Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Interesting how so many people talk about fan noise and how it's an indicator of some sort of efficiency of the laptop.

The reality is Apple software tunes the fans to turn on when the laptop reaches higher temperatures because they understand consumer psychology and fans. Fans = bad.

Fan speeds aren't really an indication of anything without understanding the temperature levels of the hardware that triggers the fans to turn on.

hungryghosty

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
Battery
I'm not sure whether it's fair to bash the battery life like you do.
Are the Windows machines you are comparing it to really as powerful, have the same screen real estate etc.?

Had to laugh when I read about the speaker seperation, I actually noticed this first with the "email sent" wwwwwwwhhhhooooosh, going from left to right; thought to myself you've got to be kidding me
?

I think it's just an expectation these days that we get used to having out cake and eating it by getting faster devices with better battery life as time goes by. I mean if you bought a new phone/ipad/etc and it had worse battery life than a 5 year old one then I think you'd have every right to feel disappointed by that. So granted I'm comparing a low powered fanless laptop to a more powerful laptop. However the 2020 13" MBP is 5 years newer, has a higher capacity battery and weighs around 500g more so I feel I'm still justified in expecting it to best the battery life of a 2016 12" Macbook. Especially when running the same tasks and just doing stuff like web browsing.

Totally agree with you about the speakers though. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I was honestly amazed at the clarity offered between left and right stereo channels. It literally sounds like each is coming from a different side of the room which feels like witchcraft on a relatively small 13" laptop! When I started playing music I actually found myself standing there thinking I'd accidentally turned the TV, bluetooth speaker, phone on elsewhere in the room as the sound genuinely didn't sound like it was coming from the little laptop sitting in front of me!

Super impressed with that!

Last edited:
Reactions: yaboid01

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Had my 10th gen i5/32/1tb for 4 days now.

Fans were audible for the first 24 hours during installs / indexing / migration but now running quietly.
Speed is excellent
Keyboard is excellent
Runs my 4K LG Ultrafine brilliantly well

A very nice upgrade in performance from my late-2016 i7 in terms of speed and running the external display.

No comment on battery life yet- I've been plugged in nearly constantly.
I just ordered this same configuration today. 32 GB of RAM is probably overkill, but every Mac I owned before I added more. I can’t with this, so I put 32 in it.

JimCash

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
When you first open a brand new MacBook have to fix out many OS "things" and its really normal to listen more noise from fans and getting warm or even lag sometimes. Relax ppl when all the first staff finish then you ll c much better. But,, Mine entry lvl MacBook Pro 13" 2020 make one "glitch" its screen when I open it up and sometimes when I close it while show the apple logo the bar downside. Is it normal or I ve to search it further?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Just received my 10th Gen i7/32/4TB. I am coming from a loaded 2019 which there was nothing wrong with, just wanted the upgrades to enhance my increased video editing. I am so impressed right off the bat with the Time Machine Migration from an SSD, was almost 45 minutes.

I never really preferred the butterfly keyboard, but I also never really had any issue with it. Initial impressions echo what many others are saying. I love the layout on this keyboard much better, the escape key is nice to have, and I am liking the arrow button configuration. I love the FEEL of this keyboard much more. I forgot about the learning curve I needed to teach myself not to not type too hard on the butterfly which actually slowed my typing to a small degree. Typing on this keyboard and seeing how much more comfortable I am with it is reinforcing the large amount of anticipation I was looking forward to with this. It's a big impact.

The machine is indexing, and there is heat on the bottom, but nothing scorching, and I have it plugged into my LG Ultrafine 4K Monitor. I am hoping the issue I am reading about the USB-C Hubs are software based, and not across the board. I would definitely like to test it enough over the next 2 weeks so I know to keep it and not fear having to lose the machine to service for a few days. Would LG's hub on the rear of the monitor be a hub that is considered a problem?

I will post more tomorrow, just wanted to get initial thoughts out there.

