Yup, my experience too, using LR with PS. I have 14" MBP with 16GB RAM, and if I were to do it again I would get 32GB RAM. Adobe sucks up a lot of the RAM for GPU acceleration in LR and PS, leaving insufficient for the actual processing by CPU. This doesn't happen on Intel machines, as there is separate VRAM for the GPU. 16GB RAM is barely OK for LR+PS workflows on Apple Silicon.

Last edited:

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
I am looking forward to mine, but I wanted to chime and agree with your complaint of no CFexpress slot next to the SD slot. Maybe Apple needs to hirer more people with Nikon cameras. I do lots of presentations and like the built in HDMI port (my HDMI dongle malfunctioned at one presentation so I like not having that weak link)

Reactions: calstanford

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The Body:

Sound:

Display:

CPU/GPU/SSD:

Battery:

Defects/Issues:
16" 32R 32C Max here...

The Body: I also prefer the older design like the OP. Like OP wrote, they probably have done this for future instalments along with those who really push the machine for video rendering etc. I also personally don't care for the SD or HDMI slots. But I get why they are there. It's very sturdy and well built. Quite utilitarian. I love the new keyboard and the black background actually looks great IMO. Overall: 7.5/10

Sound: Bloody stonking! Incredible sound on the 16" kits. I was blown away at how incredible they sound. So much so that I sold my Pye 3 in 1 stereo. 10/10

Display: The refresh rate hasn't hindered my use of the machine for what I do so I'm none the wiser as to what is happening. The display does look fantastic overall. The notch hasn't caused me grief one single time. I never even notice it unlike my iPhone where it is constantly getting in the way. 9/10.

CPU/GPU/SSD: CPU is fine. GPU is very, very good (32CMax). I still get the occasional beach ball and a very slight bit of lag with huge files, but I'm guessing that's more to do with the program and not the GPU. Compared to my previous 2013 15" and M1 Air, this thing is so much smoother while editing graphically intensive files. SSD: Seems super quick to me. 9/10.

Battery: 32c Max. Ain't the best when it comes to battery. Downright average in fact. I was spoilt by the M1 Air. That thing lasted for days. 5/10.

PROs: Sound. Screen - size and quality. Cool and quiet. Fast.
Cons: Bulky. Heavy. Battery life.

It's complicated for me. I do need a somewhat powerful machine and 100% need as big a screen as possible. BUT I'd also love something thinner, lighter and with longer battery. I'm sure that compromise will come in the future. As it stands, it's a great piece of kit.

Reactions: roman.stapunov

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
How does it compare to your previous Mac or setup?
My previous setup was an 2015 5k iMac with 32GB ram. It had enough ram but doing things like surface blur or even exporting from lightroom would take forever (if it wasn’t beachballing) the MacBook Pro did those tasks in seconds which was great but it doesn’t leave any room to run anything else before you start hitting that 16gb ram limit.

I’m returning it in store tomorrow and ordering the 14in M1 max 32GB version for £400 more. Hopefully that’ll be suitable in terms of usage and size. 16in for me is just a little too big to be portable

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Nice review OP. I also prefer the body of the previous model. The 16" is just too large in my opinion and prior to this model the 16" models were all I used. It just felt awkwardly big to me. I also prefer the keyboard design of the previous model with the body color in between the keys. The all black design is off putting to me. It would look spectacular on an all black MacBook Pro, but on the silver and space gray it doesn't look as good. Its not bad, I just prefer the older ones. I, too, really liked the TouchBar.

Outside of those physical aspects I love everything about the new models. The only MacBook Pro I would compare it to is the 2019 with the 5600M Graphics. Its easily the best models that Apple made of that design and the 5600M made it run the way that MBP should have ran with all the designs. I still have mine (haven't sold it yet) and it runs cool, is quiet, and is blazingly fast for everything I do. The only place where I see a noticeable difference than the 2021 models is the battery life. I get awesome battery life on the 2019 MBP but the 2021 model battery life is incredible.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Nice review OP. I also prefer the body of the previous model. The 16" is just too large in my opinion and prior to this model the 16" models were all I used. It just felt awkwardly big to me. I also prefer the keyboard design of the previous model with the body color in between the keys. The all black design is off putting to me. It would look spectacular on an all black MacBook Pro, but on the silver and space gray it doesn't look as good. Its not bad, I just prefer the older ones. I, too, really liked the TouchBar.

Outside of those physical aspects I love everything about the new models. The only MacBook Pro I would compare it to is the 2019 with the 5600M Graphics. Its easily the best models that Apple made of that design and the 5600M made it run the way that MBP should have ran with all the designs. I still have mine (haven't sold it yet) and it runs cool, is quiet, and is blazingly fast for everything I do. The only place where I see a noticeable difference than the 2021 models is the battery life. I get awesome battery life on the 2019 MBP but the 2021 model battery life is incredible.
Nice, I would hold on to yours a little longer. Perhaps until the M2 Pro. You have a very good video card in yours. My 460 in comparison was crap lol

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
The 14” you ended up with?
I did! Just got it today. 14in M1 max 10/24 cores with 32GB ram. It’s spectacularly good. Runs everything I use without breaking a sweat and the size is a lot more manageable because I use it on my desk with a 32inch monitor, on the couch and tomorrow I’ll be taking it to work without worrying about my back. Only thing I miss is that larger screen. You definitely notice the difference in size but it fades away after a while.

sb in ak

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Homer, Alaska
First impressions with a 16" M1 Pro 16GB/1TB coming from a late 2013 15" MBP. Main use is Lightroom/Photoshop and everyday web browsing, etc.....

