MacBook Pro 2018 Gen 3 Butterfly Keyboard Issue Reported

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kroxx, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Ries macrumors 68020

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Apple are the only company who could have an article written, cited from a Reddit thread, about a laptop spacebar no longer working a few weeks after purchase.

3. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Yep, this is trolling and frustrating, because I guarantee you now people are going to jump on this as if it were legit and start ranting off with talk of how all the 2018 keyboards are failing.

4. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Yeeah, the 2018 keeyboars are perfect. have no complants.

5. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

I’m sure a few people out there will have legit issues on the 2018 MBP keyboards, but technically every gen of MBP has had at least a handful of people bring in units for keyboard repairs. So far it seems promising that there aren’t any new threads of people complaining about the keyboard failing on the 2018 model.

6. medee88 macrumors newbie

I sadly have a 2018 15" that needs a replacement top case due to key repeats of multiple letters (was told this in the Apple Store today). Was hoping my keyboard issues were finally done after selling my 2016 and 2017 but seems like not. Hoping I'm the outlier and just really unlucky.

7. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I had two replaced, the third has a scratch on the screen, so I was just notified via email that I will wait three to four weeks for repair. All of them had keyboard problems, otherwise they were perfect.

I am now on an old Chromebook which admittedly chokes when I open more than six tabs, but the keyboard is fine.

8. laz232, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

laz232 macrumors 6502

Personally I like the feel of the 2018 MBP keyboard - but I was in a kick-off meeting today and I noticed that the command key on my 2018 MBP has started feeling dead - with about half the travel.

It's gotten better now after a dozen presses - but this does not bode well on a 3 month old 3kUSD laptop... :/

Edit: update - spoke to Apple yesterday, went to the main auth. 3rd party Apple Repair store (no Apple Stores here). The person behind the counter said that they were still getting a lot of keyboard issues - 3rd gen made no difference. I specifically asked them, playing fairly dumb: "but I heard they fixed it", tech: "nah, they added some rubber, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference".
    2-3 week repair turn-around unless I pay an extra 70USD (equivalent) to get 4 day priority.

9. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

I would send that shipping bill to apple. No way in hell would I pay for a quicker repair on a 3k laptop. I would expect them to.

10. FlushedNotRushed macrumors member

If that's the case, I might as well save money and get the 2017 15" instead of the 2018 ?

11. tcador macrumors 6502

Wow that’s awful. I just noticed my j key on my 2016 work computer is sticking. It’s frustrating to say the least, but on the 2018 model that’s disappointing.

12. Teeceman macrumors newbie

Looks like the trolling was a REAL thing.... not fake news.

13. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

LOL. Yeah, it isn’t as if some folks like you and I haven’t had keyboard failures in the first week to 14 days of ownership or anything. Must be trolling :)

14. HardBall macrumors regular

So far so good this year. Only had it for about a month or so, but having had a hint of issue yet.

By this time the 2016 one, the left shift key was already massively misbehaving. The 2018 one also has the benefit of much softer "landing" as the key bottoms out, makes it considerably easier on fingers (on my 2015 12" MB, extended typing first led to numbness in finger tips, until I got used to it a couple of months later, it's almost like getting used to guitar chords after you haven't played a long time)

15. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I have had the opposite experience. So far my 2016 model, which I gave to my wife has been flawless. But I have had keyboard problems with the 2018 models. Luck of the draw I guess? :)

16. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

my W key repeats, but im not going to take it in since its just every now and then

17. canteenboy macrumors newbie

I have a 2018 15" and my spacebar is doing the double spacing and putting periods randomly.

18. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I am afraid it will likely get worse over time, but I sincerely hope that I am wrong and it causes you no more problems than it has.

19. fokmik macrumors 68040

20. Dino_Axl macrumors newbie

Dino_Axl

I hope that I'm just getting paranoid from reading stuff on forums but had this weird issue with the I letter that was skipping being inputed while typing. I hope that it was just me not properly typing (being to gentle with the keyboard) because I couldn't replicate the issue while typing this reply....

I have MacBook Air 2018 (3rd gen butterfly keyboard)

21. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Hopefully so. The skipping input issue was the one that I was having, rather than the repeating keys. But hopefully, the issue you are having isn't related.

22. SBruv macrumors 6502a

I’d put money on it being a failure. It’s seemingly inevitable with these hopeless keyboards... :(

23. Te0SX macrumors regular

Te0SX

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8536157?page=1

I am looking to buy a laptop for the first time since I'll need it for my work next year. I am having an imac mid 2010, and have been os x user only for all these years. I have hard time believing it, but I have to switch to pc for many serious reasons. Mostly though, the greedy pricing (I live in Europe) and this unforgivable keyboard issues. I can not even imagine paying nearly 2000 euros for a machine (13inch, i5, 256gb, 8gb ram) and worrying my keyboard can let me down anytime soon!

I love macos so much but I have to switch to windows/linux for my Data Analytics work. Shame on you Apple. Shame on you. :(

24. cfdlab macrumors regular

I am worried typing password with these keyboards when I am logging to my bank. There is no guarantee it will be correct and if I make too many mistakes then my account will be locked and will need me go through some hoops to get it reactivated.

It is unimaginable how a company like apple can so massively mess up an old technology like keyboard, which is THE main input mechanism in a laptop.

Sadly, apple has become a total jewellery company, they just care for what looks good rather than what works best for their customers.