Reactions: kory108

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I had a really long post typed out, but to be honest, my review is "its everything you expect it to be."

Its the current form factor (which I really like) with a new keyboard (which I really like) and some nice specs (16GB off-the-shelf options are way overdue).

Its still a great balance of power v portability, so if you need a reasonably powerful Mac on the move, then this is the one to get.

The thermals are pretty much as they've always-been - the fans spin-up exactly when you'd expect them to on any current Mac laptop.

As part of the move to ARM I'd love to see some of the iPad Pro tech put in here - the pro-motion screen, 1080p webcam and FaceID for starters. That last one might drive a slight design change away from the wafer-thin screen, but who knows.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I had a really long post typed out, but to be honest, my review is "its everything you expect it to be."

That really does sum it up nicely. The funny thing about forums like this, is you are primarily going to get the OCD enthusiast that loves to share the love, the person who found the site because of a problem, and complainers. I am guilty of going in with nervous expectations of the few units that come with faults or small issues people find and post about, and look for them. It's good so I know what to be a little more of what to look for, it's bad because I look! So going over the entire unit making sure there weren't any flaws with the finish, looking at the keyboard noise, listening for coil whine, paying a little more attention to heat and fan noise. Now the USB-C issue I read about. These are good to know on 1 side, but annoying on the other, but that's self generated.

So after I let the OCD subside, and enjoy the fact that mine is free of the "issues" I have been enjoying working on it all day today. The shorter Touch Bar due to the escape button oddly seems a little more useable. Reviewers talk about the Touch Bar as if its Apple's afterthought, but having used it from the start, they add changes into it that are subtle and yet very useful. It changes up with whatever I am doing on MacBook so its unobtrusive and helpful when I need it and didn't realize I needed it until I use it if that makes sense.

I am really liking the screen. It is very bright, extremely easy to read, I believe its the same screen that is used on the 2019 its replacing, but there is something crisper about it. Maybe just the newness, and my novelty of new device.

The keyboard has seriously been a joy to type on all day. It's like I got my favorite MacBook back, but it came back a little smaller, faster, with 4 times more storage, and 2 times more RAM. Definitely happy I made this purchase, and I believe this is finally the MacBook I will be holding onto for a long time.

Like Ascender said, "everything you expect it to be".....I'll add, plus a little more.

earlyadoptermakeshistory

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
Hi it's been almost two weeks now with my new 13" MBP 10th gen i7, 32 gb RAM, 4 tb SSD and these are my impressions.

The first few days were terrible because the machine was seriously always making super loud fan noise. Keep in mind that I didn't make an automatic migration but I transferred my data manually because my iMac was acting strange and didn't want to risk ruining a new machine with migrating malware from my previous machine.
I bought the 4tb version for a reason, it's I have a lot of data (mostly photographs), therefore it's to be expected a lot of background indexing activity, time machine automated backup on, dropbox (huge one) sync.
On top of that I was installing all the applications, virtual machines, etc.
Therefore this part of my usage was somehow to be excused for being "noisy".

After that was over, I noticed a lot of seemingly random noise from the fans. Keep in mind that this machine has two fans that run from 1300 rpm to 6300 rpm. When they are at 1300 up to 2500 they are virtually inaudible. When they are up to 3.800 they are audible but completely bearable. When they are from 4k upwards they are always on your mind and when they peak at 6300 it's really intrusive and difficult to ignore.

80% of my time on the Mac is spent working with an external 5k display (the excellent LG 5k Ultrafine) with multiple desktops, multiple mail clients open, a windows 10 pro virtual machine running outlook, many documents in preview, many documents in word, many browser windows, all open at the same time. Everything runs beautifully and quite smoothly even with this kind of load. Just some of the coherence interface on windows 10 is laggy, but usable.
Well, when I do this, as I'm doing this right now, the fans are at 1400 rpm and it's really a joy to work with this machine.

