Macbook Pro 6,2 Core i7 Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vladinecko, Apr 22, 2010.

1. vladinecko macrumors member

i'm really hoping i'm not alone here.

as soon as i got my new mbp last week i started experiencing some major performance and other issues.

1. random temporary freezes: this is quite random but happens about 3-4 times a day. when launching an application or doing something within an application (like loading a page in safari or changing a playlist in iTunes), i get the spinning beachball and the *entire system* becomes unresponsive for about 30 seconds. at first i thought it was the hard drive waking up but i disabled it going to sleep so that's not it.

2. application crashes: it doesn't really matter what app it is, it crashed multiple times on me since last week. iTunes, safari, xcode, you name it.

3. USB peripheral settings: i'm not sure what they did in this revision but when i attach a peripheral in a USB port, its settings are no longer remembered (as they were on my MBP 4,1). one example is the Creative Xmod. attaching it does nothing now while before it automatically changed all the sound settings to output to that device.

4. headphone jack woes: attaching headphones 3 out of 4 times does nothing. the sound still comes out of the laptop speakers (which is the better case) or it doesn't come out at all. i tried two different pairs of headphones and have the same problem. it takes a few ins and outs before i get the system to recognize the headphones and have the sound actually going to them.

5. windows 7 via boot camp: can't get the graphics working for the life of it. i installed the latest boot camp tools (3.1) and the nVidia chip simply won't get recognized. i read that people have the opposite problem - the 330m chip is constantly on. maybe the graphics is the problem on my machine...

before you all start telling me to run memory and other system checks, i ran them all. everything came out "OK." this seems like either the OS not playing nice with the hardware or something is not wired correctly.

anyone else having any or all of these problems on their 6,2 revision of macbook pro?

2. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

for numbers 1-4, ive had no problems. Try taking it to the apple store.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would take it to the store to have it checked out. If you bought it directly from Apple, take your box and materials too.

4. rawd macrumors regular

5. SonicEarth macrumors member

6. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

I've had Safari crash exactly once, and iPhoto seemed to freeze when importing 800 photos from my iPhone but didn't lose any data. Nothing like you're reporting. Using MS Office, iPhoto, Safari, etc., syncing my iPhone & importing my library into iTunes, pretty smooth overall.

7. dyn macrumors 68030

Is this the original factory installation or did you use Time Machine, some sort of image or swapped the hard drive? If it's not the factory default installation, try using that (or a new install) because your installation might lack some adjustments Apple made for the new MBP. If all of that doesn't work, it might be the motherboard acting up which needs to be repaired.

8. vladinecko thread starter macrumors member

i used the install DVD that came in the box. not because i wanted to but because my retail snow leopard DVD would simply not boot on this computer. it boots fine on my MBP 4,1.

after a clean install, i restored all my data from the time machine. i'm pretty sure it only imported all the data - no system files, because it even told me the previous time machine was configured on a different mac.

right now, i'm fairly certain i got a bad machine. i watched a podcast in itunes and the system froze three times for 20 seconds. the problem i have is that it's really hard to reproduce. if i went to the apple store - the issue may never come up. that's why i'm trying to find a solid way to reproduce it.

it's a bit discouraging no one else is having these problems - it would have been a lot easier to talk to the apple folk.

9. mosdef macrumors newbie

I have not experienced any of those issues. I bet you its not the hardware, but some combo of applications you installed.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine says 6,2 as well.

12. vladinecko thread starter macrumors member

nope, mine is 6,2. this is the 15-incher

13. chopper dave macrumors regular

I also did a reinstall from the factor DVD (plus the update)
    I had some really weird itunes and Safari crashes this morning that brought down the whole system twice, enough that I was starting to get worried- I wasn't sure if it was my F100 SSD freaking out or the OS. Then I did 2 hard resets and they haven't come back since.

People say to take it back to Apple, but I think that is a little silly unless you have a problem that is repeatable, or at least something that happens often enough that you can show it to a Genius (and I use that term loosely).

14. vladinecko thread starter macrumors member

exactly, and that's what i worry about. it happens often enough for it to impact my work but i'm sure it will never happen while i'm in the store. that's why i want to find the root cause of it so that i could cause the freeze predictively.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Oh ok never mind the 15" seems to be 6,2, the 17" is 6,1.

16. shaiwon macrumors newbie

insomnia

My MBP doesn't seem to want to go to sleep if I have the sleep timer on, with both the battery and the power adapter. The display will go to sleep, but I can still hear the computer on and the white light in the front is not pulsating. It does sleep when I close the lid, however.

Anyone else having this issue?

17. Redbookpro macrumors newbie

I had the freezing. I created a new user account, and it stopped.

Something I imported from Time Machine screwed me up. Yes, it's highly annoying! But, it's not the machine, it's your user account.

18. shaiwon macrumors newbie

It's not freezing on me when I put it to sleep. The problem is it doesn't go to sleep on its own if I set the timer. I don't think it's my user account because I tested it with a new account I created and the problem persists. I tried resetting the SMC and repairing disk permissions to no avail. Apple tech support suggesting reinstalling the operating system. Before I do that, I'm trying to find out if it has to do with the hardware or the software (i.e. 10.6.3).

19. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

20. shaiwon macrumors newbie

Forget what I said. I tried it again and it went to sleep! I can happily say that my MBP is without issues. :D

21. kunfunyu macrumors member

22. james809 macrumors newbie

My mb pro also lags and hangs and crashes. The start up time is also pretty slow, at about 30-40 seconds, wasn't it supposed to be much faster?

Also, my screen is not rigid, just a bit of typing and it keeps shaking.

Should I send it for an exchange? (I still can do it)

23. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Unless you type with your forehead, there should be no shaking. Get it fixed.

24. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

It could be a lemon, but it also sounds like you might have some incompatable apps loaded.

I have an imac i5 that I loaded protools on. This software caused EVERYTHING to go haywire. Even if PT was not running apps would crash. If i would play something in itunes it would play for maybe 3 secs and than i would lose audio.

Turns out the protools is not really that compatable with the new intel chips, and you may have an app on there that is causing your MBP to behave in a similar fashion.

Before I go through the trouble of returning it i would try a clean install of the system software and than IMPORT (not restore from time machine) your itunes and iphoto library and see how things run. If your machine can run with those installed only than Id say its not your machine but an application that was causing the issue.