Macbook Pro back from repair, has a scratch now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, Jan 17, 2015.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Just got my rMBP back from repair, (Apple replaced the logic board) and it has a scratch on the bottom. Almost positive that was not there before. Ugh. What should I do? I hate to go in to the store and be "that guy" but this is a real bummer.

Thoughts?

2. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Well a scratch on the bottom can't be seen and unless it causes some structural problems like it can't hold or protect your computer anymore it really isn't such a big deal and want can you do? They won't give you a new computer.

Can you prove with pictures that the scratch wasn't there? I don't think they will be really dicks at the apple store, but they can say they're not responsible for it since you can't prove they did it.

Maybe you can get an apple gift card out of it, but unless you really have OCD issues don't worry about it.

3. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Dude just go back, if that doesn't work, just call apple and talk to a senior helper

i know how it fells, tried to replace and iPad, because there was a scratch, and they wouldn't budge, and tried to sell me a case!

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

But OP isn't even sure, and the bottom is a common place to get a scratch without noticing for obvious reasons. I'd personally chalk that one up to "life".

5. Xeridionix macrumors regular

Without some form of concrete proof that it wasn't scratched prior to the computer leaving your possession there isn't a whole lot to go on, and even then it's purely cosmetic. I could see it being more bothersome if it were on the palm rest or the lid of the display, but being located on the bottom I would try not to worry about it so much.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is it worth your time to argue a point that they may just say you did it (and you would have no proof to say otherwise unfortunately)?

I wouldn't worry about it, especially as it is on the bottom. Plus it is a tool. don't sweat the small things:)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go back and discuss the issue, especially since its bothering you.

8. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Did they not inspect it on check-in? Whenever I've had service, they look over the computer and document any flaws on the work order.

Barring that, if it's just cosmetic (doesn't catch on things) I think either forget about it or buy a bottom cover from eBay that's in good condition. The laptop was in your custody much longer and it doesn't make much sense to assume they did it without knowing the condition beforehand.

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Pics?

Unless it's a huge gouge that could affect resale value I'd ignore it. I don't care what the bottom of my laptops look like.

10. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I can post some pics later, they did not do a visual inspection at the store while I was there. They could replace the bottom case for me. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother though.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I will say that I bought a mbp once and there was a slight dent in the bottom casing. Apple store didn't believe I didn't cause it and I was out of luck. I truly didn't cause it and had to learn to live with it

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If they didn't do a visual inspection and print out the check in form for you to sign, you very well may have standing, as policy was not followed.

If it bothers you and you know for a fact you didn't do it, bring it to the attention of the manager at the store.

13. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

UGH! I just gave it a closer inspection and these scratches were definitely NOT here when I brought it in. This is a brand new machine that they repaired. There's not one, but TWO (presumably) screwdriver scratches from their sloppy work. Pics below.

Attached Files:

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, the first picture is pretty clear that that is what happened. I would get to the Apple store asap.

15. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Good luck, but they at the most will give you a gift card for 50 bucks and an apology and some guy at the store gets yelled at or the gift card is taken from his or her paycheck.

16. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

but the OP doesn't know if it was there prior... why argue with Apple over something that the OP may of caused and didn't know

17. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Doubt it was me, I've had a Speck case on it.

18. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Bring it back... Definitely looks like a poor job tightening the screws. I wouldn't accept that.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

LOL - WHY didn't you mention that before??? Take it back (with the case), explain that you keep it cased and therefore it is extremely likely the scratches occurred while uncased in Apple's care....and see what happens.

20. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm at the Apple Store right now and they're swapping out the bottom cover for free. Way to go, Apple!

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As it should be.

Mistakes happen and I am glad to see they are rectifying their mistake.

22. Xeridionix macrumors regular

Glad to hear that they are resolving this issue for you! :)

23. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

if it is on the bottom, nobody will recognize it at all. this is a one reason we pay pro prizes for basic devices because everybody wants to replace something... that was just a tiny scratch on the bottom... annoying? yes because it wasn yourself who did it... need to be replaced? no, imo.

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You take your car in for an oil change. While getting in and out of your car, the mechanic scratches the paint with one of his tools. It isn't a huge scratch but, just large enough to notice paint missing. You bring this to the attention of the manager who says, that is why car prices are so high. Everyone wants to replace something. It's just a small scratch on your 911 Porche, sir. In time, you will get over it.

25. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

not the same thing. the car needs that painting to protect the car from a chemical corrosion and the scratch is visible.