MacBook Pro 2018 Gen 3 Butterfly Keyboard Issue Reported

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kroxx, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Ries macrumors 68000

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Apple are the only company who could have an article written, cited from a Reddit thread, about a laptop spacebar no longer working a few weeks after purchase.

3. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Yep, this is trolling and frustrating, because I guarantee you now people are going to jump on this as if it were legit and start ranting off with talk of how all the 2018 keyboards are failing.

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Yeeah, the 2018 keeyboars are perfect. have no complants.

5. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I’m sure a few people out there will have legit issues on the 2018 MBP keyboards, but technically every gen of MBP has had at least a handful of people bring in units for keyboard repairs. So far it seems promising that there aren’t any new threads of people complaining about the keyboard failing on the 2018 model.

6. medee88 macrumors newbie

I sadly have a 2018 15" that needs a replacement top case due to key repeats of multiple letters (was told this in the Apple Store today). Was hoping my keyboard issues were finally done after selling my 2016 and 2017 but seems like not. Hoping I'm the outlier and just really unlucky.

7. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I had two replaced, the third has a scratch on the screen, so I was just notified via email that I will wait three to four weeks for repair. All of them had keyboard problems, otherwise they were perfect.

I am now on an old Chromebook which admittedly chokes when I open more than six tabs, but the keyboard is fine.

8. laz232, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

laz232 macrumors 6502

Personally I like the feel of the 2018 MBP keyboard - but I was in a kick-off meeting today and I noticed that the command key on my 2018 MBP has started feeling dead - with about half the travel.

It's gotten better now after a dozen presses - but this does not bode well on a 3 month old 3kUSD laptop... :/

Edit: update - spoke to Apple yesterday, went to the main auth. 3rd party Apple Repair store (no Apple Stores here). The person behind the counter said that they were still getting a lot of keyboard issues - 3rd gen made no difference. I specifically asked them, playing fairly dumb: "but I heard they fixed it", tech: "nah, they added some rubber, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference".
    2-3 week repair turn-around unless I pay an extra 70USD (equivalent) to get 4 day priority.