20% of my time I do something that makes the fans speed up: watch a 4k video on YouTube, adding to the situation above other processes (such as editing raw files, even light editing, in Lightroom), using badly written apps (such as certain table top games on Steam, or running through the browser).
These use cases, depending on how strong the requests on the machine, on my discipline in closing other processes etc. might ramp up the fans up to full speed. For example, 4k videos on YouTube, regardless if it's the only process running, always make the fans ramp up A LOT. The same with badly written apps I mentioned before.
When this happens, I really understand why Apple chose to switch to Apple Silicon. I mean: we have been watching hi res video on iPhones and iPads for years now, and they have much less space to dissipate heat than a laptop. It is simply inconceivable that watching a YouTube video today should make you want to change your laptop due to the noise it makes with the fans.
Yesteday, watching the WWDC keynote through apple's own streaming system netted my a 4800 rpm fan noise: loud but still not I want to get out of the room loud. But still it felt unnecessarily loud for what it was.

Now that the elephant in the room has been acknowledged, let's talk about the rest of the laptop.

keyboard is ok. better than latest versions but still significantly worse than, say, Lenovo thinkpad keyboards which are really a golden standard for laptop keyboards.

touchpad is magnificent, way ahead of pc touchpad and sometimes even better than a mouse.

Touch Bar is useless when not disturbing, as when you touch it by accident.

battery life I still have not had time to test seriously, although from a first exam it seems around 5 hours even with light usage. This is something that should be kept in mind. For me, not a problem as most of the time I work plugged in.

performance: my previous iMac was a 2015 retina 27" 5k with a four core 3,5 ghz processor, 24gb ram and a (terrible) 3tb fusion drive. This machine feels about 30-40% faster than that machine. It's really a very fast machine for my kind of work. (office, web, photo editing). I don't do video, nor do I play games (except for table top games) so don't need a dedicated video card.
When working in Lightroom this machine is a beast: even batch photo editing of medium raw files (24megapixels) happens super fast and it's really really nice to work with.
When dealing with a lot of multitasking this machine keeps up with a lot of stuff going on at the same time. Ok once I tried to push it doing medium heavy photo editing, multiple desktops (with lg 5k as external monitor but with the laptop screen as second display), office work, a 5k YouTube video and windows 10 pro in parallels. The fans were screaming but the machine was still usable, although I felt this to be like the most the machine can handle. I tried opening an 8k video and it couldn't even load it (even though I'm not sure if I have a slow connection problem because maybe it wasn't buffering quickly enough).

What else? Oh yes, the infamous usb 2.0 problem. Well I have no usb 2.0 peripherals nor do I plan to buy any so this issue does not affect me.

Style? This laptop must be the most beautiful portable computer I have ever owned. And I had the (infamous) Apple Powerbook G4 Titanium.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

EDIT: sometimes I get situations where an app (word or safari) stops working. I force quit and then try to reopen it but it just bounces on the dock without reopening. Shortly after the problem becomes a spinning beachball system-wise and I'm forced to restart. I think it's software related.

My history: my first Macintosh was a Macintosh II, then I some Motorola 68k series powerbooks, power Mac g3 Yosemite, powerbook g3, powerbook g4 titanium, powerbook g4 aluminum 12", a lot of colored iMac g3s, powermac g4 cube, etc etc. until the newest hardware...

My favorite laptop of all time? The powerbook g4 aluminum 12", a perfect mix of power and portability with ZERO problems, still perfectly working today, never failed me.

Last edited:

KTamas

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Mine's going back to Apple today for the simple reasons that my 2018 is still good enough to wait out the ARM transition.

That being said the machine, well, does what it says on the tin. The keyboard is great. Noise levels/thermals are fine/same, hell, ever-so-slightly better than my 2018. My unit's screen's backlight was slightly uneven but that's normal. The speakers sound somehow just a bit different, a bit harsh, I'm guessing it's because of the keyboard.

There were a few sporadic reports of coil whine, but mine had none, thankfully.

