Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
So this is kinda weird.
Ever since I got the new Macbook Pro 2016, I seem to run into this problem some times. A certain key on the keyboard tends to get more stiff yet a bit spongy, it feels like something is getting in the way of the key being pressed. It takes more pressure to press it and it lacks that clicky feel when pressed. This problem remains for a while (a day or two) and then goes away. It happened to my "i" key then the f2 key remained like this for a few days and now the left shift key seems to be facing the same thing.
As I said it fixes on its on after a while.

Am I the only one facing this problem? I am not sure whats causing it, dirt ? or maybe i have excessively oily skin and my hands sweat a lot, could that be causing problem, oil or sweat build up ?
I do try to clean the key board and screen at least once a week

Reactions: itsmeKAI

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Not the only one, however most of my keys never came back to " normal " but that is on the 15" with touchbar model. I would say make a trip into the Apple store or have them swap the machine like I had done.

hj576

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Not the only one, however most of my keys never came back to " normal " but that is on the 15" with touchbar model. I would say make a trip into the Apple store or have them swap the machine like I had done.
my keys always go back to normal :p

Chargeback

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
had the same thing on the left side of the keyboard, as soon as the MacBook Pro 15,4" (2,7 GHz, Radeon Pro 460) got warmer. I Just returned it and bought a different config, no probs with that one.

It might be a heat problem. I realized its while charging the MacBook Pro. For me the problem appears on the side the USB-C power cable is plugged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: HansDiag

rlsikosek

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
the Netherlands
I also have this issue. Some of the keys seem to miss the clicky sound, and indeed feel a bit spongy. It seems like the keyboard isn't accurate. I have it mainly on the left side, with keys like S, A, and Q. It seems a bit weird, but I don't think I am going to ask for a replacement, it isn't such a big deal.

Reactions: itsmeKAI

smacken

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2017
Kabul, Afghanistan
mine up and died for no apparent reason. the keyboard just stopped working. Apple Care tech was clueless, told me to send it back, but given I'm working in Kabul AF for about 6 months before I go home next, they said there its nothing they can do to help as they don't ship internationally, unless you are buying a made to order system, then they ship from China direct to your home! BS in my view. They clearly know of this issue, and a recall is in order, if not its only a matter of time before they get sued on this.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
A key on my 2016 keyboard just failed last night. They said it needs to be repaired 5-7 days. Touchbar models get replaced computers due to complexity of repairs. Non touch bar gets sent out.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
I've had this a few times so far. It's as if they key's lose their clicky nature and become spongy and on occasion slightly stuck. There's a video on Youtube for the Macbook butterfly keyboard with someone releasing a key, it's not for the feint hearted. I've successfully released the keys a couple of times by inserting a very thin needle into the gap around the key, gently lifting the key slightly and then blasting a can of compressed air into the gap. It's released the stuck/spongy key each time and restored the click.

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my Macbook Pro clean but given that the gaps are so small on the butterfly keyboard it seems pretty easy for dirt to affect the mechanical action of the key's.

I've also noticed inconsistency between the key's movements, the return key and a couple of other key's are a lot more spongy than most of the other keys.

I really like the keyboard on the Macbook now, I prefer it to most other laptop's however as time goes by there is a feeling building of it being rather fragile.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I bought the first gen Retina MacBook (the first laptop with the new butterfly keyboard) when it first came out and have always had this exact problem and still have to date. What works for me is to press down a couple of times with medium strength on the affected key and to hold it down for a few seconds and rub it around a bit. massage it a bit so to speak :)

even though I much prefer typing on this new keyboard, this problem can be a bit annoying and it's definitely more sensitive to dirt getting under the keys than the old keyboard.

randomtask

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
My MBP 2016 13" keyboard is essentially ruined.

Down key unresponsive, right side of spacebar reduced sensitivity, right arrow key completely depressed, tab key reduced responsiveness, 6 key the same.

Appointment at genius bar on friday. If I could get my money back I would - I think the keyboard design is terrible, but it is too late now (2 months old).

I've had 6 apple laptops in total, the last 5 the best machines i've ever owned. This one = garbage.

rlsikosek

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
the Netherlands
I brought my MacBook with Touch Bar again back to the store I bought it. When I check the repair status it says: Waiting for parts..

