Macbook Pro 2.4GHz or 2.66GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDaddy80, Jan 22, 2011.

1. MacDaddy80 macrumors member

Will i notice a difference? Money isn't an issue so thats fine. Also is the hard drive upgrade worth it?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You won't notice a difference and the hard drive upgrade is not worth it.
    If you know a bit about computers, you can buy yourself a hard drive (320GB for $45, 500GB for $55) and install it yourself. So for $45, you get a 320GB HDD and you get to keep the hard drive that comes with your computer (250GB). As you can see, Apple's upgrade is a rip off.
    You can find the hard drives on Newegg.
    If money is not an issue, consider 8GB of RAM and an SSD.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Whaaaat!?!?! I paid $70 for my 7200RPM 500GB :mad:

4. dizmonk macrumors regular

I tested both before I bought the 2.66... It is a very, very minor difference. You'll most likely notice when you're booting up and shutting down.

I went that way for two reasons... Can't upgrade the processor later and I added the 500GB hard drive. With my educational discount the diff wasn't that bad.

I know most people on this board say it's not worth it but I'm glad I did it.

5. Politis macrumors regular

You wont notice it

I recently bought a macbook pro 15 and looked into it. Should I go for 2.4 or 2.53. I think I was told that higher speed means less battery life for no noticeable change. So I went for the lower speed and saved some dosh.
    I use my pro mostly for wordprocessing, youtubing, internet, some pics.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

That sounds about right, so did I. 5400RPM is around $50.

7. chazco macrumors member

I also tested both before buying the 2.66GHz model. I found it offered considerably better performance for virtualisation. I doubt it has much impact on day-to-day use.

I also considered the fact the the processor can't be upgraded later. I'm hoping to keep this machine for some time - that 0.26GHz improvement could be important at some stage. I also got educational discount, a free printer and a free iPod which made it a better deal.

I'm also glad I went for the 2.66GHz model. :cool:

8. aCondor macrumors 6502

Like what has been said, most casual users will not notice a difference. If you plan on holding onto the laptop for 2+ years it could come in handy. It's not that expensive in the long run.

9. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answers guys. I ended up buying the 15 inch one

10. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

2.4Ghz is best. Then you can upgrade your HDD and RAM down the line. I did the same w/ my 2010 2.4Ghz 15inch MBP. I upgraded to 8GB and installed a 640GB Samsung 7200rpm HDD. The speed has increased and I didn't have to spend a boat load for those simple upgrades.