MacBook Pro 2014 update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mavericks7913, May 17, 2014.

1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502

Im a person who is waiting for new update of macbook pro with retina version in WWDC 2014.

Well base on the data, they might update the macbook pro in June but not sure.

Will they release the new version of macbook pro 2014?

2. Meister, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

If there is an update it will be very likely very, very minor.
    Like a 0.1 mhz speed bump as they did with the mbas.

No need to wait. Buy now.

3. AlphaDeuce macrumors newbie

WWDC is only about 2 weeks away so we'll find out soon.

I am also in the same boat and will wait it out without and not do any extra research or think about it too much.

My summer class starts June 25 so it works out for me.

According to the macrumors buyer's guide the macbook pro is a "don't buy"

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Unless your need is a showstopper for your business; where not buying a computer now will not put food on your kids table; wait out the two weeks to hear what WWDC has to say.

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

The Macbook Pro won't see anymore updates I would imagine, it'll most likely be phased out for the retina models.

When the rMBP gets refreshed, as said above it won't be anything groundbreaking in much the same way the Airs were recenrly.

6. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I was telling my husband that I wanted to upgrade to a new model this year.. I have the mid 2012, MBP 15 inch (retina). The more I think about what exactly would the upgrade be or look like, the more I don't want to upgrade. I think they will keep the same look and nothing much will change, only minor specs.
    I guess for those who don't have a MBP can get the new model, but for those with one already there isn't much benefit. I'll wait again. My MBP is still in pristine condition. No complaints here. :eek:

7. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I think that this is really poor advice, and stuff like this almost invariably comes from the people who own the current model. It's one thing if there's no reason to believe that it will be updated soon, but it's not really a prudent buying decision to purchase something this expensive when we have a scheduled event where it's reasonably likely to be updated within 2 weeks. How major the update is a inconsequential. He may be able to get something better and newer for the same amount or less money in a very short period of time from now.

This doesn't just apply to the Mac-obsessed people, myself included, that frequent these forums, but for the general population who should be educated on their purchases.

It's one thing to wait an indefinite amount of time for an update, but another to ignore the fact that there's an Apple event in 2 weeks. If there's no update at WWDC, then I would say it would be much more reasonable to purchase then, but I would certainly wait and see.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

While I respect your opinion, it is not necessarily good advice either.
    You are assuming that the price will be the same.

I noticed before the last update prices for the cmbp went down.
    After the update they skyrocketed. Buying right before the event can save money.

9. majkom macrumors 65816

Not true, not in this case. Prices will either stay same or fall. Whoever is planning to buy ANYTHING from apple and can wait two weeks should wait, wwdc is coming.

10. Tourgott macrumors member

I'm in the same boat and I will definitely wait until WWDC.
    But what do you guys think? Will we get an update on the 13" rMPB?
    Thanks

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I think this depends on the country you are in.
    Here prices drop before and then rise after the event. They always do this.
    There is for example offers for 1190,- € for the rmbp 8/256 that expire on the 24th of May.

There is not going to be any significant update in two weeks either.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We're almost in June so I'd say wait until then, but I'm kind of doubting we'll see any major updates.

13. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I doubt there will be an update. If there is it will be very minor like some of the other posts are saying. Plus seeing (if I remember correctly) we just had a price drop for the rMBP in October with the Haswell refresh, so pretty unlikely to see another price drop, although there definitely won't be any price rises.

The major update with Broadwell + (20nm) Maxwell will come at the end of 2014 or early 2015. The chips just aren't ready for WWDC.

14. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Correct, and every other "should I buy now thread" that has been posted so far this year (quite literally at least 1 a week, if not 1 a day and a search by the OP would have shown that) has ended with that revelation.

Intel won't have a new chip ready, if Apple updates the rMBP, it'll be a slight speed bump, with a major update reserved for when Broadwell ships (whenever Intel has it ready).

15. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Exactly, if you can wait till end of 2014/early 2015 then wait, otherwise buy now. Plus I think people are really setting their expectations too high for the next refresh (well aside from Maxwell boost but thats for a minority of users like myself). The update will basically bring a boost to battery life, a bit of a boost to iGPU too, 90% of users won't notice any difference. I have the current rMBP and it is fantastic, one of the best purchases I've ever made, just buy it and you will not be disappointed. The constant should I buy now threads are irritating, nothing will happen at WWDC with the rMBP.

16. majkom macrumors 65816

You work in apple? Really hate those 100percent sure answers - nothing will happen, really?

17. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I think he's more making the point that if you go by the constant stream of "should I buy now" posts, no one would ever buy anything. Either you need the machine or you don't. If you do, buy it, if you don't then don't.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

RIP Pro line..

Here we go, they are going to lay to rest the MacBook "Pro" line as they want more to focus on getting younger and younger more hip consumers with parents who work more, spend more and who have less time with their children demographic. So instead of charging a lot from the proSumers out there, why not charge even more from the conSumers out there who thinks spending more than an arm and a leg is getting something quality.

So as iPhones get steroid injections the mac notebooks get estrogen injections + anorexia pills. Very funny business this is right? Phones are becoming laptops soon while laptops are becoming iPods really.

Happy spending. I sure wont be. My 17" MBP early 2006 is still zippy.

Love you all.

19. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

This.

and isnt broadwell going to release late this year? So anything with the CPU should be minor

20. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The proposed update to the 15-inch line is a jump to a 2.9GHz Crystalwell processor, a 0.3GHz jump from the current 2.6GHz top spec model.

The other thing people failed to mention is a graphics card update to the machine, which is likely as well.

SSD sizes will likely remain constant, I do not see a 1.5TB SSD anytime soon.

and 32GB of RAM will have to wait until the next major processor architecture is released.

21. SarcasticJoe Suspended

SarcasticJoe

I doubt the "Pro" moniker is going anywhere... If they're going to reduce the number of laptops in their lineup it's probably their "Air" moniker that'll have to give way. Considering the fact they've only got two laptop lines after they killed the original Macbook years ago, I doubt they'll do any kind of reshuffling of their laptop segment until we finally get the ARM Macbook Air in which case the x86 Air and Pro will consolidate under the "Pro" moniker.

I doubt the Pro will get anything other than what the Air got (tiny spec bump and price reduction) until Intel's next family of processors which probably won't come out until next year. This is because AMD hasn't been much of a threat over the last few years and thus Intel will probably not be in much of a hurry introducing the next set of chips when they can just keep using the production lines they already have and not have to rush the new production lines they're going to need for the next set of chips.

22. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

No but I keep up to date with the semiconductor industry and know how long it takes for the chips to enter full production and hit the market. Broadwell is really behind schedule as the 14nm second gen FINFET process has been having problems with production yields. These things don't just get chucked in an oven and voila, processors. Aside from Intel's Devil's Canyon update which is just better binned chips combined with a proper thermal solution I don't see what else Apple can be expected to do, as there's no new chips to include? Outside of a tiny 0.1MHz speed bump there's nothing Apple could change? So I feel a 100% definite, 'you won't see a refresh' is a certainty.

23. ross7777 macrumors member

I sold my MBA right before the refresh and I've been watching prices of the 13" rMBP. Newegg has the 8GB/512 for $1599. That's $200 off and Amazon has matched it.

I'm not sure I can wait for WWDC with a discount like that. Seems like a damn good deal.

Think I should pull the trigger?

24. majkom macrumors 65816

Lol. Airs were bumped. If rMBr is bumped, why buy now? Of course, it is tiny bump, but still, for same money better machine.

25. gtanner00 macrumors member

Exactly. I feel that apple will certainly update the pros as the airs are continuing to close in on them from a specification perspective. Apple needs to upgrade the pros a little to make them stand out as Apple's top notebook line.