Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nptech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2016
Hey guys,

How is the macbook pro 2016 for editing 4k video?

Really hard time trying to track down a review that shows this performance. I'm wanting to switch from my adobe premiere windows rig to a smaller mac laptop workstation. Just wondering what the performance is like editing 4k content, preferably in final cut (not terribly large projects, 10-15 mins long at most).

Any input would be appreciated!

hj8ag

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Hey guys,

How is the macbook pro 2016 for editing 4k video?

Really hard time trying to track down a review that shows this performance. I'm wanting to switch from my adobe premiere windows rig to a smaller mac laptop workstation. Just wondering what the performance is like editing 4k content, preferably in final cut (not terribly large projects, 10-15 mins long at most).

Any input would be appreciated!

Have you read Tom Grove Carter's article?

His work can be seen here

Reactions: Rasta4i and suuuii

nptech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2016
Ahh awesome thanks for that! Wasn't as in depth as I'd hoped. Would anyone be able to chime in on how they've found editing 4k content on the new mbp?

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Ahh awesome thanks for that! Wasn't as in depth as I'd hoped. Would anyone be able to chime in on how they've found editing 4k content on the new mbp?

I would also love to hear this.

But, as far as I can tell basically no one on the entire internet has reviewed it in this way yet.

I've been desperately searching but found very little. I've been down to the store and done some 4K editing myself on display models (extreeeemely impressed) but it's very tough to say till I have the machine at home and can control variables / codecs / get deeper, or someone does a proper review.

From the bits and pieces of impressions I've seen, the general consensus is that it's super duper excellent for 4K in FCPX if you have the 460.

I'll post something about it here when i get my machine (should be within a week) if no one else has posted a solid review yet.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

nptech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2016
I would also love to hear this.

But, as far as I can tell basically no one on the entire internet has reviewed it in this way yet.

I've been desperately searching but found very little. I've been down to the store and done some 4K editing myself on display models (extreeeemely impressed) but it's very tough to say till I have the machine at home and can control variables / codecs / get deeper, or someone does a proper review.

From the bits and pieces of impressions I've seen, the general consensus is that it's super duper excellent for 4K in FCPX if you have the 460.

I'll post something about it here when i get my machine (should be within a week) if no one else has posted a solid review yet.
That would be much appreciated, I'm surprised none of the big names, john morrison, austin, mkbhd etc have done a review covering FCP performance yet. Seems like nobodies talking about it which isn't a terribly good sign.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
That would be much appreciated, I'm surprised none of the big names, john morrison, austin, mkbhd etc have done a review covering FCP performance yet. Seems like nobodies talking about it which isn't a terribly good sign.

Yeah Morrison simply said it was great for 4k editing in one of his videos, but did not elaborate. Marques has looked at the 13, but that doesn't rly help.

There's a dude on the forums here who got his real early on and was posting all sorts of amazing info, and he was going to edit his next 4k project on it, so i assume he'll be back with impressions on that experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.