Macbook pro 2.53 v 2.8 ghz. Still can't find solid answer! sos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rudyrox, Feb 8, 2009.

1. rudyrox macrumors member

Im buying my macbook pro 15in 2.53ghz or 2.8 ghz processor. I wanted to know what people are getting for battery life on both speeds. some i hear the 2.8 only gets 4.5hours with EVERYTHING LOW/OFF. others 2.5hours so i just want some answers thanks guys!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What are your daily tasks on the Mac?

3. rudyrox thread starter macrumors member

ranges from student word processing and ppt....to intense gaming like flight simulator X with all seeting on high. i want a long battery but i want smooth performance.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For gaming, it'll last around 2 to 2.5 hours judging by the battery life you get when watching a movie. The MBPs only run for 5 hours when all you're doing is browsing Firefox over wifi, and changing webpages every 20 seconds.

5. rudyrox thread starter macrumors member

i guess i shouldn't complain....'only 5 hours' haha. i love it. but i just wanted to kno if the 2 processors gave different battery results since apple test the 2.4 ghzp rocessor at 5 hours

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then the 2.53 GHz CPU would do just fine. The extra 270 MHz won't help out much in the end (unless you are a video editor/encoder). Battery life will always be hit hard when playing games.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The MBP will also reach "5 Hours" if you're using the 2.4GHz model. That has a 25watt processor vs the 2.53 or 2.8GHz with a 35 watt processor.

8. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have found that the base model will get around four hours when using the "better battery life" option, everything turned down or off and only using Mail and Foxfire with no youtube or video viewing. I get about three hours when using the higher performance video card.

I would suggest going with the 2.53 machine since the 2.8 is a build to order option and you will experience delays if you have a problem and Apple decides to replace the machine. There are many stories posted on this forum regarding Apple's Quality Control and I thinks it's better to go with the 2.53 which are in stock at every Apple Store.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This type of answer doesn't help at all once it goes very case specific. Like this thread.

OP, take notice of the comment before mine. If you purchase a stock 2.53 GHz, in case something happens, Apple can easily repair and/or replace your MBP if need be, BTOs are very controversial due to their non standard nature.

11. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Boy you are one helpful individual :rolleyes:

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'd go stock 2.5 and spend the coin you save on a game or a night out

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Honestly, its really going to depend on what you are doing. Not only if its a CPU-intensive task, but also how frequently you are hitting the drive.

Best you can hope for is to devise a specific task and ask someone with each of those machines to see how long their battery lasts. Therefore it has to be something each person will have access to.

Personally I would take the 2.5 and spend the difference on a second battery.

14. packeteer macrumors member

imo don't get the higher spec cpu, it'll prob run too hot

spend the money on a faster drive, it will make more difference