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
Mine's going back to Apple today for the simple reasons that my 2018 is still good enough to wait out the ARM transition.

That being said the machine, well, does what it says on the tin. The keyboard is great. Noise levels/thermals are fine/same, hell, ever-so-slightly better than my 2018. My unit's screen's backlight was slightly uneven but that's normal. The speakers sound somehow just a bit different, a bit harsh, I'm guessing it's because of the keyboard.

Yeah, I wonder how many ppl are going to do the same. Unfortunately I already gave away my 2013 MBP after I got my 2020 a few days ago, so no option to return mine.

I'm just hoping that Apple will offer a good trade-in program (does one exist right now? similar to what they do with iPhones?) to salvage some value on my MBP when the drop in support will inevitably happen 2-4 years from now. I enjoyed a very healthy 7+ years of full support on my 2013 and was hoping for the same for the 2020, but don't think that'll happen.

hungryghosty

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
I had to return my 13" MBP due to a display issue and I'm still trying to decide what to do? Other than the display (which may just be my unit or possibly even my eyesight) I genuinely felt the 2020 13" MBP was solid device which I'd recommend.

I'm still unsure whether to buy another or struggle along with my 12" MacBook until Apple release an ARM device? Or possibly buy a 13" MacBook Air as a stopgap until we get an idea how the ARM ones perform?

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I had to return my 13" MBP due to a display issue and I'm still trying to decide what to do? Other than the display (which may just be my unit or possibly even my eyesight) I genuinely felt the 2020 13" MBP was solid device which I'd recommend.

I'm still unsure whether to buy another or struggle along with my 12" MacBook until Apple release an ARM device? Or possibly buy a 13" MacBook Air as a stopgap until we get an idea how the ARM ones perform?
I also love mine, but I will be returning it. The demos today show me that the Apple Silicone in the Q4 13” MBP will likely blow the (10th gen intel i7 4-core) chips in these 2020 MBP so far out of the park that i cant justify the cost.

Gbeer

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2020
Hi it's been almost two weeks now with my new 13" MBP 10th gen i7, 32 gb RAM, 4 tb SSD and these are my impressions.

The first few days were terrible because the machine was seriously always making super loud fan noise. Keep in mind that I didn't make an automatic migration but I transferred my data manually because my iMac was acting strange and didn't want to risk ruining a new machine with migrating malware from my previous machine.
I bought the 4tb version for a reason, it's I have a lot of data (mostly photographs), therefore it's to be expected a lot of background indexing activity, time machine automated backup on, dropbox (huge one) sync.

After that was over, I noticed a lot of seemingly random noise from the fans. Keep in mind that this machine has two fans that run from 1300 rpm to 6300 rpm. When they are at 1300 up to 2500 they are virtually inaudible. When they are up to 3.800 they are audible but completely bearable. When they are from 4k upwards they are always on your mind and when they peak at 6300 it's really intrusive and difficult to ignore.

80% of my time on the Mac is spent working with an external 5k display (the excellent LG 5k Ultrafine) with multiple desktops, multiple mail clients open, a windows 10 pro virtual machine running outlook, many documents in preview, many documents in word, many browser windows, all open at the same time. Everything runs beautifully and quite smoothly even with this kind of load. Just some of the coherence interface on windows 10 is laggy, but usable.
Well, when I do this, as I'm doing this right now, the fans are at 1400 rpm and it's really a joy to work with this machine.

20% of my time I do something that makes the fans speed up: watch a 4k video on YouTube, adding to the situation above other processes (such as editing raw files, even light editing, in Lightroom), using badly written apps (such as certain table top games on Steam, or running through the browser).
These use cases, depending on how strong the requests on the machine, on my discipline in closing other processes etc. might ramp up the fans up to full speed. For example, 4k videos on YouTube, regardless if it's the only process running, always make the fans ramp up A LOT. The same with badly written apps I mentioned before.
When this happens, I really understand why Apple chose to switch to Apple Silicon. I mean: we have been watching hi res video on iPhones and iPads for years now, and they have much less space to dissipate heat than a laptop. It is simply inconceivable that watching a YouTube video today should make you want to change your laptop due to the noise it makes with the fans.
Yesteday, watching the WWDC keynote through apple's own streaming system netted my a 4800 rpm fan noise: loud but still not I want to get out of the room loud. But still it felt unnecessarily loud for what it was.

