Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sangui2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Few days ago I have bought new MacBook Pro.
In my opinion the keyboard on MacBook Pro 2018 has much better feel than my 2016 model.
Basically It is quieter.
But I wondering about 'enter' and 'right shift', in general feel when I typing I can't feel hear difference but when I pushing one of this keys singly I noticed that there are little louder than others.

Is this normal?
Anyone noticed that too?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I think it's normal based on your usage. My delete key sounds a bit different than the rest, but possibly because I tap delete faster than I do the other keys.

Reactions: sangui2

sangui2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
I think it's normal based on your usage. My delete key sounds a bit different than the rest, but possibly because I tap delete faster than I do the other keys.
What about right shift?

sangui2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Only if I hit it very quickly like the delete key. Otherwise it's silent. Even the delete key isn't loud if I don't go to town on it.
Yeah, same for me. Actually for 'delete' key too.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
With all due respect, I think we need to stop being really anal/OC about these things. Loudness level of different keys could be due to different factors but as long as one isn't a 5 decibel and the other going all the way to 60 decibels, I don't see an issue with it. If the keyboard works it works. enjoy your new MacBook!

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
With all due respect, I think we need to stop being really anal/OC about these things. Loudness level of different keys could be due to different factors but as long as one isn't a 5 decibel and the other going all the way to 60 decibels, I don't see an issue with it. If the keyboard works it works. enjoy your new MacBook!
Fact. Thats why I haven't been too terribly concerned with mine. There is no such thing as perfect. Even with a 3k machine.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't think it is an unreasonable question or OCD to ask. If a key sounds different the average new owner would wonder if it signified a potential fault or a design quirk.

The forum is great at providing reassurance and, in this case, it is just a quirk of the new keyboard.

Reactions: vaugha

sangui2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
I don't think it is an unreasonable question or OCD to ask. If a key sounds different the average new owner would wonder if it signified a potential fault or a design quirk.

The forum is great at providing reassurance and, in this case, it is just a quirk of the new keyboard.
What you mean 'quirk of the new keyboard.'?

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
I think its like that on all on the right side of the keyboard. Especially on the non American ones.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
For me arrow up and arrow down make a somewhat louder sound from other keys. But then, they are also half the size of other keys. I don't find it problematic, just slightly noticeable.

kvirkel

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2018
Sweden
For me arrow up and arrow down make a somewhat louder sound from other keys. But then, they are also half the size of other keys. I don't find it problematic, just slightly noticeable.

The arrow keys seem to be like that on all samples due to them sharing a silicone membrane slot or something like that. I also suffer from the other keys and since those are used very frequently it's more of an issue.

Here's the thread on my identical issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-13-2018-noisy-keys-on-the-right-side.2130130/

sangui2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Yeah, I think its taking things too far when people seem to be worked up over one key being softer or louder then another. I've not noticed anything on mine, and that's because I'm not looking to find out.
I am agree with you but as you can see this is not single case. Few people noticed the same thing.
Do you have EU keyboard? Please check your right shift/enter bottom/up arrows, just check and let us know if there are little louder.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Please check your right shift/enter bottom/up arrows, just check and let us know if there are little louder.
I have no desire to check, nor will I. I think its a silly exercise and people are way too wrapped up in such trivial minutia

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
My up and down arrow keys are "clickier" than the rest of the keys. Doesn't really bother me however.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like we are lucky that stuff like this is not an issue to us and others. I would never have believed this could bother any one until I read this here.
A few years ago people were extremely worked up about battery cycles, going on and on about how they have too many cycles, I guess in 2018 people are now worried about the key clicks not being 100% uniform across all keys.

I chose not to worry about the battery cycles and used my laptop as I always did, and my battery lasted 5 years before replacement. I'm not going to worry about the keys sounding different and instead just enjoy the computer.

Don't sweat the small stuff :)

kvirkel

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2018
Sweden
Just wanted to reconnect regarding my MBP with the issue. Got the replacement unit and the sound/noise is more or less identical. I'll learn to live with it and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't mean lesser protection from the silicon membrane.

Not being extremely worked up here, just really want to make sure that my expensive new laptop won't suffer from previous models' keyboard problems (without a repair program for this year's model).

roberto76

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2018
italy
But I wondering about 'enter' and 'right shift', in general feel when I typing I can't feel hear difference but when I pushing one of this keys singly I noticed that there are little louder than others.

Is this normal?
Anyone noticed that too?

Take it easy, here's the same (enter is "clickier" than other keys) on a MacBook Pro 2018.
If it has to break it will break.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
For what it's worth when I came to this keyboard from my 2013 one, I immediately noticed that the keys all had a different sound to them. At first this was really off-putting.

This isn't a quiet keyboard, so when the click-clack of the keys is all different I didn't like it. However, 40 days of use and I have to say that now I don't even notice. More to the point, they actually sound more uniform now than when I first used them. I don't know if this is because my typing has gotten softer since I first got it, or that I just don't notice it as much anymore.

How long have you been typing on this keyboard for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.