macbook pro 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ant043, Oct 7, 2009.

?

Should i return 17 inch macbook pro ?

  1. yes

    12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. no

    35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. ant043 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #1
    Well Guys

    My 17 inch macbook pro unibody refurb is arriving tomorrow but i'm strongly thinking of returning it. There is alot of speculation that new intel chips are going to be added and i'd hate to miss a really significant update like that in a month or two months time. So i just wanted to ask what people think i should do. I have a macbook pro at the minute so i'm in no particular rush to buy anything. Should i return the refurb ? Do people think that that the core 2 duo chip will be replaced before christmas ? thanks
     
  2. shambo macrumors 6502a

    shambo

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #2
    yeah dude you ordered it but because you never did your research right or am even unhappy in any slightest way just return it to apple so that we can all foot your bill.

    ffs
     
  3. jaredwaynef macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2009
    #3
    Well first off, what are you using this laptop for in the first place?
    IMO I don't think everyone will benefit leaps and bounds over an update (if there even is one, a fact I don't find likely to happen until early 2010) in the CPU. Understandably, Quad-core sounds awesome in comparison to Dual Core, yet unless you're doing very intensive rendering (photoshop, Final Cut Pro HD Movies, etc.) I doubt the benefit will be great. Also, I don't think it's ever worth the plunge to be one of the first to buy a new chipset like the new Intel 4 cores. Chances are, as with most updates, there are going to be kinks and problems that they will need to work out in the first generation.
    However, seeing you bought a 17" my hope is that you really do need the extra space for CPU intensive programs (which don't include iTunes, Safari, Firefox, etc.).
    There are so many threads questioning whether there will be another update for the MBP before Xmas. Personally, I think they might update the processor speed a little, like they did in April (I think?). That's the only thing I see in the pre-2010 updates for MBP's though.
    So basically, decide:
    A.) Do you need it now?
    B.) Will you REALLY benefit greatly with a jump from 2 to 4 cores?
    C.) Is it worth the wait and money (considering there will be no refurbs of a new line)?

    Hope this helps! And hopefully my grammar is fine.
     
  4. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #4
    Thank you for that valid contribution. Its nice to be nice you know.
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    I don't think we'll see any update to the MBP line in 2009 and to that end. Keep the MBP you ordered. When apple does eventually update the MBP, you can always sell your 17" MBP.

    Apple has not updated its imac line for some time and so that being the case, I'd expect to see that get an update before the laptops do.

    Just my $.02

    Besides, do you want to be on the bleeding of a revision 1 laptop. Who knows what issues that could arise from using the Nahalem processors in the MBP. Let the dust settle and then make an informed decision.
     
  6. Spudracer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2009
    #6
    Like you I just ordered a new MBP 17. I upgraded the HDD to 7200 RPM and chose the anti-glare screen. However I stuck with the 2.8 GHz processor. From everything I've read, each new generation of processor or boost in clock speed produces only incremental gains of a few percent in real world tasks like photo or movie editing.

    Most of the time, you can see much more gain from spending money on the bottleneck of storage. A cheap upgrade to a faster HDD for now and an SSD when prices drop in a year or two will likely be the wiser choice.

    And the MacBook Pro 17 just went through a mid 2009 upgrade along with the recent move to the unibody case. I don't see Apple moving away from a very solid and elegant design quickly. They are already out in front of the industry with DDR3 RAM and a superior battery life. The 9600 graphics chip runs hot and I don't know if "bigger" would be better.

    For all those reasons, I figured this was as good a time as any and I'm not feeling any buyers remorse. Now if Apple were to drop prices by $500.........I'd be wallowing in self pity.
     
  7. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #7
    Does anyone have any idea when apple will implement usb 3.0 into their laptops ?
     
  8. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

    tofagerl

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #8
    Get the refurb, and if they announce the new computer tomorrow, you sell the refurb for 100 or 200 less than you paid, and get the new one if you think it's worth it.
     
