Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KavalierMalta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Malta
Hello, Forum Users :)

Tomorrow I will be getting my MacBook Pro 2017 15" version and was looking to increase the functionality by adding an adapter.

The ports that I would like from the adapter are USB 3.0, HDMI ports. Ethernet cable is not a must since WIFI signal is strong enough for internet browsing.

Can you please recommend me some adapters that you think will meet my requirements.

Thanks in advance,
KavalierMalta.

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Why not get one that isn't physically attached to the computer blocking a perfectly usable port? Especially the Satechi, which is only usable specifically with this generation MBP given the port gap.

There's loads of these things available and any will be suitable provided you're not worried about power. If you are you want to look at a thunderbolt 3 dock, not a USB-C one. If you're not then literally any, just grab one that has the ports you wanted and you'll be fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's quite a few of these out there, it will take some investigating in order to pick a good one.

Places like amazon.com reviews might be good to start.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
@New_Mac_Smell Thanks for your input.

What I like about https://www.hypershop.com/products/...rbolt-3-usb-c-macbook-pro-13-and-15-2016-2017 is that it fits perfectly with the MacBook. Also, I can leave it attached with the Macbook since it will be in a fixed position.

Still searching and waiting for more feedback from you guys, since I think there are better alternatives.

Just be careful with them is all I recommend. They're only designed to put put in when at a desk, as they don't support their own weight through anything other than the USB port on the computer. Anything attached to it adds weight and can potentially cause connection issues should it drop out a little.

I agree they look a little better, but practicality wise for their purpose (I doubt you'd need it when portable) it's not a good design. Separate cable to a separate dock is a better mechanical solution, the connected straight to the device is the aesthetic solution. Just know which you're sacrificing before heading in is all.

KavalierMalta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Malta
Good Point, regarding portability, I will be using a backpack with good padding, so the risk of damaging the laptop or the hub will be diminished. There is always that slight 0.1% but :)

Still searching but so far I think hypershop version is the best.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Good Point, regarding portability, I will be using a backpack with good padding, so the risk of damaging the laptop or the hub will be diminished. There is always that slight 0.1% but :)

Still searching but so far I think hypershop version is the best.
Were you thinking about leaving the adapter connected while in your backpack? I would advise against doing that with any of these adapters. Even the flush ones have some play to them. It would not take much force to bend or even break the USB-C connector, and if it broke the port(s) on the computer, that would obviously be a big problem.

KavalierMalta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Malta
Regarding the adapter from what you told me, I will leave it in the pouch provided.

Found this adapter also http://www.dockcase.com/ doing some research also about it.

So far still undecided about which hub/adapter to get.

Lucian.c

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
I use this this multi-port adapter I got on Amazon with my 2017 15". Works very well so far (had it for about a month). It lacks ethernet, but does have 3 USB 3.0 (type A), SD card reader, HDMI, and USB C passthrough for charging (but will only supply 60 watts via passthrough).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7C53K2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has newer version suppley 100W via passthrough.
https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Charger-100W-Charging-Output/dp/B072268Q68/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

KavalierMalta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Malta
Yes saw that version. Seems it got good reviews also. If I decide to go for a hub with a cable, I think that would be the option.

edenorchestra

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have this, bought it when they offered a Kickstarter contribution of $69.95, its now $99.95 but works very well and has a full charging port as well as full Thunderbolt 3 support with the (2) USB-C connections. Looks good, well built, and most of all works. Be weary of the advise: "any will be suitable provided you're not worried about power" They're are many versions of USB data speeds, and a lot of crap on Amazon.
https://www.hypershop.com/products/...rbolt-3-usb-c-macbook-pro-13-and-15-2016-2017

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.