Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I'll be buying 2 MBP's sometime after Christmas, for my wife & I.

I might be interested in a 13" version, if they came out with one, but I'd still need the optical drive and a regular hd. Otherwise, I'm getting the 15".

I'd like to see Penryn, 256mb vram standard, a magnetic latch and the macbook keyboard.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Also it would be cool to get a finger print reader. Tie that to keychain for the ultimate in password lazyness :D.

I think it would be awesome if they put a fingerprint reader on the Apple remote. And make the remote aluminum & with a small screen (similar to the nano 2nd gen) so that it matches the MBP. Different fingers could pull up different programs or frontrow apps and the screen would mean that you wouldn't have to squint at your computer from across the room. Just an idea.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
(6) I am 99% sure that the processors on the new MBP will at least be 2.5ghz and 2.6ghz Penryn's (Just looking at Intel's roadmap)
(7) God I would be so happy if they did that, and stop underclocking them!
(8) Mmmmmm...Faster boot times. That would quite handy especially in school. I swear I start and turn of my computer constantly
(9) I am starting to agree with you since (since our last spout about USB) that firewire is the way to go. but why stop with another FW400, give us another FW800 while they are at it just for kicks. :D
(10) Only if they still include the cable w/ proper adapter (or it is a mini to full size DVI)
(11) They should, boy they should...its been too long since an update.

Here is what I think. I have noticed that ALL apple updates recently have been to their Consumer Level products. The iPods, the iMac and the Macbook. So perhaps this year at Macworld, Steve Jobs will give Apple's Pro Line a whole new look. Updated Macbook Pro's, Updated Mac Pro's, and updated Cinema Displays. Banner Slogan?

"Dressed for Success"

"Welcome the new Pros to the Show"

"Pro Gets a whole new Look"

"Meet the new Family" (A play on a classic Apple slogan)

"Apple Goes to Work"

...Something witty that I will be proud to look at while they ring up my purchase and the Apple store. :D

Here it is: "Putting the PRO back in our lineup." ;)

What do ya think? I think it fits, since many of the machines are a bit behind the times... useful, and very efficient machines, but behind the times.

Please, include a 2-button mouse pad.

(I am the only one on this, I know, flame away.. :()

Naw... you're okay with me on this one. I just don't hear that being needed too much and I think it's more of a "I am used to Windows so I want two buttons" thing. I would like two buttons on the Mighty Mouse though, at least the trackpad two finger tap doesn't get all screwy like the MM. And I have found that tapping two fingers is a bit faster and easier than clicking a second button that you will most likely click by accident.

Please forgive me if this has already been noted.

The changes in the MacBook Pro line, for the existing models, probably not a lot. Although there has been speculation about a "new look" Personally I think that's a nonstarter.

What's more likely is the introduction of a MacBook Pro ultralight portable.

In general thinking it will come in at about 3 pounds. It will not have the fastest processor, in lieu of a HDD, you'll see 64GB(?) of flash memory.

But the emphasis will be on losing weight, that can be done by clocking back, having flash memory, and not having an internal DVD.

Steve are you listening? I among many will not stop whining until a 3 ponder is released.

I would love to have that too, but give us the MacPros, MacBook Pros, and update ACDs along with it.

the macbook keyboard.

Is getting far too much credit... and is very overrated. I hope that Apple keeps the Professional and Consumer keyboards separate. But if they must replace it with the Chic-lets keys then they must.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
after using the one button trackpad for so long, I now find a two button one a bit awkward

and with the two finger thing for right click (how new is that, because I am pretty sure that was not on my old PowerBook with Tiger), it really makes two buttons unnecessary

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I'm a long-time Windows user who switched to Mac about three months ago.

What I've learned is that two buttons is completely unnecessary on a notebook with the implementation of two finger tap and scrolling... I find myself trying the two-finger tap on my dell laptops and groaning when I have to reach for the "right mouse" button :)

Believe me, I thought the lack of the second button was completely idiotic at first... but trust me... you won't miss it after a week or so.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
(6) I am 99% sure that the processors on the new MBP will at least be 2.5ghz and 2.6ghz Penryn's (Just looking at Intel's roadmap)
(7) God I would be so happy if they did that, and stop underclocking them!
(8) Mmmmmm...Faster boot times. That would quite handy especially in school. I swear I start and turn of my computer constantly
(9) I am starting to agree with you since (since our last spout about USB) that firewire is the way to go. but why stop with another FW400, give us another FW800 while they are at it just for kicks. :D
(10) Only if they still include the cable w/ proper adapter (or it is a mini to full size DVI)
(11) They should, boy they should...its been too long since an update.

Here is what I think. I have noticed that ALL apple updates recently have been to their Consumer Level products. The iPods, the iMac and the Macbook. So perhaps this year at Macworld, Steve Jobs will give Apple's Pro Line a whole new look. Updated Macbook Pro's, Updated Mac Pro's, and updated Cinema Displays. Banner Slogan?

"Dressed for Success"

"Welcome the new Pros to the Show"

"Pro Gets a whole new Look"

"Meet the new Family" (A play on a classic Apple slogan)

"Apple Goes to Work"

...Something witty that I will be proud to look at while they ring up my purchase and the Apple store. :D

This is what I have been thinking all along. I believe that the 2008 MWSF is going to be Pro based. The Mac Pro is in great need of an update and same with the Macbook Pro. They also might update the case design since both of them have been out there for 4 years+ minus minor updates such as a second optical drive and an iSight camera.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
This is what I have been thinking all along. I believe that the 2008 MWSF is going to be Pro based. The Mac Pro is in great need of an update and same with the Macbook Pro. They also might update the case design since both of them have been out there for 4 years+ minus minor updates such as a second optical drive and an iSight camera.
Why fix what is not broken...

