macbook pro 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ant043, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ant043 macrumors regular

well guys

I sold my 15 inch unibody last week. I couldn't resist the 17 inch unibody anymore especially the battery life and screen resolution. Basicly i have one question. The glossy screen never bothered me too much on the 15 inch. I've used matte screens aswell with no problem. Is there much of a reduction in weight going for the matte screen option. I think i may have read somewhere on these forums that the weight of the 17 inch is reduced to 6 pounds instead of 6.6 pounds. Just wondering if removing the glass panel will improve the portability by much. Thanks for any help.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If there is a difference in weight, it won't be noticeable...

3. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I agree with the weight. What you will notice though is the footprint - although the 17 is actually not much wider then the 15. :)

4. magamo macrumors 6502

I heard the glossy one was a little more than 150g heavier. So the difference should be around 0.4 lbs.

5. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

The machine is basicly going to be a desktop machine cause i usually bring my macbook air. But it would be brought with me sometimes.

6. aleni macrumors 68000

i sold my custom UMBP 15" with 2.8ghz processor and bought this 17" beast because of the screen resolution.

about the weight, it's definitely not much. comparable to the UMBP 15".

the problem is my eyes can't seem to adapt to the screen resolution because everything seems a lot smaller. and it gives me eyes strain for a half hour of use. it's been 3 weeks and seems no improve. I have the glossy one.

7. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Unless your a complete weakling you should be fine. :]

I get around campus very well with my Uni 17" but I suggest getting a case. There has been a couple close calls when I am getting up from sitting down and turning while holding it lol I just barely hit the corner once but no damage was done.

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I was nervous about getting the 17inch because of the weight. Once i received it I was glad. It is not heavy at all .. the screen resolution is awesome .. I got the matte screen and so far my eyes don't seem to have a problem.

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

If you don't mind me asking how much did you get for yours? I have a 2.8 too and I'm also tempted to switch to a 2.93 17" for the resolution and battery life.

10. aleni macrumors 68000

make sure play with the 17" in the apple store for 20 minutes and lets see if u get strain on your eyes. i'm only 26 of age but having the annoying strain. it's really bugging me.

i'm in indonesia so apple hardware is more expensive.

bought the custom 2.8ghz 15" for $2633 and after 3 weeks sold it for $2083. it's burning my pocket!

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I spent about the same here in the USA. I didn't mind the high DPI on the screen, but I think I might be better of waiting for the Core i7 refresh this winter.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

LOL! I'm 55. I don't want to hear it. :D

Two words: reading glasses. I started to need them about 10 years ago (well, maybe a bit earlier...). But, many people use them at your age to reduce eye strain.

Seriously, though, I just bought the 17" UB MBP. I went from the MBP 2.33 17" (1650 x 1050), which was fine, and (with my reading glasses) I can handle the higher DPI. I also went from matte to glossy, and the extra "snap" helps text readability.

The best part: more real estate. Examples: MR Forum Spy up at the same time as I'm surfing elsewhere - without the desktop feeling cramped. PDF reading using Facing pages in Preview - much more useable. If you're a developer, you already know there's never enough space. In short, the hidef display is well worth it.

13. aleni macrumors 68000

@Brien: i think Corei7 is a desktop processor and will not be put into notebook. i have read it somewhere, but please correct any mistake.

@gr8tfly: LOL. i have tried reading glasses but it makes things even sharper and brighter and it makes my eyes worse. actually i have played with old MBP 17" with 1680 res and i can handle that, but not this 1900x1200! :(

introducing john carmack with his big ass old skul screen and his big ass car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

attsa verra nice car, but I can't quite read the make... :p

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious and/or you've been down this route already, but sometimes "reading glasses" are taken to mean drug-store variety. They can help, but aren't the same as prescription - especially if you have any kind of astigmatism (I tried that, when I first started needing them. It worked just ok, for a while, but now they're only good for an emergency (like I left my real glasses in the living room and I'm in the kitchen wondering how long the frozen lasagna is supposed to be cooked...).

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

why don't you just cmd + and make the fonts bigger?

16. aleni macrumors 68000

gr8tfly: actually i don't use the reading glasses. i have -1.25 on both of my eyes. but usually i never use that minus glasses when i use my desktop computer. i tried using it on the UMBP17" and it still give me strain.

@zer0tails: it's too big and ugly, kinda waste for the HD res i got. i need in the middle of that which is 1680x res just like the old 17" MBP.

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

no offence it being your $$ and all. But shouldn't being able to use your computer without your eyes hurting thus thereby enjoying using it more important than it being ugly because of slightly bigger fonts? :confused:

18. aleni macrumors 68000

well, i'm still trying to give it a few more days and hope that my eyes will adapt to the hi-res screen. because today the strain is not as much as i felt 3 weeks ago.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I honestly think that on 17 inh screens that for most people 1680 by 1050 is the most for text puroses you should go. And i have no idea how people can ue the WUXGA 15 inch laptops since the 17 inch text is small enough. Apple should really offer the option for the 1680 display because i see countless people running their displays on non native resolution because they can't read it on the higher settings.