MacBook Pro 2016 - Order Take 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnluckyXIII, Dec 18, 2016.

  1. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #1
    After the complications with my initial order, and neither PayPal or Apple trying to help resolve my problem my original order was cancelled yesterday;

    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/problem-processing-payment-apple-order.2020833/

    I go away for 3 months in the new year (fly out on the 17th Jan) and I was really hoping to still get a new MacBook Pro before I go. I've also "invested" in several accessories for the new MacBook which I've had since placing my original order so can't return.

    I guess my question before I place another order is should I change anything? My original BTO was for the 15" SG 2.7/460/1TB, which would have been an amazing machine. The MacBook is going to be used mainly for video and photo editing with some light gaming (Civ, Darkest Dungeon, XCOM type stuff), email, word processing, browsing and other general day-2-day type stuff. So, should I stick with the original BTO or go with something else??

    Cheers,
    XIII
     
  2. imbadwithusernames macrumors 6502

    imbadwithusernames

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    Location:
    Spain
    #2
    I think that for you that's a great Computer, but if you want to and if you can of course, you could upgrade the CPU. But I don't see it necessary, just if you want to
     
  3. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #3
    Unfortunately just checked the order page and as soon as you make any changes (BTO) the order window slips past the 18th... which puts me back to square one :(

    Would calling Apple and asking if they could reinstate the order they've cancelled be an option or are they not able to do that??

    Anyone got any ideas? Literally pulling my hair out here over all of this :( :( :(

    And don't even get me started on the several £100 I've spent on accessories that I can't return.... and don't have the bloody tMBP to use with them :O

    XIII
     
  4. imbadwithusernames macrumors 6502

    imbadwithusernames

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    Location:
    Spain
    #4
    Where do you live?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2016 ---
    Seen the GBP sign
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2016 ---
    Just checked the apple store, if you order rn online and select a home delivery, in 2-3 weeks you'll have it, and that's 1 week before the 18th
     
  5. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #5
    Many Apple stores have the Ultimate edition rmbp 15 with 2.9 CPU 460 GPU and 1tb ssd. I'd call around. Make sure you talk to someone "in the know". Sometimes you have to talk to several employees.
     
  6. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2016
    #6
    The trick with this is to as for the manager
     
  7. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #7
    After speaking with Apple Sales today they have advised that any BTO system would NOT be with me before I'm due to fly.

    One option I've got is to go for a non-BTO system, have that delivered and take it out to China with me, then once my BTO system arrives arrange for it to be shipped out to meet me at my hotel in Phuket for the 25th Jan, transfer my files over and mail back my original non-BTO MBP. Obviously any hold-ups could result in me being stuck with two tMBP but if everything goes as planned it would give me a laptop for my entire journey and also mean I get the BTO model I originally ordered... Has anyone tried anything like this before and how hard is it to pull it off?

    Running out of options....
    XIII
     
  8. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #8
    Why can't you go to a local Apple store and pick up an 'ultimate edition'? I'd pay the extra few hundred to avoid the potential hassle and potential loss due to theft of having 2 very expensive laptops while traveling.
     
  9. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #9
    After calling my local stores they don't have any 15" of any variation available (actually, they don't have any of the 13" either). The website availability also shows the base models out-of-stock in a 150m radius from me so its pretty safe to say that there are non in stock anywhere.
     
  10. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #10
    Sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out as your scenario then seems to be the only plausible one.
     
  11. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #11
    I wouldn't spend the cash on that huge upgrade of the SSD. They'll have flash drives soon with space up to 512GB with USB 3.1, which will be nearly as fast as the drive anyway.
     
  12. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #12
    Yeah, really annoyed at Apple/PayPal in regards to my original order, I guess when companies get big they stop caring and wanting to help the individual :(

    So aside from the SSD, if I was to opt for say the base 15" with 2.7/455/512gb what physical difference would I find between it and my original specification (2.7/460/1TB) because if the difference in real world terms really is minimal then I could opt for a base model which will be delivered around the 11th Jan.
     
  13. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #13
    Physically, you'll fine nearly no change. The heat given off of a 460 -might- be more as it uses up more power, but otherwise, it looks exactly the same. The graphics card will be a bit weaker, but depending on your use case, that may not matter at all.I'd go with the stock one if I were you- I just ordered mine this weekend and it won't be here for about a month..
     
  14. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #14
    Depends what the OP can stand. 1TB is a bare minimum for me, especially with a soldered SSD. If he's doing a bunch of 4K video editing/DSLR RAW, 1 TB is going to a bit cramped in no time at all.
     
  15. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #15
    Would a thunderbolt 3 drive/raid not end up being a cheaper option if you need more than 512gb of space? Portability suffers slightly, but it would be a much cheaper and upgradable option.
     
  16. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #16
    Back in the game ^____^

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    After speaking with another Apple representative last night they advised that the most recent orders seem to be shipping faster (some by up-to a week) and that I would be very unfortunate if the laptop didn't arrive at the earlier end of my expected delivery window... so here's hoping :)

    XIII
     
  17. HeatherA macrumors 6502

    HeatherA

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #17
    JUST an FYI. I ordered my machine in November hoping to have it in hand early enough to travel with. My delivery date was the day that I leave. Guess when it's being delivered... yep that very day. So no machine for my travels. Just be prepared. I'm used to Apple always getting deliveries early, but in this case my gamble did not pay off.
     
  18. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #18
    Holy crap is that Mac expensive. 2.3k pounds? The VAT is insane :(
     
  19. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #19
    Tell me about it, sucks to be in the UK at the moment with the additional charge Apple has added to the cost of products here, fortunately I qualify for Edu discount, which is actually a fairly large saving :)

    I would have cried (had to pass) if I had to pay full retail;

    [​IMG]
     
  20. iBrooker macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2016
    Location:
    Wales
    #20
    Completely agree with this - upgrade the cpu and gpu and stick to 512gb... then when you need it get a 512GB or 1TB 3.1 SSD :D
     
  21. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #21
    I can see your point, an external Samsung T3 500gb (£175) and the 2.9 CPU upgrade (£162) would arguably be a good option for some.

    The problem with 512 internal (for me) would mean the system will feel very cramped once I dedicate a partition to W10 to run in bootcamp (I was thinking a 300/700 split). Personally I'd rather have that extra space to hand, if it's on an external drive you need to remember to take it everywhere you might possibly need it and then there's the need for another external drive to back up the existing external drive.... so many external drives :O - also, is there much of a real world difference between the 2.7 & 2.9 or are we purely getting down to "bragging rights" by having the best/latest/greatest??

    XIII
     
  22. iBrooker macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2016
    Location:
    Wales
    #22
    Do you 'need' windows? I would just buy a cheap windows laptop instead.

    The difference between 2.7 and 2.9 won't be huge, but it's not something you can change later (as opposed to adding more drives). You'll notice the difference in cpu intensive tasks though.

    I'll be using a monitor as a hub and will stick an additional drive to the back of it (when I feel I need one). I currently have a 250GB drive on my MBA and I've got about 50GB free, so I imagine the 512GB will do me for a while... I guess it depends on your usage :)
     
  23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #23
    Why don't you just go to the store and pick one up. They had this model in the store. I saw a guy asking for the same model with 2TB but they only had 1TB.
     
  24. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2014
    #24
    Unfortunately after calling my local stores no where have it, all of the retail stores in my area (and even London) don't have any 15" in either of the base configurations either;

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page