The MBP case design is nearly flawless cosmetically (in my opinion) there is no reason to update it just because it's been out there for a while

change for changes sake is not really that great of a thing

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Why fix what is not broken...

The MBP case design is nearly flawless cosmetically (in my opinion) there is no reason to update it just because it's been out there for a while

change for changes sake is not really that great of a thing

Well, it is almost perfect. They need to include a magnetic hatch. The MB has it, why can't the MBP have it? I also would like to see a darker color to it but the actual design of the MBP is very good, minus the old-style hatch.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Naw... you're okay with me on this one. I just don't hear that being needed too much and I think it's more of a "I am used to Windows so I want two buttons" thing. I would like two buttons on the Mighty Mouse though, at least the trackpad two finger tap doesn't get all screwy like the MM. And I have found that tapping two fingers is a bit faster and easier than clicking a second button that you will most likely click by accident.

Yea, it's mostly that. I will be a "switcher" come January (or whenever the new MBP's come out) and I'm thinking simply from the perspective of when I do use Windows on the thing (I really will) it'd be nice to have that second button.

Also I can totally see how the 2nd button is unnecessary in most cases, but when you're a "power" user, that 2nd button (and keyboard shortcuts) can often cut down on a lot of wasted time.

I guess it's just my background, I use Macs here and there right now and I just think holding down Control while clicking to simulate a right-click is extremely cumbersome.

Ok, how about the OPTION to have a 2nd button on a MBP. I'd pay extra for that! :)

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
Please, include a 2-button mouse pad.
(I am the only one on this, I know, flame away.. :()
How about a Multi touch mouse ;) The scroll ball is a bad reminder of the "roller Ball" mouse days. Plus the two finger Zoom and multi orientation functions from the iPhone could be useful in a mouse. Like a mobile "track Pad/ball",... Man I miss Contra in the arcade, Track Ball arcade rules! :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yea, it's mostly that. I will be a "switcher" come January (or whenever the new MBP's come out) and I'm thinking simply from the perspective of when I do use Windows on the thing (I really will) it'd be nice to have that second button.

Also I can totally see how the 2nd button is unnecessary in most cases, but when you're a "power" user, that 2nd button (and keyboard shortcuts) can often cut down on a lot of wasted time.

I guess it's just my background, I use Macs here and there right now and I just think holding down Control while clicking to simulate a right-click is extremely cumbersome.

Ok, how about the OPTION to have a 2nd button on a MBP. I'd pay extra for that! :)

You're talking to a power user, one of the few on this site (R.I.P. Multimedia) and trust me, two finger tapping is much faster than hitting a second mouse button, yes... believe it. I had to use Photoshop on a colleague's Dell Inspiron and it drove me nuts! That button is useless when you have to keep your fingers right near the trackpad.

Another colleague had an iBook running 10.2 and it was even more AGONIZING to have to control click to get a dialogue, so I know what the Mac was missing all those years with lack of a two button mouse and trackpad, but now, it's no problem.

When you do use Windows on the Mac, you will get the ability to two finger tap for right click through the drivers, so you should be okay.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Oh ok, that actually sounds pretty sweet.

Off topic: saying "white guy" isn't racist because saying "black guy" isn't either

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Oh ok, that actually sounds pretty sweet.

Off topic: saying "white guy" isn't racist because saying "black guy" isn't either

Exactly... i got that from another poster's signature. I thought that it was funny that he was even asking the question... the one in green. So to be funny i posted the response in red. As you said.... very off topic, and we get busted for stuff like that.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Well, it is almost perfect. They need to include a magnetic hatch. The MB has it, why can't the MBP have it? I also would like to see a darker color to it but the actual design of the MBP is very good, minus the old-style hatch.
Yeah, the magnetic lid would be good, but I was posting that towards the people wishing for a total overhaul of the case and keyboard design

ill0gical0ne

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Personally, I'd like to see the option of picking any internal hardware components with any size screen (maybe with the exception of GPU). I find it annoying that you have to buy the largest screen "laptop" to get the fastest processor. Seriously... a 17" monitor should not be considered a laptop.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
Personally, I'd like to see the option of picking any internal hardware components with any size screen (maybe with the exception of GPU). I find it annoying that you have to buy the largest screen "laptop" to get the fastest processor. Seriously... a 17" monitor should not be considered a laptop.

You don't have to purchase the 17" version in order to get the fastest processor. The higher-end 15,4" model has the same basic internal components as the 17".

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
MBP:
New Mag Latch would be great
new function keys probable
2.4ghz on low end 15.4", 2.6 on higher model, 2.8ghz option on 17"
256 card standard. Still no 512 card.
HD on 15.4"
NEW LED 13.3" MBPRO:
128 Card
Processor speeds same as MB
super drive standard
New keyboard?
New remote?

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I'm an idiot for never scrolling down far enough on MacRumors to discover the MacBookPro section, lol...

I'm pretty excited for the next MacBookPro, a 13 inch would be PERFECT.

Mid jan. needs to hurry up and get here :)

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
MacBook Nano.

2kg,
2ghz c2d
2gb ram
1/2" thick
13"

and, here it is: (little rough around the edges)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.