Macbook Pro 8,1 - Stay on High Sierra or move to Linux?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fellipeh, Jul 11, 2019.

1. fellipeh macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a Macbook Pro 8,1... and the latest supported macOs version for my machine is High Sierra... since it's 2017 OS I was thinking:

It's worth stay on High Sierra, with no more updates... or move to Linux?

My current machine is:

Mackbook Pro 8,1
    Intel i7
    16GB rAM
    1 SSD - 128Gb
    1 HDD - 780Gb

2. HappyInAustralia macrumors newbie

I used to have that model until a month or so ago, then got a 2017 MBP with Mojave... after a week I put High Sierra back on it. I feel that by dumbing down some things and taking away control from the user, there are ways that may make the newer Mac OS *less* secure, at least if you know what you're doing. You can harden it High Sierra against most any threat, though Linux well run nicely on then (Ubuntu 18.04 and the like were a good one to play around with before I replaced my old laptop)

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

High Sierra is still getting security updates and this should continue until later next year.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I would just stay on High Sierra forever.
    Linux...?
    ugggghhhhh.....

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You do realize OS X is a flavor of UNIX kernel that runs both Linux and OS X. In a sense, using Linux would be analogous to using OS X; heck, similar even.

However, a more curious question to the OP, why Linux? Why not another flavor of OS X?

6. theluggage macrumors 601

No.

Mac OS X and the various Linux distributions** are two examples of a huge family of "Unix-like operating systems" that share some concepts with the original Unix operating systems and are partially source-code compatible. The kernels are completely different (in fact there's a holy war in the Unix community about kernel design, and OS X and Linux are pretty much on opposite sides).

Mac OS can't run Linux software. What it can do is run software written for Unix-like operating systems (including Linux) that has been re-compiled from the source code after making a number of patches to make it work properly with MacOS. Also, a lot of Linux/Unix software with a graphical user interface needs the X Window interface and the Mac implementation of that is pretty clunky alongside the Mac user interface.

Linux-to-MacOS porting can be a lot easier than (say) porting software from Windows - partly because Linux/Unix programmers tend to think more about cross-platform issues than the Windows-only world - but it can still be a non-trivial job.

Going the other way, Mac OS includes many proprietary Apple libraries and application frameworks (including the whole Mac graphical user interface, and a lot more besides) - it is possible to write code for command-line tools and suchlike that runs on both Mac OS and Linux - or even more sophisticated stuff if you stick to cross-platform tools and libraries, but the majority of native Mac applications would need a major re-write to run on Linux.

From the point of view of most users, the Unix parts of MacOS are irrelevant and switching to a "traditional" Unix-like OS would be switching to a completely unfamiliar system.

*** If you want to get pedantic, (a) Linux refers to an operating system kernel (also used by Android and ChromeOS) and complete operating systems like, say Ubuntu or Fedora include lots of stuff that is not technically part of Linux and (b) Linux is not Unix, but MacOS is Unix, because its certified and registered with the group that own the Unix trademark.

Because they have an old Mac that isn't supported by any version of MacOS newer than High Sierra.

7. jerryk macrumors 601

I prefer Linux distros over MacOS. I spend a lot time in the shells on cloud systems and MacOS has more than a few quirks. Also never have liked brew for managing installs.