MacBook Pro 17" died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justabrake, Apr 20, 2015.

1. justabrake macrumors member

hi-my MacBook Pro 17" only shows a stripped screen Blue and White and a red progress bar ! Usually it's a black progress bar when starting up !

Can someone say what went on this ?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

3. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Did you even read the info in the link?

My guess is that you did not if you just answered this.

Click on it, and read all of it.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

That's no problem.

6. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

Is this still covered if it's the video card ?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes.

That's exactly what the "recall" is about.

You still haven't read the link, have you?

8. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

WOW ! Thank You !

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have nothing to do with the extended warranty program, but you're welcome.

10. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

One more question , I upgraded the SSD and Ram when I bought it does it make a difference when I bring it in ?

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

They are deemed user replaceable parts on the non-retina MBP, it should not be a problem.

If you still have them, you can always pop the old stuff back in.

12. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

I read it But didn't think after all these years they would still honor it !

Thanks

13. justabrake, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

justabrake thread starter macrumors member

Is it better to bring it a case or original box Do they hold your case for you or just want the MacBook and power supply ?

Thanks in Advance

I'm on crutches that's why I asked !

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You only need the MacBook Pro.

15. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Basically, you didn't read it. This is in effect until next February.

16. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

OK so maybe I was jumping the gun on this When your only computer goes it's hard to think and only looking for a solution

Do you know what the turnaround on them getting it back to me ?

I only now have an iPad and iPhone LOL :(

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I had mine fixed in a day under this programme.
    It's rather difficult to say how long it will be for you. I've seen most people quote 5-7 days on here.

18. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They will quote you how long when you book it in. It depends on:

- Staffing levels
    - How busy they are
    - How quickly the part is available
    - Whether there are any complications during the repair

19. justabrake thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't have thought that was possible what happened to you, Mine is mint and I'm going to take pictures of it before tuning it over You got a nice deal thought ! How do you feel looking at a 15" screen compare ? I'm thinking this is 4 years old and maybe I should go for MGXA2LL 15" My only problem is I watch a lot of movies and YouTube
    Thanks for sharing that it makes me feel to take caution going in to apple !
    4:am and typing from my iPhone !

20. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

The 15" rMBP is awesome but the 1440 x 900 effective resolution is definitely not the same as the 1920x1200 that the 17" had (at least I think that was the res). It doesn't have a DVD drive or an onboard NIC, both of which I need for work so I had to buy those externally. I never needed an external monitor at my desk with the 17" machine but I have come to the realization that I do now with this machine.

21. JTToft macrumors 68040

- So then increase it. It supports up to 1920x1200 by default in System Preferences.

22. Idefix, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

Idefix macrumors 6502

Chances are you're not going to get your original 17" MBP back. You're going to get a refurb. Although at this point, you might get nikhsub1's 17" back???

So you'd better pull your SSD out, and put the original SSD back in.

On my 2008 15" MBP with the video issue, Apple originally promised a free motherboard (this was years ago) but I received a $900 estimate the very next day, because I had 3rd party RAM and an HD that was supposedly failing (both of which are still working fine--it's my backup laptop.)

After a lengthy discussion with 2nd or 3rd tier support, asking Apple to justify going from free to $900, I asked them to send it back to me, and that I would put the original RAM and HD back in, and turn it around and send it right back to them, to qualify for the original free motherboard.

Whatever you do, remember to be unfailingly polite and even-tempered. You'll get better results--but you really have to be totally persistent.

Edit: what I'm saying is that Apple will do everything in their power to deny the repair, so you'd better take pictures of the screen, take it to the genius bar to get documentation, keep records of the people you've talked to, what you've been promised, the whole shish kebab.

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

But that isn't the native resolution - I hate running at anything else...

He can keep his SSD and RAM in there... they won't confiscate it, he will either get it back in the machine like he sent it out (this would suggest they fixed his instead of swapping for a refurb), or he will get them back not in the machine. If the machine comes back without his SSD and RAM in it and on the side, this would suggest that he got a refurb machine like I did and not the same machine he sent in. The only piece of the computer that has the serial number printed on it is the bottom panel that is removed to get into the guts of the machine. This part will be put on whatever machine he gets back, refurb or original.