Now that the elephant in the room has been acknowledged, let's talk about the rest of the laptop.

keyboard is ok. better than latest versions but still significantly worse than, say, Lenovo thinkpad keyboards which are really a golden standard for laptop keyboards.

touchpad is magnificent, way ahead of pc touchpad and sometimes even better than a mouse.

battery life I still have not had time to test seriously, although from a first exam it seems around 5 hours even with light usage. This is something that should be kept in mind. For me, not a problem as most of the time I work plugged in.

performance: my previous iMac was a 2015 retina 27" 5k with a four core 3,5 ghz processor, 24gb ram and a (terrible) 3tb fusion drive. This machine feels about 30-40% faster than that machine. It's really a very fast machine for my kind of work. (office, web, photo editing). I don't do video, nor do I play games (except for table top games) so don't need a dedicated video card.
When working in Lightroom this machine is a beast: even batch photo editing of medium raw files (24megapixels) happens super fast and it's really really nice to work with.
When dealing with a lot of multitasking this machine keeps up with a lot of stuff going on at the same time. Ok once I tried to push it doing medium heavy photo editing, multiple desktops (with lg 5k as external monitor but with the laptop screen as second display), office work, a 5k YouTube video and windows 10 pro in parallels. The fans were screaming but the machine was still usable, although I felt this to be like the most the machine can handle. I tried opening an 8k video and it couldn't even load it (even though I'm not sure if I have a slow connection problem because maybe it wasn't buffering quickly enough).

What else? Oh yes, the infamous usb 2.0 problem. Well I have no usb 2.0 peripherals nor do I plan to buy any so this issue does not affect me.

Style? This laptop must be the most beautiful portable computer I have ever owned. And I had the (infamous) Apple Powerbook G4 Titanium.

EDIT: sometimes I get situations where an app (word or safari) stops working. I force quit and then try to reopen it but it just bounces on the dock without reopening. Shortly after the problem becomes a spinning beachball system-wise and I'm forced to restart. I think it's software related.

My history: my first Macintosh was a Macintosh II, then I some Motorola 68k series powerbooks, power Mac g3 Yosemite, powerbook g3, powerbook g4 titanium, powerbook g4 aluminum 12", a lot of colored iMac g3s, powermac g4 cube, etc etc. until the newest hardware...

My favorite laptop of all time? The powerbook g4 aluminum 12", a perfect mix of power and portability with ZERO problems, still perfectly working today, never failed me.

Out of interest, how do you feel with the ARM annoucement? Do you regret buying? How long do you think you will have this Mac? (Thanks).

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
I also love mine, but I will be returning it. The demos today show me that the Apple Silicone in the Q4 13” MBP will likely blow the (10th gen intel i7 4-core) chips in these 2020 MBP so far out of the park that i cant justify the cost.

I'm in the exact same position. Only difference is that I already gave away my 2013 MBP, and I also upgraded to i7 to "futureproof" it (so much for that lol). My 2013 MBP lasted me well over 7 years with full support (and technically is supported by Big Sur as well), so I was hoping that my 2020 would do the same.

I might just suck it up, use my MBP for 2-3 years and then upgrade to the 2023-2024 ARM MBP then. I'm hoping for Apple to come out with a good trade-in program similar to their iPhone trade-in plan.

On a side note, if Apple does come out with Q4 13" MBP, I almost wished they didn't just release the Intel Mac 13" MBP last month.

earlyadoptermakeshistory

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
Out of interest, how do you feel with the ARM annoucement? Do you regret buying? How long do you think you will have this Mac? (Thanks).

