Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
not the same thing. the car needs that painting to protect the car from a chemical corrosion and the scratch is visible.

It isn't exactly the same situation. The point is the computer was in Apple's care, custody, and control. And when an employee damages a customer's property (for whatever reason) the company is liable. And one of the ways that Apple protects itself is through the check in process, where the employee is supposed to take a history of the problem, look over the computer for established damage, and have the customer sign the work order acknowledging the pre-existing damage (if any) and authorization of the work to be done. In this case, that did not occur.

At least one of the pictures posted clearly shows what appears to be a scratch around one of the screw holes. It appears, that the employee's hand slipped while either removing or inserting the screw into the case thus causing the scratch.

Apple (in my opinion) was liable for the damage caused to the case.

If the customer had demanded a brand new computer or some other compensation not directly related to the scratch on the case, your previous point would have some validity. That did not occur. The customer asked to be made whole and Apple rightfully obliged.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You take your car in for an oil change. While getting in and out of your car, the mechanic scratches the paint with one of his tools. It isn't a huge scratch but, just large enough to notice paint missing. You bring this to the attention of the manager who says, that is why car prices are so high. Everyone wants to replace something. It's just a small scratch on your 911 Porche, sir. In time, you will get over it.

Forget the Porsche. :) If I bring my Chevy Cavlier in for service and you return it to me with a scratch on the fender, you are going to fix that scratch. :mad: I'm glad Apple did the right thing.

DJEmergency

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
send it back. I had a dent and a screw driver mark at the bottom of mine and on the phone they're replacing the whole bottom panel and gave me an extra 90 day warrantee :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.