Body is a tossup. I liked the old ones but the new is fine, too. No real difference in portability compared to my 2013 even though its slightly larger. It's still smaller than my old 15" TiBook, which I kinda set the benchmark for me for laptop portability. Which, speaking of the TiBook, as mentioned elsewhere, this body does have some similarities. I've already used the HDMI and SD ports in the first day, so glad to see their return. SD slot seems a little slow but it still beats carrying a dongle when traveling. Keyboard doesn't feel quite as good as my old MBP but not bad. I never had a touch bar in my old machine, so can't say I miss it. Speakers sound decent but didn't really blow me away vs. the old machine. Also, kinda sad to see the illuminated apple logo on the back disappear.

Screen: so far so good. Notch is a little annoying but goes away with a dark background. I'll get used to it. Sharper and smoother than my old machine. My old machine's resolution was good enough, but the ability to set this screen into photography preset is a nice touch.

Performance: Lightroom runs much faster on the new machine, so that's a win. Cuts through 45MP raw files no problem. Kicking Photoshop on kicked memory pressure in the red. Didn't notice any slowdown in Lightroom but haven't used PS/LR enough to see if this actually an issue. I don't care if it's running in the red as long as it doesn't turn into a complete slug. I really don't use Photoshop that much, so worse case scenario is I'd close LR if I need PS for something more intense. It's not a money maker for me so I think I'll be happy to save the $400 to 32GB ram. Another note here is that the machine barely gets hot running LR. Old machine the fans would be running full bore. No more hot lap.

Overall, a nice upgrade I think that should last me another 5+ years. I'm most impressed with just how quiet and cool this thing runs next to my old machine. I've always wondered if my old machine's random crashes have to do with overheating, which clearly won't be an issue here. The 2021 MBP doesn't feel revolutionary, but a nice move forward while better compromising function with form.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miltz

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
For those wondering, I finally got a HomePod mini and after comparing it the speakers in the MBP16 I've found the HomePod mini does sound better, but it's not drastic. The main difference is it has more bass and goes louder. The laptop still has excellent stereo sound which the mini doesn't (unless you get two them). I would easily say in you have a small room the MBP16 is enough to fill the room with amazing sound. I actually love watching movies on it, as it sounds very 3D like.

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
This thread was very informative for me. I've watched so many of those reviews and benchmarks but they didn't help me decide which model would be best for me. I was leaning towards 32gb RAM and mostly this thread confirms it. I'm a LR & PS user along with plugins and other graphics software. Currently I use a 2020 iMac, 8 core, 64gb RAM and it runs without hiccups. So, I'm hoping with the new architecture 32GB would be enough RAM. So, I hope other PS/LR users will share their experiences also.

My local apple store has the base 16/16/1tb in the store, so it is a little tempting to try out, tho I think I will hold out for a more upgraded one.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
This thread was very informative for me. I've watched so many of those reviews and benchmarks but they didn't help me decide which model would be best for me. I was leaning towards 32gb RAM and mostly this thread confirms it. I'm a LR & PS user along with plugins and other graphics software. Currently I use a 2020 iMac, 8 core, 64gb RAM and it runs without hiccups. So, I'm hoping with the new architecture 32GB would be enough RAM. So, I hope other PS/LR users will share their experiences also.

My local apple store has the base 16/16/1tb in the store, so it is a little tempting to try out, tho I think I will hold out for a more upgraded one
Here's what I've learned so far using my Mac for LR and PS

If you use an external monitor then the process 'windowserver' can use up a lot of ram. Especially if you use the apps in full screen mode.
I changed the settings in the performance tab in PS so that it only had 12% of the available ram to use. It still used about 7gb at a time. Add to that the average 7gb that LR uses (even with gpu turned off) and you're gonna start using swap memory. That's not so bad because the machine still runs smoothly. My contention was that for such a powerful machine, it would be nice not to have to dumb down all the settings and still use swap memory.

32GB for LR and PS combined, I think, is the absolute bare minimum. Some things you can do to make the most of it is use Lightroom in windowed mode if you're using an external monitor. If you have a lot of unused presets then get rid of them. This alone honestly makes a huge difference to Ram usage. Turn 'use graphics processor' to off unless you're working on panoramas etc. its not needed and reduces the ram usage quite a bit. n Photoshop the default amount of ram available to the app is ok but consider lowering it a bit to 50%. it doesn't make too much difference to what you're seeing but helps with the memory

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area

My local apple store has the base 16/16/1tb in the store, so it is a little tempting to try out, tho I think I will hold out for a more upgraded one.
My experience is that PS+LR use substantially more memory on Apple Silicon than on Intel, doing the exact same tasks.
I suggest not get less than 32GB for PS+LR.
I also suggest take out 32GB from your 2020 iMac and see if it works OK for you. If it does, then 32GB on Apple Silicon will likely be fine. If not, then I would seriously consider 64GB on Apple Silicon. Be wary of having less RAM on Apple Silicon than you need (not have) on Intel for PS+LR.

sb in ak

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
Homer, Alaska
I am not sure I agree with the blanket statements that 32GB is the minimum to run LR + PS at the same time. I think it really boils down to what you are doing. For some--especially those who make their living doing photography that requires large edits--32GB+ might be a great idea. For kicks, I just opened three 600MB panorama files from LR into PS at the same time with my 16GB machine and while things were slightly more sluggish doing some basic tasks in PS, totally usable. Still a dream compared to my 2013 MBP. For me, I'll take the $400 savings for now and simply close Lightroom to free up RAM if it's ever an issue.

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.