I've bought my 13" 2020 10th gen MBP, i7, 32 gb ram, 4tb ssd some weeks after the announcement and it arrived so that I have a window to return it overlapping the WWDC Apple Silicon announcement.

My decision is to keep it nonetheless. I have been through a transition before, from Power PC to Intel, and it all worked flawlessly for users, so this for me it's just a normal machine that will go through its normal intended life cycle.
If my multi decade experience with Apple notebooks has taught me something, is that, like my username states, early adopters make history but they also incur into first version problems. Take for example the Powerbook g4 titanium. Stupendous machine, incredibly powerful at its time and still wonderful today to look at. however, it was literally plagued by a design fault where the hinges broke and you were left holding the screen in your hands. Two different units broke on me of that machine. I was a student then and it was literally PAINFUL. Mac hardware then was even more expensive than today, comparatively.

Maybe we'll see a wonderful 14" apple silicon laptop smoking the current 13" away with performance, heat management and battery life, free of hardware problems, and boy I really hope so. If and when this happens, I might trade up.

If, or until, it does not happen, I will use this machine and continue with my usual update cycle which means that my next machine will be a new desktop Mac. Likely it will be an Apple Silicon one.

Gbeer

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2020
I've bought my 13" 2020 10th gen MBP, i7, 32 gb ram, 4tb ssd some weeks after the announcement and it arrived so that I have a window to return it overlapping the WWDC Apple Silicon announcement.

My decision is to keep it nonetheless. I have been through a transition before, from Power PC to Intel, and it all worked flawlessly for users, so this for me it's just a normal machine that will go through its normal intended life cycle.
If my multi decade experience with Apple notebooks has taught me something, is that, like my username states, early adopters make history but they also incur into first version problems. Take for example the Powerbook g4 titanium. Stupendous machine, incredibly powerful at its time and still wonderful today to look at. however, it was literally plagued by a design fault where the hinges broke and you were left holding the screen in your hands. Two different units broke on me of that machine. I was a student then and it was literally PAINFUL. Mac hardware then was even more expensive than today, comparatively.

Maybe we'll see a wonderful 14" apple silicon laptop smoking the current 13" away with performance, heat management and battery life, free of hardware problems, and boy I really hope so. If and when this happens, I might trade up.

If, or until, it does not happen, I will use this machine and continue with my usual update cycle which means that my next machine will be a new desktop Mac. Likely it will be an Apple Silicon one.
Thanks for the reply. I bought my MBP13 2020 i7 16gb on the day of release, May 4th. My Surface Pro 4 was on its last legs and I held out until the MBP was updated.
Little frustrated with how good the ARM looked last night, and an ARM MBP would be awesome. The only thing that bugs me is going forward being on an outdated chipset. But your words make sense and helped see some sense. Use this for 2 - 3 years then upgrade when the ARM teething problems are sorted and software is more available. Nice to see I'm not the only one! I'm sure happy with do some trade-in deal in a few years.

Reactions: surf4peace

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

I watched the keynote yesterday with my new 2020 MacBook Pro. I had my 32" 4K monitor running (with a bunch of other programs that weren't doing much) and the fans started to spin when the video was on. I could see, while using Intel's Power Gadget that the temperature went up a bit when I just plugged in the 4K display.

I wondered if the fans were the sign that the computer was nervous seeing its future replacement (someday)... :)

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

I'm keeping my i7/32GB/1TB - I probably could return it since the stores in my area are still closed, but it's what I need right now and checks all of my boxes today. Selling/returning now for something that 1) still has to come out, 2) may not work for my needs, and 3) may be full of issues is a gamble that doesn't make sense for me because I have no older Mac to fall back on and my older Asus laptop is Windows only. My only minor lookback is that I probably could have made due with the i5/16GB/1TB and saved some dollars there, but I can also make it back up by purchasing a refurb ARM MBP when they come available!