  9. dquack macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    Fort Bragg, NC
    #9
    Don't chase the latest and greatest technology or else you will be broke quick. Something bigger and better is always out after you buy your baby, but just be happy with what you got. I have the 3.06 17" UMBP and am totally happy with it. No need to buy another new one for another 2-3 years.
     
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #10
    If you've already got a macbook pro that's working for you, I'm wondering why you would need a second machine in the first place. A mini-dv to dvi connector and a good external monitor would be a heck of a lot more cost effective than any second laptop.

    I'd cancel the order on the 2nd mbp and keep on truckin' with the one you've already got.
     
  11. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #11
    Of course not, they don't provide any information regarding future computer designs or details. Maybe it will be included along with the clarksfield/arrandale chipset, maybe it won't.

    Trying to figure out apple's plans is like nailing jello to a tree.
     
  12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
  13. SysAdmNj macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2009
    #13
    This reason right here, and the fact you mention usb 3.0 and faster processor is enough reason to wait. I'd return it imho. Other upgrades Apple should consider is the new bluetooth update or possibly light peak replacing all, and of course a blu-ray burner. I believe the new macbook pro might come out in the spring the latest. If you can hold off till then, do so. I know I am.
     
  14. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #14
    Keep it. You can wait forever for a new product. And, I don't think there have been any rumors regarding the MBP line-up; only rumor was for the plastic macbook.
     
  15. uberamd macrumors 68030

    uberamd

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #15
    Keep it, unless you do a lot of CPU intensive tasks. The current 17" line is rock solid.
     
  16. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    #16

    If they offer a return policy, what exactly do you think it is there for?

    Do you think it could be to cover consumers who think their purchase is not right for them?

    What bill, exactly, do you think you are footing?

    The return shipping Apple probably pays for, considering they pay shipping for all of their warranty work? The refurbished model he bought, which will eventually be resold to someone else if he returns it anyway?



    Back to the OP's question, depends how long you've had your current computer. If it's a significant upgrade for you, it might outweigh the likely 4 month + wait.

    My Powerbook G4 was a Revision D, and I bought it mere months before the Revision E was unveiled, and just a few months after that the new MacBook Pro's came out. That always drove me nuts, but that's the way it is with technology. It should give you many years of great use either way.
     
  17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #17
    Keep the one you ordered. For all we know there might not be a new one coming out in 2 months time! If it does come out later down the line and you REALLY want it you can always sell your 17"...
     
  18. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #18
    Thank you for all the replies. They are very much appreciated. I received the 17 inch antiglare model today but i just noticed that there is a slight gap between the screen and body when the macbook is closed. It's like the screen is very slightly bent. Just wondering if this is normal or a defect ? Thanks again.
     
  19. shambo macrumors 6502a

    shambo

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #19
    Just return it again and allow us all to foot the bill... again. :rolleyes:
     
  20. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

    tofagerl

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #20
    You're a bit like my 21 year old sister. Everything in the world always affects JUST HER in some way. It kind of gets on my nerve...
     
  21. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #21
    Yeah brilliant. pity it wasn't you footing the whole bill. Then i'd be be very happy.
     
  22. pprior macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #22
    There has been no news of significance in the last few days.

    Therefore you have nothing new to make you question your purchase now vs. the day you pressed the "complete order" button.

    As such, keep the dang thing and be happy. Current technology is working well, there will always be something newer, get over it.
     
  23. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

    Minimoose 360

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    NY
    #23
    I predict no update (ESPECIALLY to the 17") before next year...and I mean well into next year.
     
  24. shambo macrumors 6502a

    shambo

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #24
    Well that's strange because I did say "us all" and not 'me'. :rolleyes:
     
  25. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Location:
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    #25
    Not sure what you mean by gap other than the rubber gasket around the screen that gives it a dime size gap all the way around since you wouldn't want the screen touching the body. Hope that's what you are referring to.
     

Share This Page