Macbook Pro 2011 (15") Terrible Screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjoshua, Mar 20, 2011.

1. macjoshua macrumors 6502

I returned the first laptop I got because of backlight bleed that was obvious on black areas of the screen, but that also created darker areas on the screen on lighter images.

The screen on the new laptop is relatively evenly lit, however the colors are absolutely terrible. I've calibrated it as best I can, but the screen is significantly warmer toward the top, especially the top right corner.

Is anyone else having such terrible luck with screens?

2. tcador macrumors regular

no complaints here, in fact I haven't found a single thing wrong with my new MBP. I don't know if I just don't pay as close of detail or others are overly sensitive/cautious, anyways I couldn't be happier.

3. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

I know there are some good screens out there. I think there are just a lot of bad screens out there too. For the average user, my screen would be fine, but when I'm working on a design and the left half of a tan texture is an entirely different color than the right half, it doesn't work for me.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

My screen is great. It has beautiful colors and is very vibrant.
    There is one small issue, though: Above the F10-F11 keys on the bottom of the screen there is an area which is slightly more blue than the rest of the screen. It is only noticeable when the screen is black (but still on) and when there is very little ambient light.

My screen is a 15" Antiglare from 2011.
    By the way: does anyone know how to find out which specific panel I have?

5. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Go to the Displays section in your System Preferences panel, choose Color and then open the Color LCD profile (typically the one at the top). Scroll to line 17, and it gives you the model number there.

Mine is a 9CA4, which I believe is a Samsung.

6. iEeman macrumors newbie

My screen is also very good. No problems at all. I just bought Mac (15") last week.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Thank you. I have the 9CB7.

8. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's a Samsung screen.

9. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

10. frogger2020 macrumors regular

11. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

pics

ok, here are some pics i took with my iPhone. they're a decent representative of what I'm seeing. I think the phone's white balance goes off a bit because the laptop's screen puts out such a red tone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mike2732 macrumors member

Return it and get anti-glare, especially if you're a designer. :)
    Love mine, and no problems here either.

13. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried out the anti-glare screens, but I'm one of the odd designers that actually prefers glossy. :rolleyes:

14. darkeartg macrumors regular

I have an anti glare and its perfect, in fact it's actually better than my old 2010 as I actually have almost zero light bleed on blacks, and as far as i can tell zero light bleed on white background which was surprising

15. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm heading to the apple store in a few minutes to see what they'll do about it.

16. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

They gave me a new laptop. I'm setting it up now, but it has the same screen model as the last one. It's noticeably less red than the last screen though.

17. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

I have the 17" replaced the glossy for the AG. Night and day difference, AG panel is almost flawless. Glossy was terrible.

18. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Two of the 2.2 GHz MBPs that I opened in the Apple Store had dodgy pixels (ie stuck) consecutively, so yes there does seem to be a problem with the screens on some of them.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

9CB7 and it's pretty much the best MBP screen i've ever had. Only the Air surpasses it.

20. New Account macrumors newbie

Model: 00009CB7

And no problems what so ever.

21. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks for the info! I have the 9CB7 and I like it thus far!

22. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Ended up swapping out that last computer too because of a yellowish backlight bleed that made watching movies unbearable if you were at even a slight degree off of the perfect viewing angle. :(

But, the computer I got it swapped out for has a 9CA3 (LG) screen, and it's great. Even better than my old MBP.

I've adjusted just fine to the glossy screen, which I really like a lot more than the AG screens (just a preference). So, hopefully this computer will work for me for the next few years.

23. sydenham macrumors regular

To answer your question, no the screens aren't terrible, your just being ridiculous and wasting Apples time.

24. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Considering all the money I spend on Apple products every year, I hardly think I'm wasting their time. Am I picky about quality? Sure. That's the whole reason I buy Apple products in the first place.