Like you, I'm tempted by the 24" iMac (always wanted one) and I'm thinking about getting it since I don't have a desktop device. That could satisfy my ARM curiosity while not compromising what I have in my current 2020 13" MBP. If Apple returns to allowing the iMac to be used as a second monitor that would be a bonus, but I will take it paired with my 27" 4K as well.

Reactions: surf4peace

earlyadoptermakeshistory

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
I totally understand if somebody who today already has a powerful machine decides to wait out for some months until the first Apple Silicon machines come out.

My current fall-back iMac is from 2015 and it seriously needed an update... sometimes it paused for half a minute while playing movies on vlc...

Reactions: Ocnetgeek

mackieap

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
iPhone: 51.465267,-0.143505
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I current have a MacBook Pro 2017 (2 TB ports) as my company machine. The display is pretty terrible - the colours are nice, but it has very uneven backlighting/grading when viewing white pages - kind of like whiteish/blueish spots, but then near the corners they turn yellow-y white (as if the screen is dirty).

I know this was an issue with MBPs since they moved to newer, thinner cases (compared to my personal 2013 rMBP which has a perfect screen 7 years on...so much better!) but does the issue persist with this latest version of 13" MBP?
Thanks...

masterhide

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
Finally I decide to return my maxed out 13" 2020 back to the store. Unfortunately this unit unacceptable for me. CPU 90-100C most of the time - unacceptable.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ

Well said!

I bought this with the full intention that this will be the machine I use for at least the next 5 years. I of course purchased the fully loaded 2019 with the same intentions, but the double RAM and double SSD storage got me excited, and the changing the keyboard pushed me over. Mind you, I never had any of the keyboard issues, my problem with the butterfly has always been user error typos. For some reason, I was just never able to fully bond with them. I tried to convince myself, sell myself, but in the end, it has been a night and day difference in my speed and accuracy.

On the ARM note, I can deal with occasional hiccups and bugs when it comes to my iPhone a lot easier than I could deal with them on my computer. I am typically an early adapter on most everything in my computing life, but my MacBook NEEDS to be stabile. The final thing that sold me 100% on the 2020 MacBook is that this will be the final and best version of this generation. For 3-4 years, people were still buying the 2015 at high values because of the shortcomings of the next generation. Seems Apple listened for the most part regarding the latest computers, and I will sit out the next generations growing pains and really enjoy the stability of this new machine for as long as I can get out of it.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
Yeah, I wonder how many ppl are going to do the same. Unfortunately I already gave away my 2013 MBP after I got my 2020 a few days ago, so no option to return mine.

I'm just hoping that Apple will offer a good trade-in program (does one exist right now? similar to what they do with iPhones?) to salvage some value on my MBP when the drop in support will inevitably happen 2-4 years from now. I enjoyed a very healthy 7+ years of full support on my 2013 and was hoping for the same for the 2020, but don't think that'll happen.
Apple absolutely do not offer a good trade-in programme for Macs. I sold my MacBook pro 15" for 80% more privately than what Apple offered.
So I would just sell outside the Apple offering. Unless of course the Intel Macs become effectively worthless - which I hope they don't as I bought a MBP 13" last month. Cheers
[automerge]1593398503[/automerge]
If you can depreciate it with dimenshing value, and you're desperate, you'll be able to claim a lot of depreciation and sell it, getting an ARM version next Financial year
[automerge]1593398550[/automerge]

Interesting - I definitely won't be returning as the keyboard is so so much better than the 2018 MBP.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Picked up a 2020 13” i5 16GB 1TB model at the Apple store today and love the size. No evidence of any thermal issues and the fans were silent except for when I was installing software. Even had it connected to a caldigit ts3 driving two older external monitors and had no problems. I will however be returning it. I love the size of the laptop but after using it for a couple hours I found that the screen is just too small for my 50+ year old eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.