macbook pro 17" keeps freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Feb 26, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

my macbook pro keeps freezing.
    it's unibody. the first generation unibody.
    i've already had the logic board replaced on this once.
    any idea what could be causing this?

the mouse and everything just goes non-responsive.
    i close the laptop and put it into sleep mode and than open it back up and it works a little big, seems really spazzy. as if all the commands i did while it was frozen all happen at once.
    the screen went black one time. (brightness went all the way down.)

not sure what's going on, this isn't the first time it's happened either.

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If the logic board has already been replaced, then there are connection problems somewhere else causing the problem.

Ask Apple to completely trash this laptop and get a new one.

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

well, last time they replaced the logic board but it wasn't for this reason.
    it was for a couple of different reasons.

the sound kept going out and wouldn't come back until i restarted the machine,
    and any usb connection that i plugged into it would only stay connected for about 10 minutes or so and then just act as if nothing was connected.
    those problems seem to be fixed,
    but now there's this.
    which is kindof annoying.

isn't the rule 3 repairs and then a replacement?
    i'm not really one to complain, but these issues shouldn't exist.
    i'm not out for a new computer (though it would be nice, i guess.)
    i just want these problems to be gone, and not have to keep going back to apple to have them fixed.

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If you're having problems, defiantly have Apple repair it for you, and eventually get a replacement if need be.

Is there any software or hardware you're using that could cause this? What about your working environment?

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

the only thing i really use this laptop for is to record music on.
    never really leaves my room, and it's not on the majority of the day.
    i mean, to put perspective on abuse, i guess.
    i'm super gentle with it when i use it, and i don't use it unless i'm recording music. it's not a primary computer.

the only programs i ever really have up is garage band, and sometimes text/edit.
    i don't think those would cause this problem, or at least i hope not.
    but this has happened on multiple occasions, and even when garage band isn't open.

i just don't want to keep having to bring it back to apple since it takes them about 4-7+ days to repair depending on how busy they are. (at least a logic board replacement)
    not that it's super vital and where i can't be without my laptop for the time.
    but i still use it a lot, and it's still four drives (about a 40 minute drive each way) and just a hastle. i just don't think that there should be problems like this when i pay 3,000+ for a laptop.

6. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I totally agree with you that problems like this shouldn't be occurring, much less reoccurring.

I also know it's difficult waiting for Apple to repair their products. If you don't want to drive, could you ship it? Maybe one more repair would fix the problem for good.

7. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i could ship it, but again. i'd rather not be without my laptop for that long, and shipping would just make it longer.
    i mean, it's still important to me to have my laptop, even though i don't use it at a college or anything like that.
    and it always seems that the best times to bring it into apple is also the worst time because of events. i like having other people in my music and sometimes are people i see very seldom, so when i do see them i'd like to be able to get things done opposed to oh my laptop is at apple getting fixed. again.

i mean, i love apple and i'm a pretty loyal customer but they've been letting me down lately.
    my ipod touch is acting up too, and they pronounced it defective.
    my ipod video's harddrive failed and broke on me too, out of warranty though.
    i don't blame them for the ipod video, that has lasted a pretty long while. 4 years.
    but this mbp and ipod touch situation is un-excusable.
    they are being good sports about helping me get it fixed, (they even offered 20% off of a brand new ipod if i recycled my broken ipod video.)
    not that that offer only applys to me anyway, and it's not that much money. but it's better than nothing, but anyway. but the problems just shouldn't be there in the first place to have to be fixed.
    i'm not really a picky person, and i don't really complain a lot. but i don't want to have to take time and gas money of my own to have these things resolved. twice.

8. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

just in case you were wondering,
    apple decided to just replace the logic board. (again.)

hopefully this will end all the problems.