Macbook Pro are not so Professional

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmggs, Apr 9, 2010.

1. jmggs macrumors regular

jmggs

i have bought a macbook pro almost 2 years and i have many problems. Fist screen have died, the super drive after 6 moths stopped to work. the battery after one year only have 1 hour of autonomy. Lately on keyboard pad the aluminum is getting ugly and today my mag safe adapator the cable as passed out.

This machine is not a pro machine. i use the computer all day long for work. and it was to expensive to have so many problems. i love osx but the hardware.....

any of you guys have problems like this?

the magsafe and the aluminum problem the warranty cover that?
    thanks

Here in Portugal the warranty is 2 years.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Parts fail on all levels of machine, consumer to "professional."

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple has just added the three letters "Pro" to almost all of its laptops to make them sell better... It's a marketing trick, it tells nothing about the quality.

IMO only high-end 15" and 17" (models with 9600M GT) could be called "Pro" models as a professional e.g. video editor can throw a MBP with 9400M out of the window.

Yes, MagSafe adapter and the aluminum enclosure are covered by the same warranty

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

My work laptops used to all be Dell Latitudes (had four of them over the last 10 years). I always bought next-day on-site service and have had to avail myself of that service 6 times on those various machines. For the most part they were unreliable, and of course the problems with Windows failures are well known on both Windows 2000 and XP, the versions I used.

I've had a MacBook Pro for the last 2.5 years and have not had a single problem. It is by far the most reliable laptop computer I've used. My 2 business partners, both of whom have had the same experiences, agree.

5. jmggs thread starter macrumors regular

jmggs

yeah but so many fails for a so expensive machine is too much. before my macbook pro i used a vaio and 0 problems after 5 years of use. I switch to mac because of software. but the hardware problems are make me crazy.

In Portugal 2000€ for a computer is too much, an average Portuguese owns 800€ for month....

did you know if the warranty cover the magsafe problems and aluminum discoloration?

thanks

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

No, just the 13" MacBook Pro is not pro.

*trollface* *ensues flame war*

7. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

"Macbook Pro" is the name of a line of Apple laptops. The word "Pro" is part of that name, it does not indicate that the computer is for "Professional" use.
    Then don't buy one..

8. jmggs thread starter macrumors regular

jmggs

the point is that a expensive computer needs to be reliable. i have bought a macbook pro because i work with video and fcp not a 400€ PC. and not buy one is no option. i use and need fcp. i dont think is normal for a two years computer so many problems for 2000€.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What "should" happen is often different from what "does" happen. It's certainly annoying to have machines fail on you, but honestly the quantity of problems you're having seem unusual. I've had two Macbook Pros now and haven't had anything other than minor problems.

10. jmggs thread starter macrumors regular

jmggs

yeah its annoying. i hope i can resolve under warranty because in this moment i can't afford another macbook pro. i take care of my computer and handle with care its even more frustrating.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

I agree...that's true. But your experience is different than the vast majority of MacBook Pro owners.

You've had some bad luck. Might happen with any laptop computer.

12. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

If you bought the AppleCare you would be covered under all the items you mention except maybe for the key discoloration.

I know they do not do MAC but I have owned 5 ThinkPads and they have not had a single failure, not even the first dead pixel and yet I have never owned a MBP that did not have some problem. Apples hardware is good but not perfect and they have their share of problems. They do have excellent service if you live near a place you can bring it in. Hope this is true where you live.

13. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have had a Powerbook G4 for 7 years and have had to have it repaired only once. I have a two year old Macbook Pro, whose logic board failed. That, however, was covered by AppleCare. Otherwise, it has been trouble free.

Macbook Pros are premium products that sell for premium prices. Given what you paid for yours, I understand your frustration. Nevertheless, I suggest that what has happened to you is an aberration. I am encouraged in this belief by the good reputation and sales that the Macbook Pro line continues to enjoy.

I assume that you did not buy AppleCare coverage because if you had done so, failures within the first three years would have been covered.

14. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

My Macbook Pro got into a few problems with the Logic Board. After a few faulty fixes, Apple sent me a new laptop, and gave me 1 month to return the old one.

Machines fail, and in every batch there is a rotten apple. Sounds like you had some back luck: it happens to all of us!

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

At least in EU you get a 2-year warranty by default. As was said elsewhere in this thread, all laptops fail. Apple is using standard components to build MBP's, so we shouldn't have any unusual expectations as far as their longevity goes. The Apple service usually is excellent though.

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Not in Greece unfortunately.:(

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Have you tried asking them to replace it? I think in the US they would have if you asked after so many hardware issues. The rule of thumb in the US with Apple is three hardware repairs and the next issue they can replace the computer if asked--and that's not even for pushy consumers. I've had Macs replaced after only 1 hardware issue.

18. Pax macrumors 6502a

The Magsafe should definitely be covered.

The aluminium problem could be.

Your battery should be covered as well:- I think Apple uses "80% capacity after 300 cycles" as its test. If your battery fails that test they will replace it. This is based upon Apple UK (and USA I believe)

I think you should have a serious conversation with Apple about the problems you have had. My experience of Apple UK is that they take problems with their products very seriously and will fix problems like this even if they are not "strictly" covered by the warranty. But you need to talk to them in a positive way.

19. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I'm from Portugal too and yes apple doesn't have any "official" stores and as in most stores of whatever the products they sell they try not to honor warranties, and the prices are really stupid, it's cheaper to import an macbook pro. Every pc over 700 eur kicks macbook pro 15'' ass in specs. Already had an issue with an ipod my luck was that if the brand doesn't repair within 30 days in some stores you get your money back..

20. vectus macrumors member

Since this is an issue with your Macbook specifically, I think it is unfair to say that Apple hardware is not worth it.

How come nobody else has the same issues as you? It's clearly not an Apple problem.

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

according to THIS POLL i started last year you're in the minority.

it sucks to be the one it happens to but if you get it fixed or replaced the odds are in your favor.

22. Bibblejw macrumors newbie

Personally, I've seen failures in compnents in all parts of all machines. The difference between pro and consumer is how this is dealt with.
    In big enterprise machines, it's dealt with simply by redundancy. When a part fails, another one does the job until the first is replaced.
    In professional applications, it is done by expensive service. When a part fails, you pick up the phone, yell, and someone comes over to fix it the following day, or you file for damages (you made me loose £xxx).
    In consumer, it's done by standard service. A part fails, and you call someone. Then you mail the unit to the manufacturer, who says he can't find anything, looses it, finds it, delegates to a minion who beats it with a hamer, declares it dead, looses all the data and finally, maybe, replaces it.
    In enthusiast, a part fails, and you identify it and replace it yourself.

With Apple, really, the lower two levels simply don't exsist. The other thing that attracts me to Apple is that they actually have physical stores with physical people in them. Which means that, if it's really important, you can go and see them, and use (mostly) words to convey the importance of the task much better than you could to "Bob" in Taiwan, who really couldn't care less about your product.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and you are entitled to disagree.

23. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

What do you do with your MBP ? Lend it out to junkies to sleep with it ? My father and I have had two MBPs for over 4 years and we've never had these problems like "keyboard pad aluminum get ugly".

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Really? I thought this was across all EU countries.

25. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

Not in France too. 1 year warranty only and 3 years with Apple care.