So, that means that they are gonna replace my top case. Better than nothing, hope the problem will finally be solved then :D

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
My macbook is suffering from the same, the warmer it becomes the worse is the issue. Sometimes Enter key doesnt give any feedback (no key travel especially if you hit the corner when typing), affecting also the shift key under the enter key nowadays. Started after a month.

rlsikosek

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
the Netherlands
So, I brought my MacBook back to the store I bought it again. They replaced my motherboard, keyboard, battery and Touch Bar. So everything is new except the screen. It seems like the keyboard is fine again.

Reactions: ikir

randomtask

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
Mine is currently in the apple repair - has been for 7 days (7 more days to go at most). They are replacing the top case, whatever that means, at a value of approximately $400.

I was informed I would need multiple repairs before they would consider replacing the machine. Problem is I do not want a like for like replacement as I feel any of these butterfly keyboards will feature the same failure of mechanism.

I am considering selling the machine and purchasing a 2015 Macbook Pro to replace it with. I have no doubt the repaired keyboard will fail again.

(I am sitting here typing on a 2010 Macbook Pro which has a vastly superior keyboard)

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
had the same thing on the left side of the keyboard, as soon as the MacBook Pro 15,4" (2,7 GHz, Radeon Pro 460) got warmer. I Just returned it and bought a different config, no probs with that one.

It might be a heat problem. I realized its while charging the MacBook Pro.

I have a theory here (after having made the same observation): the battery is right beneath the keyboard. There might be an issue with the batteries in some of the rMBPs causing the former to expand when it gets hot which exerts pressure on the keyboard from underneath.

This would not be good news for Apple as expanding batteries are sometimes a precursor to battery explosions and almost always indicate massive issues.

On my 15" TB MBP, it's the top row that gets "sticky" when the battery is charging. Once it's fully charged, the keys return to normal after a few hours.
[doublepost=1490778531][/doublepost]
1st MacBook Pro had noises on " ', 1, 2, 3, 4" Keys.
2nd MacBook Pro had a noise on "Enter" Key. https://youtu.be/UMJhSBTFObY?list=PLm...
3rd MacBook Pro had a noise on "Caps Lock" Key. https://youtu.be/g13703imkr8?list=PLm...

I found the reason, and I fixed (roughly). I made the video how I did. I hope this video helps other people who are having same issue.

I think it's basically a problem with the manufacturing process. If you're tired and annoying to replace or repair until you get "Normal" MacBook Pro (even if we don't know when it's gonna be), refer to my video.

*I will not be responsible for your actions. This video is for reference purposes only.

I decide to replace again last week, and I just got the 4th MacBook Pro today; however, it has a same issue on Delete Key this time. Here is a video that I recorded. I'm not sure how long this will continue.

When you're talking about "replacing" it - is that within the 14-day return window or do they actually replace laptops over this? In any case, it'll be hard for me to prove as it only happens on mine when the battery is charging. By the time I'm at the Apple Store, the keys will have returned to normal.

jmdrbp

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2017
mine up and died for no apparent reason. the keyboard just stopped working. Apple Care tech was clueless, told me to send it back, but given I'm working in Kabul AF for about 6 months before I go home next, they said there its nothing they can do to help as they don't ship internationally, unless you are buying a made to order system, then they ship from China direct to your home! BS in my view. They clearly know of this issue, and a recall is in order, if not its only a matter of time before they get sued on this.

Just seeing all this talk about the Oct 2016 model. My keyboard just stopped working, then worked then stopped. In my house. When I took it to Mac Store, everything worked. Took it home, the keys stopped responding. After reloading the system, and proving it is not a system problem, it all comes to light after reading these forums. Needless to say, I join the ranks, and I am furious I spent so much money on a great laptop with big issues. I can only guess, I'll be swapping this in for a new one, with possiblly more issues than the last one. Sounds like a serious quality control issue.
I would join a lawsuit in a second

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The keyboard is clearly a flawed design. I've never read so many complaints of problems with a MBP keyboard until this model.
Agreed, I have no idea at the percentage of failure but for a brand new product to have so many people complaining, its disheartening. Just googling shows a high volume of hits, so its just not a Macrumors thing,

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Agreed, I have no idea at the percentage of failure but for a brand new product to have so many people complaining, its disheartening. Just googling shows a high volume of hits, so its just not a Macrumors thing,

I currently have a 2009 Mac Pro and. 2010 13" MacBook Pro. I'm in need of a refresh and was all set to buy the new MBP. But my spider sense is telling me not to do it. The keyboard issues alone are a red flag. I just can't justify spending almost $6,000 on a machine with these known issues happening. Very disappointed.

I'm now thinking of foregoing a MBP altogether and get 12.9 iPad Pro for portable use and a new iMac for home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.