macbook pro 17" with sd slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Aug 27, 2009.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

this probably has gotten asked like 1123 times, but do you guys think apple will release the sd in the 17" any time soon?
    why did they add it to the 13 and 15 but not the 17?

:confused:

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Perhaps they are keeping the Express Card slot due to feedback from professionals. Since the 17' is truely a "Pro" model, they probably figured they would keep the flexibility of the EC slot.

3. yargk macrumors member

I'm very happy my future mbp17 will have an EC slot and not an SD slot.

4. spike8585 macrumors member

I just bought a 17" MBP yesterday, and at first I was thinking it was a shame that it lacked SD slot. I rarely use SD to transfer, other than photos, but I can just use USB through my camera. Then I saw what I can put in the expresscard slot. I hate the stuff that sticks out, cause it looks ugly, and you cant just leave it in there.

Here's a slim eSata card that does NOT stick out:
    http://www.startech.com/item/ECESAT...TA-Controller-Card-with-Port-Multipliers.aspx

And an 12-in-1 memory Card slot, also does not stick out:
    http://www.startech.com/item/ECREAD-ExpressCard-12-in-1-Multi-Media-Memory-Card.aspx

5. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

You can always add a universal card EC reader if you want your 17 to read SD cards. Much more versitle then a single limited SD slot.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since you don't understand why you really want to have ExpressCard/34, I question your need for a 17" MacBook Pro in the first place.

7. spike8585 macrumors member

Why dont you tell us what you use your expresscard slot for?

The MacBook Pro 17" is far more than an expresscard slot. I understand that they left it there for professionals, but it doesnt mean that it is only for professionals. The higher resolution and large screen are amazing if you arent traveling with it often.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have to wonder why someone would spend so much money not understanding how the Express Slot is 100x more valuable than SD. Have to just guess a "consumer" with more money than... nevermind. Guess they just wanted the 17" display at all costs. I would take a 17" model too, and I don't need the power of a Pro but would like the higher resolution display and would use Express Slot for a 3G card - I hate the USB 3G cards now required by all other Mac notebooks. That was one of the best features for expandibility of the 15" MBPs before.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Dual eSATA ports, an SDHC reader, extra FireWire 400/800 ports... the list goes on.

For what do you use your SD card slot? SD cards? How original.

10. spike8585 macrumors member

I dont have an SD card slot, I have an expresscard slot. I just bought it last night, but I am definitely going to buy the slim esata port so i can have high speed transfers when I can find an X25-M 160gb in Canada.

11. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I literally hate apple for taking this out of the 15" Macbook Pro. I would have just bought the 15" and an External Monitor later down the line but now I don't know. I can't really afford the 17 inch to be honest.

12. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

you'd think they could just have both for the 17".
    why does having an SD Slot mean you can't have express card too?

13. spike8585 macrumors member

True enough. Its not like they couldn't fit it in anywhere...if they really tried.